Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 AM

320 posts, read 487,165 times

Advertisements

On 620 between Boulder and 2222 yesterday, there were at least 15 police vehicles working to pull over speeders (I assume) on 620. They were staging them behind Home Depot handing out tickets all day. Most were big dump trucks and works trucks - the worse offenders on that road. Also happily saw a few other regular cars. I've seen people doing 70 mph+ on that road weaving in and out of cars like they are playing a video game. It's about time they address the dangerous driving conditions on that stretch of road. I hope this exercise gives them the insight to reduce the speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 06:32 AM

366 posts, read 433,179 times
I absolutely hate getting off of 183, and trying to merge onto Research, near Hymeadow Dr. I have to always manage to scoot over to the far right lane, which is nearly impossible due to the speeding traffic.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Don't know why so many drivers seem to think the speed limits aren't applicable to them. Then they resent the ticket & the officer when they get nailed.

Very few heed the blinking warning lights by the park on Avery Ranch that lower the limit from 40 to 30. Almost nobody, including neighborhood residents, slow down for that stretch.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamenottaken View Post
On 620 between Boulder and 2222 yesterday, there were at least 15 police vehicles working to pull over speeders (I assume) on 620. They were staging them behind Home Depot handing out tickets all day. Most were big dump trucks and works trucks - the worse offenders on that road. Also happily saw a few other regular cars. I've seen people doing 70 mph+ on that road weaving in and out of cars like they are playing a video game. It's about time they address the dangerous driving conditions on that stretch of road. I hope this exercise gives them the insight to reduce the speed limit.
It's about time. I guess once that stretch of 620 claimed enough lives - including a police officer - they felt it necessary to take some action (while making $ of course) to shake the finger but do little else. But they will not reduce the speed. Just like Anderson Mill where the death tally is rising too because of speeding through the turns. During the last accident on Anderson Mill I spoke with the officers on the scene who said, "it's ridiculous" inferring that the city refuses to reduce the speed or improve the conditions with signals etc. but the accidents are becoming more and more frequent.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM

215 posts, read 351,246 times
This is the thanks Texas gets for being generous and opening its lands too more development then common sense.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
During the last accident on Anderson Mill I spoke with the officers on the scene who said, "it's ridiculous" inferring that the city refuses to reduce the speed or improve the conditions with signals etc. but the accidents are becoming more and more frequent.
Speed limits are generally set at the 85 percentile speed.

Now, they could add signals or other measures to reduce the 85%, but that takes time.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM

36 posts, read 75,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
It's about time. I guess once that stretch of 620 claimed enough lives - including a police officer - they felt it necessary to take some action (while making $ of course) to shake the finger but do little else. But they will not reduce the speed. Just like Anderson Mill where the death tally is rising too because of speeding through the turns. During the last accident on Anderson Mill I spoke with the officers on the scene who said, "it's ridiculous" inferring that the city refuses to reduce the speed or improve the conditions with signals etc. but the accidents are becoming more and more frequent.
What part of Anderson Mill? There was recently a increase of speed on that road between 183 and 620.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by registered user View Post
What part of Anderson Mill? There was recently a increase of speed on that road between 183 and 620.
That part.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,472,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Speed limits are generally set at the 85 percentile speed.

Now, they could add signals or other measures to reduce the 85%, but that takes time.
Anderson Mill is loaded with lights. I don't know where they could possibly add more.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Anderson Mill is loaded with lights. I don't know where they could possibly add more.
True, but that stretch between 183 & 620 (actually Pecan Creek Pkwy & 183) has NO median, NO left turn lanes, NO right turn lanes & they've shoe horned a freaking bike lane into an already skinny 4 lane road which is a major connecting road.

Add to that there's 3 elementary schools with mommies running up & down it....along with a MS AND a HS (with HS students) trying to cross a 45 MPH road (which means many are going 50) with no freaking turn lane or median.

I'm thinking that since it acts as the Wilco/Travco line on much of it, maybe the two counties are waiting for the other to blink first to make the improvements that were needed 10 years ago. They'll probably do something after a pretty HS Junior is killed in a RAV trying to turn into a turning lane that doesn't exist...or a mommy & two of her elementary kids are killed when the Honda minivan she's driving clips a Dump truck (both going the speed limit) & flips on the too skinny lanes that they currently have to drive on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin