Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM

431 posts, read 474,653 times

Advertisements

Dont know if any of you has experianced this

but i had a minor accident couple of weeks ago no serious injury nobody was harmed ( i hit a parked car) fender bender ) no citation no warning .
i dont have any points on my license have not a accident to blame for years 40 years of good driving no accidents (to blame ) no cititions for 30 years .

SO then this morning i received a letter from the texas department of public safety

worded
this department has received information indicating you MAY have a CONDITION which could prevent your safe operation of a motor vehicle

We find it necassary for you to demonstrate your qualifications as a driver by passing a comprehensive exam

satifactory completion of the exam will PRECLUDE THE NECESSITY of initiating ***** further action against your privilege to operate a motor vehicle *****

sound like a threat to me second paragraph
no evidence of drugs .etc no reason given what does **condition mean **
help anybody
do i need a attorney?
why me ?
is this a new thing or somebody v being over officuos where did the **information COME FROM*** no witnesses to the accident ,police report , damage to other vehicle paid by insurance .whats the deal
are we in a police state now ......?..
i have arthritis have a handicap placard ....... ALL AND ANY REPLIES WILL BE APPRECIATED

Last edited by Debsi; 08-17-2014 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: profanity in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Texas Medical Revocation

Quote:
An individual may submit, in writing, their concerns of drivers who may have a medical condition that could affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. All written concerns may be submitted anonymously to DPS (i.e. the document is not required to be signed by the individual reporting the concern).

Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Call your insurance company and talk to them.
Legal representation is part of what you pay for but don't know about if it wasn't reported.

I would call them first before anything else and see what advice they have to give you.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM

I see that but there has not been a MEDICAL evalueation
. does that letter mean they are going to give me a medical test .
does that law mean anybody can sent a letter to the dma about somebodies condition without evidence

Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Sounds like the police officer had reason to think that "you MAY have a CONDITION which could prevent your safe operation of a motor vehicle".

I can't imagine that TDPS would order such a test based solely on an individual citizen's complaint. Given the ADA I doubt the state takes this path based on scant evidence. Probably not a medical test, but rather a test of your reaction time and the physical dexterity required to drive a vehicle.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:58 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sounds like the police officer had reason to think that "you MAY have a CONDITION which could prevent your safe operation of a motor vehicle".

I can't imagine that TDPS would order such a test based solely on an individual citizen's complaint. Given the ADA I doubt the state takes this path based on scant evidence. Probably not a medical test, but rather a test of your reaction time and the physical dexterity required to drive a vehicle.
Or possibly concerns about their eye sight.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:14 PM

207 posts, read 463,743 times
Whatever complaint triggered the letter to be mailed would be subject to an open records request.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Whatever complaint triggered the letter to be mailed would be subject to an open records request.
The complaint, if any, would be available via ORR, but the name of the person filing such a complaint would not.

In any case, there is no indication that that has actually occurred anyway.

I know that single-driver/car accidents are often treated as suspicious (as per my LEO buddies) and DPS investigates them IN ADDITION TO local LE. I am not sure the exact criteria, but it could be you fell into this 'program'. The original reason (so I have been told, anyway) is that local LE often let 'Bob' off the hook when he was drunk and wrecked his car and 'didn't hurt anyone anyway'. DPS does not feel that there should be enforcement discretion at the officer level.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

well thats what i thought.

i presented myself at the dph fri afternoon a appointment was made for me to come back in 2 weeks she said i would undergo a inquiry as to why the accident happened then would take a test on their computer AND FINISH with a road test lasting 45MINS

i thought i was in germany during the 30 s
dont have a blimp on my license .. going to see a attorney tomorrow GOT A COPY OF THE POLICE REPORT nothing about a *condition * on the report, something is wrong its troubling me my wife is helping but i have trouble sleeping

Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 PM

615 posts, read 781,206 times
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through—it sounds very stressful. I would also be frustrated if I was being asked to jump through hoops without being provided an adequate explanation of the concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: