Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm going to be relocating to Austin for 6 months for a job near in the "tech area" of Austin (in 78759) and would really appreciate some suggestions on where to find temporary housing for the time I'm there. This is my first time out of CA for a job so I'm a bit worried about finding the "right" place in a safe and somewhat close area. I've tried answering the questions from the thread here http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...wer-so-we.html

1) What is your budget?
$700 (flexible) for a studio or 1 bedroom. I really prefer small but slightly updated apartments (unlikely to have any furniture other than a desk) and cheaper is obviously better!
2) How large of a house do you need? what kind of views? what size lot? how old? updated? style? HOA?
Studio (preferred) or 1 bedroom; I'd prefer a slightly updated place but I don't need anything fancy. I'll have a car so covered/assigned parking is necessary.
3) What part of town is your job? What type of job (planning for the next job)
Tech area/78759
4) What kind of commute is acceptable?
At worst, 15-20 miles one way
7) What kind of entertainment are you looking for?
Don't care too much for entertainment as I'll be living on my own and would likely go "out" right after work

I'm essentially looking for somewhere that is safe (I'm a male in my mid 20's) and cheap. Also, if anyone could suggest any good gyms near the tech area that would be great too as I'm coming off a bad bicycle accident that needs everyday rehab

Thanks and if I'm missing anything please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboshark View Post
Hey there,

I'm going to be relocating to Austin for 6 months for a job near in the "tech area" of Austin (in 78759) and would really appreciate some suggestions on where to find temporary housing for the time I'm there. This is my first time out of CA for a job so I'm a bit worried about finding the "right" place in a safe and somewhat close area. I've tried answering the questions from the thread here http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...wer-so-we.html

1) What is your budget?
$700 (flexible) for a studio or 1 bedroom. I really prefer small but slightly updated apartments (unlikely to have any furniture other than a desk) and cheaper is obviously better!
You need to raise that about $100-200/month.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
You need to raise that about $100-200/month.
Are there any areas that are slightly further away that stay under 700 in a safe area? I suppose my "slightly updated" preference is a bit ambiguous too. My definition of updated is basically a stainless steel sink in my kitchen
If I was in the 800-900 per month range, what places would you suggest?

EDIT: just to clarify, that's $700 strictly for rent (not all expenses)

Old 08-15-2014, 02:12 PM

247 posts, read 558,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboshark View Post
Are there any areas that are slightly further away that stay under 700 in a safe area? I suppose my "slightly updated" preference is a bit ambiguous too. My definition of updated is basically a stainless steel sink in my kitchen
If I was in the 800-900 per month range, what places would you suggest?

EDIT: just to clarify, that's $700 strictly for rent (not all expenses)
If you get a roommate, you can get under $700, otherwise yeah be prepared to spend more. Look on PadMapper or get an apt finder, they're free!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
78759 is a very nice area (known as the Arboretum). I work in that area (for a long time). Lots of restaurants, stores, etc. However I don't know how much apartments rent for. There are many apartments within 15-20 minutes. I suggest finding an apartment locator.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
If you get a roommate, you can get under $700, otherwise yeah be prepared to spend more. Look on PadMapper or get an apt finder, they're free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
78759 is a very nice area (known as the Arboretum). I work in that area (for a long time). Lots of restaurants, stores, etc. However I don't know how much apartments rent for. There are many apartments within 15-20 minutes. I suggest finding an apartment locator.
Thank you both! I've been scoping out places on PadMapper for a week or so, but I'm not sure what areas are safe and what listings are truly "legit"/not a scam. What areas would be considered safe? I'd be coming from a relatively safe area on the Westside of LA (bordering Culver City if anyone knows where that is). Also, I've mainly been looking for places outside my work area - even in neighboring cities like Round Rock and Jollyville. For example, these places below would work with my budget but it's hard to know whether the area is safe and if the apartment complex itself is not ridden with trash, bedbugs, etc.

2601 La Frontera Blvd
http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?so...08353&src=main

Cimarron Crossing
9500 Jollyville Road, Austin TX 78759
http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?so...83658&src=main

9815 Copper Creek Dr
http://www.padmapper.com/show.php?so...41912&src=main

All of these are on the close-to-work end of my distance scale, so moving further than these locations would be fine with me. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help thus far everyone

Last edited by jumboshark; 08-15-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
How is it that your employer is not covering this cost? I'd get an apartment locator, free to you, legit, and they will help you find one of the rarest things in Austin (besides a one-bedroom for $700 a month) and that is a 6 month lease!!!

good luck

Old 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
The closer the better...no need to spend $5-10 more a day on petrol if you can get closer...cuts down on traffic anxiety as well. That roommate idea is a good one, just don't know how easy that will be. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
How is it that your employer is not covering this cost? I'd get an apartment locator, free to you, legit, and they will help you find one of the rarest things in Austin (besides a one-bedroom for $700 a month) and that is a 6 month lease!!!

good luck
Unfortunately, I'll only have "intern" status so I won't get relocation reimbursement or any of those perks. I'll try out an apartment locator. Never used one before as everything has been via Craigslist here in CA, but thank you! Do you have any suggestions? The two I found were A+ Apartments and Austin Apartment Experts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The closer the better...no need to spend $5-10 more a day on petrol if you can get closer...cuts down on traffic anxiety as well. That roommate idea is a good one, just don't know how easy that will be. Good luck!
That's true! Though I'm hoping an extra 5-10 miles per day won't hurt my Civic that much, but less traffic is always better

Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM

75 posts, read 81,132 times
I used A+ Apartments last month and they were super helpful in narrowing down areas and finding a place within our budget (no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: