Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,166 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and am really interested in finding a book club. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing, preferably downtown or on the south side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 49,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_gal View Post
I'm new to the area and am really interested in finding a book club. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing, preferably downtown or on the south side?
I'm about to be new to Austin, so can't give you a specific answer. HOWEVER, I've never let lack of knowledge keep me from giving advice. In this case, my advice is to check out your area book stores and libraries.

Bayou Bill

Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
Default I would check at Book People on Lamar

I think they have a bulletin board in the front. They probably even have book clubs that meet in their meeting room. I know they have writer's groups there.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
I'm interested in starting a book club. I live south of austin.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Check craig's list for austin.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but exactly what is a book club? Is it like a reading club where everyone reads the same book and discusses it, or is it more like a group buying thing?

I have always been a voracious fiction/scifi/fantasy reader and find that it is much easier just to hit Halfprice books, one of the thrift stores or the library to satisfy my addiction.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
A book club is where people read the same book and discuss it.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:01 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,433 times
Here's a list of the library book clubs and what they are reading.
City of Austin - APL: Book Clubs (http://malford.ci.austin.tx.us/library/apl_bc.htm - broken link)

Old 06-28-2007, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 72,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but exactly what is a book club? Is it like a reading club where everyone reads the same book and discusses it, or is it more like a group buying thing?

I have always been a voracious fiction/scifi/fantasy reader and find that it is much easier just to hit Halfprice books, one of the thrift stores or the library to satisfy my addiction.
I looove book club. Sometimes you just want to discuss the book--how great it is or how terrible it is, surprise endings, all that.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
A book club is where people read the same book and discuss it.
Thanks! I usually can't stand to wait for everyone else to finish reading and have moved on to the third or fourth book before I can talk about it with people.

I hated reading in class in school, at least as part of the class program. I was always reading in class apart from the lesson plan. I actually got sent to the principal in first grade for stealing the third grade class books to read. I would hide in the A/C closet reading them because the teachers kept taking them away from me.

How long between starting the book and discussion, on average? How many books are in progress at any given time? I love discussing, as you might be able to tell, but usually have to wait a while before I find someone else with the same interests that has read the same things. Since I have often read a "few" books since then it can sometimes be fun remembering which one they are talking about by name. Tell me the content and I am all over it. I also have trouble remembering authors until about the 5th book by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin