Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,296 times

Advertisements

When is it the least crowded? Any days better than others? Tips? If you pay for parking is it easy or still a headache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,113,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
When is it the least crowded? Any days better than others? Tips? If you pay for parking is it easy or still a headache?
We always park in the state garages and take the shuttle in. In general, a weekday while school is still in session are better days because the crowd is lighter. Lighter crowds on colder days too.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:55 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,296 times
Thanks. Does anyone know if the paid lots make it easier?

Old 12-02-2014, 06:31 PM

390 posts, read 671,706 times
We did the paid lot at the park last year and I thought it was great. I'm definitely planning to do it again this year. It took forever to get off Mopac into the park, but the lot that we parked in last year was very close to the Zilker tree. I can't remember what night we went on last year, but it was a weeknight. We arrived pretty close to opening and the crowds were manageable. It was our first year attending, so I don't know how it would compare, but the idea of shuttling from downtown with a couple of kids doesn't sound fun to me.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:26 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,107,772 times
Is it possible to see the trail of lights without getting out of your car? If I want to take someone in failing health who can't get out of the car, does that work?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Here is how it works for ADA
ADA Access - Trail of Lights

For us, (we live very close to downtown) avoiding the crazy line up on MoPac is key, we drive straight to a state garage and park immediately (no line up, no waiting). For my kids, part of the entire adventure is the shuttle ride!!

Some years we have had no wait at all for a shuttle, for other years there has been a short wait (10-15 minutes). Only time it was a problem was the year when my then-very young daughter got knocked down by a spinner under the tree and then possibly broke her arm. That shuttle ride was memorable, we had the whole bus caroling to keep her calm.

If you are coming from SW or W Austin, then parking makes more sense.

Park or shuttle either way take a positive attitude with you! It makes a difference. Great memories from the Trail of Lights!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:30 AM

320 posts, read 487,259 times
Where is the State garage?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM

547 posts, read 1,435,177 times
It's impossible to say this year because this year they changed it up to alleviate crowds. They made the season longer and they charged a small fee on weekends and no fee on weekdays to try to entice more people to go during the week. It's hard to say what the crowds will look like on which days this year.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,107,772 times
I have never been to the trail of lights. Unfortunately, the website for the event is very lacking in that it does not describe it at all. There is no "route" give, I don't know whether people are supposed to walk or something else. All the information on the site assumes you already know what the event is about. In my mind, this is hostile to newcomers.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have never been to the trail of lights. Unfortunately, the website for the event is very lacking in that it does not describe it at all. There is no "route" give, I don't know whether people are supposed to walk or something else. All the information on the site assumes you already know what the event is about. In my mind, this is hostile to newcomers.

It is a walking trail through Zilker park, it is not on a public street. There is no route to give other than it roughly follows the little train tracks through the soccer fields. It appears that prior to the public opening each evening it is open for a fee and via pre-arrangement to cars with handicapped stickers.

There are dozens and dozens of neighborhoods in Austin with amazing light displays where you can just slowly roll your car through the neighborhood. Sometimes these places are mentioned in the paper or on the radio.

Maybe that would be a better option for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: