Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:34 PM

11 posts, read 41,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
How are you being "ripped off" by an apartment building charging market rent. Investors put their money at risk to build/develop apartments, hoping that their assumptions turn out to be correct. The margins are actually pretty small. Many apartments now sell for 5 or 6 cap rates because there are so few opportunities for yield in the investment markets and real estate, though risky, is for many the best bet.

Sorry, but you sound like a victim. Create the life you want, earn what you're worth, buy a house and you won't have to be a renter.

And why did you ask about early 1990s rents? What was the point of asking about that?

Steve

Whoa Steve, no need to be rude, man. I'm not a victim, but you are kind of sounding a bit like a bully. I'm a college student….there's no buying a house for me just yet. Hopefully sometime in the next few years though!

Also….If you must know, my friend's mother and I were discussing rent prices in DFW and Boston in the 90's, and so I was curious to know what Austin's rent looked like twenty to twenty five years ago. That was the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetaimejamie View Post
Whoa Steve, no need to be rude, man. I'm not a victim, but you are kind of sounding a bit like a bully. I'm a college student….there's no buying a house for me just yet. Hopefully sometime in the next few years though!

Also….If you must know, my friend's mother and I were discussing rent prices in DFW and Boston in the 90's, and so I was curious to know what Austin's rent looked like twenty to twenty five years ago. That was the point.
No bullying here, not being rude, just reading your words and responding. You said "...People will pay big money to be ripped off by an apartment building. They kind of got us all trapped in a lose/lose situation.".

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but it sounds to me like you think you're a victim of some kind. Who is the "us", who is the "they" what is the "trap" and what is the "lose/lose situation" of which you claim not to be a victim after saying all that?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:

Steve's post was very reasonable given your post that he was responding to.

Quote:
These rent prices are making me very depressed.

I believe it is nearly impossible to find any 1/1 for under $800. Everything seems so expensive.

It's kind of funny, if you think about it….People will pay big money to be ripped off by an apartment building. They kind of got us all trapped in a lose/lose situation.
Yes you come across as feeling very victimized and sorry for your self. Perhaps you should think more carefully about what you post. The world is not as one sided as you seem to think. No one forces you to sign a lease or agree to move into an apartment, what part of your actions are you denying when you make those decisions?

Using Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments I found around 50-60 1b/1b apartments priced at $800 or less all over Austin.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:20 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
I paid $800 / month in '99 for a 2br/2ba in the Braker/IH35 area.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Steve's post was very reasonable given your post that he was responding to.

Yes you come across as feeling very victimized and sorry for your self. Perhaps you should think more carefully about what you post. The world is not as one sided as you seem to think. No one forces you to sign a lease or agree to move into an apartment, what part of your actions are you denying when you make those decisions?

Using Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments I found around 50-60 1b/1b apartments priced at $800 or less all over Austin.

I don't feel sorry for myself at all! I'm quite a happy person, to be honest. I find it amusing that there are strangers in the world, or in this very city, suggesting to me what I am personally like according to one comment on the internet. A comment that I honestly didn't think twice about. I write what comes to mind and I then hit "submit"…I don't feel the need to meticulously edit everything to cater to everyone's liking. If you don't LIKE what I post, then I suppose you are smart enough to figure out how to click out of it or ignore it. However, what I said was not politically incorrect or intentionally offense to anyone. There are many things in the world to get serious offended by or pick on….this is not one of them.

I will give everyone here the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps you don't understand that I am being facetious regarding how I feel about the rent. I don't actually feel depressed about these answers. Haha. I was merely stating that those rent prices sounded a lot better than the one I am currently paying. You're absolutely right. No one did force me to sign a lease. However, I would rather not have to sleep under a bridge every night, so I live in an apartment. I guess what I really meant is that sometimes I wish I could be paying so much money towards owning something instead of renting. Like I stated beforehand, that is not really a possibility at the moment. Perhaps one day, soon after I have graduated, I will become a home owner and not look back.

That being said, I am glad to have somewhere to even LIVE. But…if someone were to offer you a piece of chocolate for $0.75 or offer the same piece of chocolate to you for $6.50, the seventy-five cent candy would sound a lot more appealing, wouldn't it? My mother tells me things about apartment living from "her day" and how it's different from today's renting….and so I just kind of like to hear different answers and see how much things have changed. My mom also flips houses and has real estate experience, so it's interesting to hear what she has to say about it all.

Honestly though, it doesn't make a difference. To you, me, or the fat lady. No need to stress. I didn't mean to come off as whiny person.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
I was merely stating that those rent prices sounded a lot better than the one I am currently paying.

Of course they did. They were 15 to 25 years years ago.

Rents in the 30s were even cheaper. Want to discuss that too?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for myself at all! I'm quite a happy person, to be honest. I find it amusing that there are strangers in the world, or in this very city, suggesting to me what I am personally like according to one comment on the internet. A comment that I honestly didn't think twice about. I write what comes to mind and I then hit "submit"…I don't feel the need to meticulously edit everything to cater to everyone's liking. If you don't LIKE what I post, then I suppose you are smart enough to figure out how to click out of it or ignore it. However, what I said was not politically incorrect or intentionally offense to anyone. There are many things in the world to get serious offended by or pick on….this is not one of them.

I will give everyone here the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps you don't understand that I am being facetious regarding how I feel about the rent. I don't actually feel depressed about these answers. Haha. I was merely stating that those rent prices sounded a lot better than the one I am currently paying. You're absolutely right. No one did force me to sign a lease. However, I would rather not have to sleep under a bridge every night, so I live in an apartment. I guess what I really meant is that sometimes I wish I could be paying so much money towards owning something instead of renting. Like I stated beforehand, that is not really a possibility at the moment. Perhaps one day, soon after I have graduated, I will become a home owner and not look back.

That being said, I am glad to have somewhere to even LIVE. But…if someone were to offer you a piece of chocolate for $0.75 or offer the same piece of chocolate to you for $6.50, the seventy-five cent candy would sound a lot more appealing, wouldn't it? My mother tells me things about apartment living from "her day" and how it's different from today's renting….and so I just kind of like to hear different answers and see how much things have changed. My mom also flips houses and has real estate experience, so it's interesting to hear what she has to say about it all.

Honestly though, it doesn't make a difference. To you, me, or the fat lady. No need to stress. I didn't mean to come off as whiny person.
No harm, no foul. I will say this though. How we communicate, in words and in person, affects earning power more than anything. Often more so than experience itself. I just hired an assistant with ZERO experience in my industry or the job. I did so because she communicates impeccably both in writing and in person. Upon that foundation, the rest can be taught and learned easily because I know that I'm dealing with someone who understands and is understood.

So, learning to come across clearly in all communication, even casual online forums, will benefit you in ways that may not be clear until it becomes a habit and the rewards start appearing. Just some friendly 2 cents.

Thanks for clarifying.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Of course they did. They were 15 to 25 years years ago.

Rents in the 30s were even cheaper. Want to discuss that too?

If I need to discuss rent in the 30's, I'll contact my grandmother. Thank you very much.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Quote:
If I need to discuss rent in the 30's, I'll contact my grandmother. Thank you very much.
How old's your grandmother???

Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
How old's your grandmother???
My math says she'd would be, like, 105 yo assuming she was at least in her 20s when renting in the 1930s.

But, a quick Google search finds this about NYC:
Quote:
"1930s
The average rent on the Lower East Side in 1930 was $6 a month per room. Thus, a three-room apartment in 97 Orchard Street might have rented for about $18 per month, little more than it did in the 1870s* There were, however more than 10,000 people at the time living in rear tenements who paid as little as $2 a month per room."
Source: Lower East Side Tenement Museum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin