Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times

Advertisements

Visit this July and meet with a Realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
To reiterate what has already been said, I have never noticed what kind of car someone drives unless they are parked on the lawn. That's just tacky.

For all the probably warranted hullabaloo about economic segregation, there is also a longstanding tradition of trying to treat people well even if they're wearing flip flops and a grubby tshirt. Part of it is Austin hospitality, and part of is the fact that they could actually be someone "important" no matter how they are dressed.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM

550 posts, read 498,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Unrelated: just to help you out in the future, that is not a phrase. It's "for all intents and purposes".

Related:

Nobody in Austin could possibly care less what color you are, how much money you make, etc. You get that in the more conservative suburbs, but in Austin proper it's a non-issue..
But trip up a figure of speech, and we'll have a problem. Apparently.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:23 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyko View Post
A-Tex - I'm just being honest. When I look at the neighborhoods, I think they should all look similar in size somewhat. I don't think a neighborhood should mix mansions, with homes, with townhouses, with apartments...etc. all on the same block. I was making that point in describing the area I'd like to live in. It wasn't related to economics as you implied. I currently live in an $800k home and have rental apartments across the street from me. I think the people are great and I'm good friends with them. I just don't like how the block looks aesthetically.
Then you aren't going to like Austin at all, unless you go far out into master planned suburbia land.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
i think it is easier to identify the areas that you should stay away from.

Steiner ranch has a more materialistic culture, I would stay away from steiner.

Eanes has more money, but is possibly less pretentious about it. Westlake high has something like 15 black kids (out of several thousand students) and is not diverse at all despite the protests of people on this forum. Decent houses are running around 1 million. I know many people who have had kids go through eanes and there are plenty of nice well grounded kids. Yet the money is there. The stereotype of all BMWs and range rovers in the parking lot fits eanes.

Other than those two areas I dont think there is much that is overly materialistic.

------------
Based on your price range I would not live west of 620 north of 183, east of I35 or south of 71.

The west side is more suburban but is also hill country which can be beautiful. The central and east side is more urban with the east side gentrifying. South of the river (ladybird lake) is more funky austin. West is going to be better at meeting your desire for the outdoors, but doesnt have good walking access to amenities.

The center of tech startups is pretty much downtown (for example search on capital factory). The tech giants are mostly north along 183 and along mopac (paypal, google, apple, ibm etc etc)

We chose an area that feeds into westwood called dominion at great hills. It is solidly in austin, but westwood is a round rock school. The majority of great hills feeds into AISD (anderson). What is nice is that instead of wealthy white people (lobbyists and lawyers.. ) it is two income tech people. People mostly drive honda minivans than range rovers. Our elementary is about 60% asian. Middle school is 40% asian and high school is 25% asian. Kids study hard and are more focused on education. The downside is with all the asians it is a pressure cooker for academics. Property values are in the 500-700k range running about 150-175/sq ft.

Mueller is a mixed use community built on the old mueller airport. It is attracting many people that can afford that kind of lifestyle, mostly educated whites. It is surrounded by gentrifying east austin which is mixed race. The schools are terrible so you would go private. One caveat is that it is close to LBJ which hosts the liberal arts and science academy which is a magnet (like illinois math and science academy) that is the best school in town.

Northwest hills (78731) will be in your price range, with houses further south costing much more. The area is turning over as the older people die/move. It is close in to downtown and magellan is a private school where it seems like all the entrepreneurs I know are sending their kids. It is full immersion spanish and then chinese starts in 3rd frade. The money in northwest hills isnt over the top like westlake/eanes, but I suspect it could go that way.

One last thing is basketball is big in illinois, but football is *the* sport in texas.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
But trip up a figure of speech, and we'll have a problem. Apparently.
Not a problem at all, just wanted to let you know. I hope that the rest of my post wasn't ignored just for that part.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
One last thing is basketball is big in illinois, but football is *the* sport in texas.
And UT probably won't even make the Division I NCAA basketball tournament this year unless they win tomorrow night at #8 Kansas. Most people around here probably have no idea that they've been that bad lately and not too many people care either. But, if the football team loses 6 games then people lose their minds.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
We've had a major uptick in "We're thinking of relocating to Austin" threads recently from folks who currently reside in places that have full-fledged winters... some state they're over the cold/snow which I get (I've done it). But few address the heat in their posts or skim over it.

Unless you've lived in a really HOT weather place (where "HOT" is months on end) and you've experienced it, you probably want to be sure you can handle it. Austin is decidedly NOT a month of 90s temps during what folks from other places define as "summer". And I like hot weather but Texas "HOT" is a different animal.

I'll echo what others have said: Come in August for a week.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:47 AM

375 posts, read 319,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
We've had a major uptick in "We're thinking of relocating to Austin" threads recently from folks who currently reside in places that have full-fledged winters... some state they're over the cold/snow which I get (I've done it). But few address the heat in their posts or skim over it.

Unless you've lived in a really HOT weather place (where "HOT" is months on end) and you've experienced it, you probably want to be sure you can handle it. Austin is decidedly NOT a month of 90s temps during what folks from other places define as "summer". And I like hot weather but Texas "HOT" is a different animal.

I'll echo what others have said: Come in August for a week.
Can't be emphasized enough! Huge difference compared to the relatively mild pleasant summers of the north. Long, HOT, suffocating summers here. Stuck inside most of the day. Gotta get things done early or later in the evening. I remember when I worked nights a few years ago and the temp would be in the upper 70's driving home at 7am. You're trading one exteme weather season for another!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM

112 posts, read 165,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I didn't see anybody addressing the sports question, so I'll answer it here.

Round Rock is the premier area for sports.
I live in the LCP where we hate RR teams and like to imagine they play dirty get all the breaks, etc... But in reality we respect them more than not and I must begrudgingly admit that claim has a lot of merit - they are a premier area for sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin