Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM

20 posts, read 24,360 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I'm sure this has come up a few times, as I've been scavenging from these forums for quite a while, however my situation is unique and would like a little input.

I live in Chicago, and have been wanting to get the hell out of Illinois since 2012. Something happens every time to thwart our quest to move (death in family-promotion-paying off debt and student loans more rapidly) however I am at the point that the wife and I (we have a 2 year old) have signed a shorten lease so we can have the possibility to move before Winter hits in November of 2015.

I do not plan on having a job before we move. I would like to have one, but this has and will continue to be something that inevitable delays this process even more, (as it always seems to be something that is in the way of us being able to move....and this is 3 years now going on 4. I would hate to have been saying i've wanted to move now for 4-5 years.)

By the time November comes when we planned to attempt to come down we can have $21-25,000 saved up, which is what we were putting away for down payment on home, but I do not want to buy a home in Illinois.

I'm a pretty logical guy, but sometimes highly emotional advice does cause me to question what is the best option when and if I decide to move my entire family there and not have a Job in hand. (And there are people who scream as if this is the silliest thing that can be done even though i've seen it work out, I still would like valid opinion.)

I am a Senior Systems Engineer in Computers and find work pretty easy here and am constantly reached out to for more work as I am a Senior Level Windows guy with programming,networking,security and managing experience.

My Wife is a Jr. DBA now in SQL so basically we are in a pretty good field for finding work.

We both will attempt to apply and interview for positions before we come down starting in August, however if we can't land a position because of the fact that we are not in the state, or the logistics don't allow, is it crazy for us to just come down and make the best of it? We really want to get out of this state badly. I don't believe it would take us more than 1 month to find a position (If we just take something in our field that's open) It may take 2-3 months to find the ideal position that we can settle into long term.. possibly even longer 4-5 months. I believe we can have at least 12 months of rent in reasonable apartment (1100-1200.00 per month) to live off of and enough to cover most bills for about 8-9 months according to our current budget... we can get frugal to make it extend.

We want to take the plunge! Is it safe?!

Last edited by Chitownjedi; 03-11-2015 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,198,263 times
Given your savings and job qualifications, I don't think it would be crazy at all. You will probably do well here.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:09 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,148,781 times
Why Austin? why Texas? Have you visited? Have you considered Dallas or Houston?

Your savings sound adequate to me. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM

20 posts, read 24,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Why Austin? why Texas? Have you visited? Have you considered Dallas or Houston?

Your savings sound adequate to me. Good luck!
I was thinking Houston at first back in 2012, and the SugarLand area... I have about 4 cities that we had in the number 1 position now but the Houston area has remained in the top position literally for 80% of the time.

Factors that have Austin a head now is the :
Humidity difference (We hate Chicago weather, the winters are literally depressing as hell. However knowing the main complaint about the weather in texas is oppressive heat and humidity in the Houston area, any reprieve from discomfort does play a factor.. it's not a huge one factor however. I mean hot is hot... but there is some wiggle room on the comfort index)

Tech Scene:
I follow Information Technology very closely and Austin is considered a technology hub that is becoming very influential and attractive to startups and legitimate companies that are choosing to leave cali and seattle as they find that Austin provides a leg up for what they want to do. Houston is highly touted as a job making monster and the sectors in which it's most lucrative is energy and in the medical sectors from what I recall. Since we both plan on being heavily invested in the tech scene, things like start-ups even (Google Fiber) have slight advantages that we consider.

Smaller:
I'm from a very big city, however I have more of a small time personality, and so does my lady. We do not like big bold flashy and attention. I am not saying that Houston is like that at all, however I do believe that Austin's pace may be more conducive to our lifestyle. I often think Houston will remind me of a Texas styled Chicago, however I do plan on visiting to confirm that assumption.

Dallas has only been entertained for a little bit. The only thing Dallas has an advantage in is with Sports Team. San Antonio is an option, however the IT scene is what has the most weight for me at this point.

OH and why Texas? You guys must not know how much the rest of the country is praising your economy, cost of living, jobs, housing, weather. It is everything I want, and everyone I know who have visited or lives there loves the place.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,836,911 times
With your situation, your biggest problem won't be finding a job - it'll be finding a job near your house, since your commute can be a life-changer if you get a great job but it's on the wrong side of town. You will quickly be introduced to the downside of everybody coming here to praise the economy!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,934,704 times
Pretty soon there won't be anyone living North of the Mason Dixon line because of old man winter and travel magazines. God help us...........

The weather in Austin is OK, but it isn't anything to write home about.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,148,781 times
Yes, finding a daycare that has a slot, near your home, and getting your home somewhat close to your work will be where the true challenge lies.

If your frame of reference is Chicago, then there is no difference between Houston and Austin summer weather! The biggest shock will be our high temps late at night. It can be in the mid-90s until 10 pm! And upper 80s past mid-night.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,386,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
With your situation, your biggest problem won't be finding a job - it'll be finding a job near your house, since your commute can be a life-changer if you get a great job but it's on the wrong side of town. You will quickly be introduced to the downside of everybody coming here to praise the economy!

Yup. Just ask the folks who have no choice but to spend four hours on the asphalt each day.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:13 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,836,911 times
Quote:
If your frame of reference is Chicago, then there is no difference between Houston and Austin summer weather!
My frame of reference was New England and I have to disagree a little bit with this statement. It's just that some people make a bigger deal out of it, as if 30% humidity at 100 degrees was somehow comfortable. It ain't, but it beats 90% humidity.

We still get those 90% days though - just like Houston. Fewer of them is all. I wouldn't pick one city over the other just for that alone. Houston is significantly larger and more cosmopolitan...but it's Houston.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:35 PM

390 posts, read 673,194 times
I'm going to disagree with the no difference between Houston and Austin weather as well. As someone who lived most of their life in Chicagoland and the last five years in Austin, I can tell you that there is a huge difference in humidity. I suppose it depends on how you handle humidity, but I would take 100 in Austin over 80 in Chicago any day.

OP- I agree about your assessment of Houston being similar to Chicago. I was struck by that the first time I visited Houston. It really reminded me and made me appreciative of the laid back feel of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin