Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
The weather in Austin is OK, but it isn't anything to write home about.
Compared to what most in the North have put up with this winter, Austin winters are incredible!!

We can expect to see a lot more unhappy northerners moving here the next couple of years after this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:32 PM

20 posts, read 24,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Compared to what most in the North have put up with this winter, Austin winters are incredible!!

We can expect to see a lot more unhappy northerners moving here the next couple of years after this winter.
We've taken to a habit of having the cities we want to move to in our weather feeds as a comparison. When it's 0-10 degrees here with negative 15 wind chills it's often 40's+ occasionally 50's in texas cities... When a couple of 20 degrees days Jan - March is considered a heat wave with 50+ inches of snow in a good year... yeah... Point of View is everything.

It's 40's and 50's now in Chicago for last week and the entire cities spirits are lifted and Hope has returned. But with the return has come like 30 shootings in last 2 weeks as well.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:44 PM

75 posts, read 81,250 times
We moved here with our 2-year-old. I had a job but my husband didn't. He tried getting interviews before moving but didn't get anywhere. He ended up being able to freelance for a few weeks for a former colleague and landed something full-time within 2 months. It is totally doable and we are thrilled to have missed the winter NYC is having this year. Come on down! We live in a 2-1 apartment in Mueller, which is a little over your budget (~1600/month) but could be worth it - walking distance to children's museum/playground and 30 mins or less from downtown.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:09 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,225,800 times
I am confused... did I miss something where you've said you've already visited? I can't imagine -- having a family -- and deciding on a new state and city to live in but you've never set foot in said city?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 PM

147 posts, read 212,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I am confused... did I miss something where you've said you've already visited? I can't imagine -- having a family -- and deciding on a new state and city to live in but you've never set foot in said city?
OP has already stated that decisions come down to tech hubs, that basically leaves the Bay Area, Seattle and Austin. With a wife that's a JR DBA, Austin is almost a no-brainer. Add in the COL differences, and Austin rises to the top - why else do you think there is so much growth there?

Also, it's a couple with a 2-year-old. Not like they're disrupting a school pattern.

Did you miss the ChiRaq part? I guarantee the day there's 30 separate shootings in a fortnight in Austin the exodus begins.

Chitownjedi - good luck. I've got a friend in Austin that is in management and he's getting offers all day, every day. Entry level stuff is a bit harder, so the wife might have a tougher go of it, but it's not impossible.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,225,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
OP has already stated that decisions come down to tech hubs, that basically leaves the Bay Area, Seattle and Austin. With a wife that's a JR DBA, Austin is almost a no-brainer. Add in the COL differences, and Austin rises to the top - why else do you think there is so much growth there?

Also, it's a couple with a 2-year-old. Not like they're disrupting a school pattern.

Did you miss the ChiRaq part? I guarantee the day there's 30 separate shootings in a fortnight in Austin the exodus begins.

Chitownjedi - good luck. I've got a friend in Austin that is in management and he's getting offers all day, every day. Entry level stuff is a bit harder, so the wife might have a tougher go of it, but it's not impossible.
Come again? I'm not following you, nor your rabbit holes. I asked the OP if he's ever set foot in Austin. Just because someone has a list of items that seem like a good match has categorically nothing to do with whether he'll like any city/place/region. Logic would have you at least visit a place once before you decide to relocate yourself and entire family.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:24 PM

97 posts, read 124,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, finding a daycare that has a slot, near your home, and getting your home somewhat close to your work will be where the true challenge lies.

If your frame of reference is Chicago, then there is no difference between Houston and Austin summer weather! The biggest shock will be our high temps late at night. It can be in the mid-90s until 10 pm! And upper 80s past mid-night.
I saw Spoon a few years back at Stubbs in August. It was 99 when they went on. At 11pm.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:25 PM

97 posts, read 124,021 times
Quote:
But but... On The Office finale Jim and Pam moved to Austin.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Come again? I'm not following you, nor your rabbit holes. I asked the OP if he's ever set foot in Austin. Just because someone has a list of items that seem like a good match has categorically nothing to do with whether he'll like any city/place/region. Logic would have you at least visit a place once before you decide to relocate yourself and entire family.

I plan to visit, but I have plenty of evidence to suggest that Chicago is no longer a place I want to be regardless if I've breathed the Texas air or not.. This gives any city a distinct advantage over the one I am currently in. Seeing firsthand the politics, crime, education systems go to crap, and the mass exodus of 60% of everyone I know who no longer felt it was a reason to stay there either (none of which regret leaving) let's just say Austin could be just as bad and I would still move without setting foot there because at least it's not here... and I've never felt so strong about the goal of leaving then I have any other thing in my life so far.

I've done pretty intensive investigation so far on the area and (Texas versus the projected "vision" of Illinois *BLEAK as Hell!*** Pension/Crime/Taxes,Politics/Corruption/Failing School System/lowest credit rating in Nation at State and 2nd worse behind Detroit on major metropolis scale/Brutal Weather/ and Death. Always with the Death. I guess it's everywhere, but here it hits close to home. Literally) the PRO's outweigh the Cons tenfold.

I do plan on visiting, however I am not afraid to make a decision when it comes to moving to Austin blindfolded as I have never been afraid to do anything in my life, and didn't choose to be born and raised in Chicago. Now that I have a chance to get away from a place that I oppose on many major levels, then I'll take the risk, and if it didn't workout I would gladly accept it as a risk that didn't plan out; but you have to play to win.

It definitely won't be the smartest to decision to move without visiting first, but in the case of staying in Chicago, staying would be a worse decision based on my anecdotal evidence, and a majority opinion based on reputable sources and facts that present the case for Texas in general being a place more likely to agree with my current goals.. It's not for me and being from the South Side, but the continuity of moving my family to a safer suburb to escape some of the blights that litter the city. I do not trust the leadership to make the proper moves in order to correct systemic issues across various important factors that I consider dear to my families progress and the progress of the city in general. I can barely go back to visit my family with out gun fire being guranteed to be heard at some point, and I've lost many many friends and family here do to violence, which doesn't seem to cause much issue here as long as its relegated to particular neighborhoods in the city, however I tire of madness, and do not wish it to break my spirit.

So... nope. I haven't visited. Sometimes people do things we can't imagine. That's what makes life interesting .
And a lot of people have migrated here from all over the world while not visiting beforehand, making a choice to come here with their family. I believe if they can have the courage so can I when I have the inherent advantage of knowing the culture and already possessing a skillset that should be able to allow me to mitigate the risk as long as I work my tail off and do everything I can to insure it works out.

Your concern is greatly appreciated however, and it does give me extra motivation to prepare and come down to visit at least to eliminate an obvious negative about the plan.

Last edited by Chitownjedi; 03-11-2015 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I plan to visit, but I have plenty of evidence to suggest that Chicago is no longer a place I want to be regardless if I've breathed the air or not.. That gives any city a distinct advantage over the one I am currently in. Seeing firsthand the politics, crime, education systems go to crap, and the mass exodus of 60% of everyone I know who no longer felt it was a reason to stay there either (none of which regret leaving) let's just say Austin could be just as bad and I would still move without setting foot here because at least it's not here...

I've done pretty intensive investigation so far on the area and (Texas versus the project vision of Illinois *BLEAK as Hell!*) the PRO's outweigh the Cons tenfold.

I do plan on visiting, however I am not afraid to make a decision when it comes to moving to Austin blindfolded as I have never been afraid to do anything in my life, and didn't choose to be born and raised and Chicago. Now that I have a chance to get away from a place that I oppose on many major levels, then I'll take the risk and if something didn't work I would gladly accept it as a risk that didn't plan out; but you have to play to win.

It definitely won't be the smartest to decision to move without visiting first, but in the case of staying in Chicago, staying would be a worse decision. It's not for me and being from the South Side, but moving my family to a safer suburb to escape some of the blights that litter the city, I do not trust the leadership to make the proper moves in order to correct systemic issues across various important factors that I consider dear to my families progress.

So... nope. I haven't visited. Sometimes people do things we can't imagine. That's what makes life interesting .
And a lot of people migrated here from all over the world not visiting before making a choice to come here with their family. A believe if they can have the courage so can I when I have the inherent advantage of knowing the culture and already possessing a skillset that should be able to allow me to mitigate the risk.

Your concern is greatly appreciated however, and it does give me extra motivation to prepare and come down to at least eliminate a obvious negative about the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin