Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times

Advertisements

In the few neighborhoods that I've been looking at, the houses are built in the 70s. We have a toddler and are concerned about the lead paint. We weren't so concerned until a neighbor of ours had a problem and had to move out of her rented house and it's costing like $30K for the owner to get someone in and take care of it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about testing for or fixing lead paint problems? I'd hate to rule out these homes but my husband is saying we shouldn't consider anything before 1980 to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Testing the paint is not that expensive, and is better than just limiting such a large portion of the market.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
atlanta hope,

I'm curious about the actual problem which triggered your neighbor moving out and the owner repairing the property... Did your neighbor (the tenant) run a lead paint test or something? I believe here in Texas, you are required as a landlord to provide a lead-paint brochure to a tenant renting a pre<1978? property, but that's pretty much it.

I wonder how this is handled in areas where the majority of housing stock is older than 1980s... I mean, Austin housing is considerably newer than many other cities, but the desirable central areas are still mostly pre-80's construction. Seems like any older house could have lead paint, buried under years of coats of non-lead based paint. Are older houses just considered "out" for people with small children?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
atlanta hope,

I'm curious about the actual problem which triggered your neighbor moving out and the owner repairing the property... Did your neighbor (the tenant) run a lead paint test or something? I believe here in Texas, you are required as a landlord to provide a lead-paint brochure to a tenant renting a pre<1978? property, but that's pretty much it.

I wonder how this is handled in areas where the majority of housing stock is older than 1980s... I mean, Austin housing is considerably newer than many other cities, but the desirable central areas are still mostly pre-80's construction. Seems like any older house could have lead paint, buried under years of coats of non-lead based paint. Are older houses just considered "out" for people with small children?
I think all landlords in every state are required to provide the brochure.

My friend had the health dept come in and test for lead. There wasn't really much peeling paint but somehow dust was able to disperse through the air and coat her child's toys -- which were then put in the mouth. My house was built in 1910 or so but it was completely gutted years ago -- so I'm not worried about my 16 month old here. I am worried about older houses now. I don't imagine there's much need to gut most of the 70s ranches. It's a project I'd rather not undertake again either.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
In the few neighborhoods that I've been looking at, the houses are built in the 70s. We have a toddler and are concerned about the lead paint. We weren't so concerned until a neighbor of ours had a problem and had to move out of her rented house and it's costing like $30K for the owner to get someone in and take care of it.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about testing for or fixing lead paint problems? I'd hate to rule out these homes but my husband is saying we shouldn't consider anything before 1980 to be safe.
Lead paint stopped being produced in the mid-1970's. I've never heard of a $30K abatement. All that is necessary is that any lead paint be sealed. If work is done in a home with lead paint, the area needs to be sealed such that dust can't float throughout the house. We assume that underneath all the coats of paint in an older home, some lead paint may exists. But if it isn't disturbed or sanded such that dust is created, it shouldn't be a problem.

Lead Paint is one of those things that if you read too much info about it, you'll be frightened out of buying an older home. The truth is, problems are rare. But you know how society, media and government are about "protecting" us. Statistically, you place yourself in great physical danger driving a car than living in a 1970's home.

From the link below is this info:
Quote:
For 1979–1988, death certificates were reviewed; lead source information was abstracted and accuracy of coding was determined. An estimated 200 lead poisoning-related deaths occurred from 1979 to 1998.
200 deaths in in 20 years (many from adult males drinking moonshine, of all things according to the research linked below) is not something that would cause me alarm when compared to all the other risks in life and causes of death. I would take prudent steps if living in an older home, but I wouldn't live in fear or avoid older homes.
ScienceDirect - Environmental Research : Deaths related to lead poisoning in the United States, 1979&#x2013;1998*1

Steve

Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Good info Steve.

Apparently this house, my friend was in, had extensive remodeling done and the ducts (in the floor) weren't sealed off. Whatever got sanded or demoed ended up in the hvac ducts and blew all over the house. I'm not sure what kind of repairs the owner has to do to rectify the problem that would cost $30K, but I'm glad to hear that's not the norm.

It's still scary when you have a little one and you're trying to do everything to protect them. It might not be such an issue if she wasn't so young and putting everything in her mouth right now!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,304 times
Your fairly safe with houses from the 70's (less than half of the houses from the 70's contain lead paint and lead paint went out in 1978). The real risk comes not so much from paint chips but from dust. This comes into play especially if the house has been remodeled or if you are thinking of remodeling. Wallboard is not so bad, most of the paint is sealed and some will escape when tearing down walls but the big offender is wood. Dry sanding any lead painted surface is a disaster and spreads lead particles everywhere. This can be a factor as lead dust can stay in the soil around houses with wood siding that been sanded and painted back in the dark ages. If you do buy a pre 1978 house (esp a remodel), spring for the lead paint inspection, the peace of mind will be worth it.

Personally, unless it was a very special house I would stick with post 78 properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin