Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:54 AM

67 posts, read 86,597 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have advice on buying big, mature privacy trees? We live in 78737, and the few places I've researched have been quite expensive. Ie., $2500 for a 10FT live oak. Is this normal? Anyone have advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:37 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
I don't think a 10' live oak fits in the description of a "big, mature privacy" tree. That is closer to builder standard, plop two in every front yard.

10', you're talking about a 45 gal, 3" caliper container grown tree, which should be much less than $2500, even delivered and installed.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post
Does anyone have advice on buying big, mature privacy trees? We live in 78737, and the few places I've researched have been quite expensive. Ie., $2500 for a 10FT live oak. Is this normal? Anyone have advice?

Thanks!
Costco has some great privacy screen trees in warehouse right now. While not wide, they are tall and at those prices you can get a handful and create an attractive privacy screen without breaking the bank.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:25 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I would suggest going to a nursery where the employees know what trees will grow well in our environment. Soil type as well as weather is critical for trees. (I think you should check with a knowledgeable person about the species of trees at Costco before buying. Big box stores typically have no idea of what grows well in their locations.) I suggest the Natural Gardener, Barton Creek Nursery, The Great Outdoors, Vivera, and have heard the Red Barn is also a good source. Also, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has their semi-annual plant sale on April 11-12, and could help with this. Get there early, however, as trees tend to sell out quickly. There are horticulturists there who could help you with plant selection. Also, the Austin Grow Green guide is very useful. It can be picked up for free at any nursery or go online to Grow Green | Watershed Protection | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin. $2,500 for a 10 foot tree also seems very high to me. Live Oaks are not fast growing, and it will take many years to be useful as a screen or privacy tree.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
Try Ted's Trees

Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
That much for a 10ft tree is insane. If you're looking for a screen/privacy you might want to check out Wax Myrtle. From what I've read it is native and it grows fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG
Views:	6195
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	147718

Personally I would not get the shrubs that are currently selling at Costco but that is my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't like Costco, I do. I've planted many trees here and the one that grew the fastest was the Fan-Tex Ash, Ceniza De Fan-Tex, Fraxinus velutina 'Fan-Tex'.

The other trees that have done well here in Hutto: Bradford Pear, Red Oak, Live Oak, Red Bud, Chinese elm, Sycamore, even a red maple, (although I don't think the red maple likes it here). I bought them all for a bit over 20 bucks and they are maturing very nicely. Of course I have lot's of Crepe Myrtles too. They grow fast and flower almost all summer long.

The FASTEST tree I've seen grow here is the Mulberry tree that was planted by some bird. That sucker grew right before your eyes and now towers above the house after one year.

In the picture: Wax Myrtles, Crepe Myrtle Trees, Rosemary around the Hippo and Lantana trying to sneak out. Planted on both sides of the lot. Haven't figured out how to go across the driveway yet but I was thinking about a massive gate with vines and an arch that goes over it...maybe covered with climbing roses.

I also like the Red Tip Photinia, red robin, Photinia x fraseri. Beautiful screen, lovely red colors at times, flowers that resemble Queen Anne's Lace.

No, I didn't add the latin names to ALL the plants/trees. I'm lazy today.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 04-06-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I know everyone has their personal favorites, but a few opinions on my part: Bradford pears have a nice, though short show of blossoms, but they are a short lived tree (I think about 20 years) and they fall apart, literally, toward the end of that. I consider older Bradford pears to be dangerous. Circle C planted a whole lot of them years ago, but now they are on the "do not plant" list. If you are planting for a screen, not for overhead shade, I would think the wax myrtle would be a good one. Small trees that would become big trees are not good screens. And I never buy anything with "Japanese" or "Chinese" as part of the name, as they are not natives, and may grow OK here, but don't contribute to the Texas biotic environment. I had a Chinese Pistache in my back yard, and was nicely asked by the city to please take it out, as it was an invasive species, affecting my adjacent greenbelt. (I took it down because I agreed with them; they did not force me.) I agree that a Red maple will not grow well around here. The Texas Mulberry is a native and will grow well in limestone soil, as noted. Everyone loves the crepe myrtle, and no one can deny the beauty of their blossoms, but be sure you want it where you plant it forever, because it is almost impossible to kill one. And they are very invasive, sending up sprouts through you lawn and garden beds.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't think a 10' live oak fits in the description of a "big, mature privacy" tree. That is closer to builder standard, plop two in every front yard.

10', you're talking about a 45 gal, 3" caliper container grown tree, which should be much less than $2500, even delivered and installed.
maybe they meant 10"

Old 04-06-2015, 08:42 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
This site was pretty easy to read, (my opinion). It's about invasive species.

Trees: Invasive Plant Atlas of the United States

Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM

322 posts, read 749,025 times
Hope valley tree farm is great. They will even deliver and install, which is a good deal if you're buying huge trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin