Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,958,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomanaustin View Post
Thank you both for the quick replies. I'm just trying to get a feel for Austin before I visit, I live in San Leandro and have only left California to visit Oregon and Washington, so if I sound a little naive about Texas it's because I've never been until my visit to San Antonio. From what I saw of San Antonio was just not appealing. I'm hoping the hill country looks different from the mole hills to the west around Boerne, we have speed bumps taller than those. And the only trees were short bushes, someone said they were cedar trees, but didn't look like the cedars that I've seen. The pics I've seen of the Colorado River around Austin were surrounded by cliffs and ridges. And another lake had tall trees and pines around it and looked kinda swampy. It looked very pretty. I go rock climbing and hiking in the mountains here in California, and really want to try horseback riding out there, so any recs would be appreciated.

The temperature in San Antonio was 85 in EARLY APRIL! and muggy as H***. I saw on my weather app that Austin was 75, 10 degress cooler usually? And I figure since it is up in the hills, the humidity would be a little lower. I know that if I drive an hour or so inland from the bay, it gets much hotter in Stockton. I do realize that it can get up in the 90's in Austin for a few months in the summer, so I guess I'll be in the A/C until I can adjust to the heat.

I understand the housing prices are climbing quickly in Austin, so I sense the urgency to buy now while its cheap, thats the word around here anyway. So if I must up my budget a little, then its OK.

I was wondering what's wrong with the rest of Texas? Why is Austin the only place that's different? I've heard that Houston has jobs but its ugly, and Dallas is too much like L.A., too spread out and flat, and that it takes hours to get from one side of the metro to the other. San Antonio reminds me of Fresno, no thanks....

Like I said, my impression of Texas comes from what I've heard from people after visiting Austin. In fact, some of my friends just came back from South-by-Southwest and they had a blast. And all you hear now is Austin, Austin, Austin in the bay area. I'm looking to visit next month. Thanks again for the info.
There is nothing "wrong" with Texas. In fact, we're doing a whole lot of things right. That's why we're suffering from a deluge of people fleeing that failure you call California.

You are grossly misinformed about Austin's weather. It gets much hotter than "up in the 90s" and much colder in the winter than you'll expect. There is no appreciable difference between the climates of Austin and San Antonio.

And after one month of that commute, you will want to gouge your eyes out. Especially when you see how small of an Austin housing budget a San Antonio based salary gives you (not even counting the petrol cost.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I apologize if I sound short, but it has become a constant for people to think Austin is utopia, move here, then constantly complain about the heat, the lack of rain, the deer eating their plants, the bugs, the lack of "real" Italian/Chinese/bagels/whatever kind of food, the....
You forgot allergies ...

The OP would be one of the ones complaining the loudest once the reality of driving from Austin to SA and back every day hit. And I say this as I type sitting in my office in SA -- if I had to do this daily, I would hate life in about thirty days. Too much of my productive life would be eaten up every single work day of the year. No freakin' way I am doing that, not to mention an extra 50K miles a year on my car.

OP -- figure out a way to like SA, find a job in Austin, or learn to like San Leandro. Those are your options.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 AM

436 posts, read 571,853 times
I worked closely with a guy who had just moved to Austin after living in India his entire life. When June rolled around he would mention that it reminded him of home, minus not being in wall to wall people. Austin is in Texas, right smack in the middle of it in fact. It never ceases to amaze me that people cant process that fact. Austin may not be as humid as Houston but the summers can still be brutal and are a rude wake up for transplants during their first year. Also it will be in your best interest to be flexible in what you can tolerate politically if you wish to be happy in Austin. Austin may be a blue city but it is in a deep red state so no matter what side of the line of politics you fall on you will always have something going on around you that you will want to argue with somebody about. Welcome to the Capital City.

As everyone has already said a commute from Austin To San Antonio daily would be horrific. You would have to have some sick and twisted passion for being stuck in traffic to be able to tolerate that kind of commute.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,131,785 times
There is lots of attractive hill country area between Austin and San Antonio where it would be nice to live if you don't mind a more rural lifestyle. They would be a much more reasonable commute than all the way from Austin. I agree the Canyon Lake area would be a good choice.

Weather is not much different between Austin and San Antonio. A similar graph for humidity is almost identical.

Austin------------------------------------------------------------San Antonio

Old 04-23-2015, 12:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.adams33 View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with any part of Texas. In fact, every inch of it is Shangri La compared to San Leandro.

There will be zero meaningful difference in the weather between SA and Austin. It won't be "in the 90's" - it'll be heat indexes above 100 and 90 at midnight.

That drive would be closer to 2 hours.

Nothing about Texas is going to replicate the Bay Area - which is a feature, not a bug. From what you've shared, it's really not a good fit. I'd turn down the job.
Pretty fair post. Though I wouldn't punt yet on Texas.

Where in San Antonio is the job? If it is "north" you could live in the western portion of Austin and drive to San Antonio the "back way" through Dripping Springs and Blanco. Very nice and scenic drive in a Texas Hill Country way.

I would not describe SA as flat. That is Houston. SA is not as hilly as Austin, but portions of it are pretty enough. Vastly different feel though between SA and Austin.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:11 PM

52 posts, read 51,550 times
In California you can drive 1-1.5 hr and see swings in climate and temperature. That's not the case here. If you want to live in Austin to escape the weather in SA you will be disappointed.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM

743 posts, read 1,375,465 times
OP, I completely get where your perspective is coming from.

And for those on the board that are shocked or find it really funny that so many people think "Austin isn't Texas" or something of that variety, I can assure you that's what's being told and sold to outsiders over and over again. I heard it 15 years ago before I moved. And I continue to hear it over and over when I travel, which is often. When I'm on work/family business in California, I've lost track of how many times I've heard (from people that have never been here), "You live in Austin...that is SO COOL!" or "I hear that is the ONLY place in Texas to live," "I hear that is the Bay Area of Texas," "Houston is ugly," "Wow, you were so ahead of the trend moving there", "Austin is SO different from the rest of Texas", "Austin is the place to be," blah, blah blah.

So it completely makes sense to me that this is the impression people have.

That said, I DO see a difference between the culture and topography of Austin and other Texas cities. I DON'T see a difference in temperature between Austin and San Antonio. OP, I think that was just a fluke the week you were in SA. We've had a mild spring here so far this year in Austin.

And while I wouldn't ever dream of commuting between Austin & San Antonio (it can be well over an hour depending on what part of Austin you are coming from), I also get that a 1 hour commute doesn't seem long coming from the Bay Area. I commuted about 17 miles and it took close to an hour in the Bay Area. But you'd be putting a lot more mileage on your car with the Austin-SA commute, plus it's probably going to take you longer than an hour.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 19,609 times
Wow! thank you all for the responses. From what I am gathering from your posts (and reading older threads) actually seems to be more down-to-earth than the second-hand info and media propaganda that you see popping up around here lately. Blakely, you are right about the impression people are getting in California who have never been to Texas are getting. One of my cousins, who is now attending Texas University, told me to just forget the weather, mountains and beaches and give it a chance. And yes, my friends who went to South-by-Southwest are what you might call hipsters or scene-sters. They seem to think anyone who doesn't live in the city is a redneck....I think thats pretty close-minded.

As someone mentioned, I am facing a decision, stay in San Leandro or get out and live a little, see more of the country. I do feel like many of us younger generation in my corner of California are sheltering ourselves from trying anything different. I would really like to visit Austin and the rest of Texas, and my cousin said we will do the road trip thing when I come out next month.

I guess I really should have given San Antonio a chance, instead of comparing it to Northern CA or Seattle. One thing I will say is that the people in S.A. were very friendly and courteous everywhere we went. People actually went out of their way and took time to be helpful. And not having to carry around a jacket everywhere for the evening was nice too. There are definetely some positives that can see now.

And yes, a 2 hour drive is do-able but I would like to cut that down if possible! I also understand there is no commuter train between the 2 cities, is that something in the works for the future?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM

14 posts, read 19,609 times
PS: The lake I was referring to is called Caddo Lake, which I see now is located on the eastern border of Louisiana, nowhere near Austin. Sorry about the confusion. I also see that Houston has some tall trees and is very green, it doesn't look that ugly to me. Houston and Dallas look big with some impressive skyscrapers and nice parks. I guess I have a lot to go see! I actually did enjoy the riverwalk in San Antonio.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 PM

912 posts, read 1,288,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomanaustin View Post
I also understand there is no commuter train between the 2 cities, is that something in the works for the future?
They've been working on the "Lone Star Rail Project" for the past 20 years, and it'll be another 5-10 (best case) before it's completed. If it's completed. Georgetown to San Antonio if they do finish it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin