Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Austin from San Antonio. With the exception of 1 or 2 people I've met, no one really has said anything disparaging. The couple ppl that do aren't originally from Austin anyways. Most people tell me how much they've liked visiting SA in the past, that the food is good in SA, and I guess the only maybe negative thing I've heard from someone frm Austin would be that SA is "big" and "rougher than Austin" --- I guess both of which would be true statements. Ha.

I still miss creature comforts of SA but Austin is growing on me =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
^everyone likes visiting SA it has neat stuff for tourists.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
I've lived all over Texas from North to Northeast to far South to Central for my entire almost-46 years and I have never heard comments bashing other cities nearly as much as I have since I moved to Austin a decade ago. However, all the comments I've heard have been from people who have moved into Texas and straight to Austin. The comments are quite comical -- someone complaining that Houston "has nothing - no museums, no sports, no good restaurants...only refineries" or that Dallas "is just big hair with nothing good to do." I could go on and on...but the main point is that I don't think I've ever heard another native Texan bash other cities like this (other than maybe saying they don't like to drive there because of the big highways and traffic).

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
...but the main point is that I don't think I've ever heard another native Texan bash other cities like this (other than maybe saying they don't like to drive there because of the big highways and traffic).
Exactly. We Texans laugh about the differences, as Austinite (and former Uranium Savage band member) Sonny Davis said in Bernie, "And then you've got your Austin, the People's Republic of Austin with your hairy-legged women and your liberal fruitcakes." But we laugh just as hard when he targets Dallas with its "snobs and their Mercedes" or Houston as the "Carcinogenic Coast".

The viciousness, the moral preening is definitely the transplants. And the acceptable/unacceptable line isn't far -- it is literally the Austin city limit. And there is a clearly discernible political aspect to the condescension. To think otherwise is either non-observant, or - to use a fine Texas expression -- pigs that don't know that pigs stink.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Oh man people actually say there's nothing in Houston?? It's kinda a culture mecca imo .. for Texas. And the food is freaking AMAZING! I gained like 7 lbs in 5 days there last year. Every major city in Texas has something great to offer.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:31 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I have not heard people saying anything bad about Houston and Dallas. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in either, but that's because I am not a big city person. I wouldn't want to live in any big city. Sure, there are some people who have attitudes about other places. But in general, I don't think people spend much time running down other Texas cities. And by the way, contrary to an earlier comment, I lived in northern California for 23 years, and never heard people saying anything negative about Texas or any Texas cities. Mostly it just wasn't on their radar. There were lots of other things to be concerned with. They may have had some inaccurate ideas about Texas - I don't know - but they never talked about them.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
There is some of this, yes, but IMO it's not as bad as it used to be as people wise up (thankfully, because it's embarrassing). There's a real term for it, it's called Austitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
No we don't... But Houston just sucks... I have a right to say that cuz I was born and lived there for 20 years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Houston is a city where people live to work, they keep up with the Joneses in their neighborhoods, but the city itself is butt ugly.
^These types of statements are a few real life examples.

Also, often, but not always, you'll see Austitude with ignoramuses who either grew up in the 80s/90s in one of the far-flung Houston suburbs and have rarely/never set foot in modern day urban Houston; or who occasionally drive through, see it from the freeways and have little to no other experience with it. On the second example, they are usually from out of state originally.

Last edited by sxrckr; 07-08-2015 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 AM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
There is some of this, yes, but IMO it's not as bad as it used to be as people wise up (thankfully, because it's embarrassing). There's a real term for it, it's called Austitude.

^These types of statements are a few real life examples.

Also, often, but not always, you'll see Austitude with ignoramuses who either grew up in the 80s/90s in one of the far-flung Houston suburbs and have rarely/never set foot in modern day urban Houston; or who occasionally drive through, see it from the freeways and have little to no other experience with it. On the second example, they are usually from out of state originally.
Well Houston is a tough nut to crack if you want to experience the cool stuff

Old 07-09-2015, 01:51 AM

847 posts, read 766,825 times
regional pride can be just as toxic as extreme Nationalism.

we have a quite bit of it in Texas.

I have always wondered about those bumper stickers proclaiming "born in Texas Raised in Texas!"

and I think to myself, well what the hell does that have to do with you?

Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM

112 posts, read 165,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
regional pride can be just as toxic as extreme Nationalism.

we have a quite bit of it in Texas.

I have always wondered about those bumper stickers proclaiming "born in Texas Raised in Texas!"

and I think to myself, well what the hell does that have to do with you?
Remember or imagine (whatever the case may be) what it was like 30 years ago - before the internet. Unless you subscribed to a newspaper from another town or had a relative writing you letters from that town, you had no idea what was happening there or what it was like there. People were more insulated in their own area. Distinctions were greater. Every place in America had its own distinct flavor.

Nowadays we live in a world of chain restaurants, big box stores and cross-country re-locators. Our facebook and forum friends may live 400 miles away from us but we're witness to their way of life.

Yes, there are still differences. One part of the country may be warmer than another. One city may have better parks or roads.

But a lot of distinctions are fading. Many times you have to drive into the heart of a city to see its uniqueness. Even then that often looks just like the heart of a dozen other cities.

There's not as much difference as there used to be. And yet it's amazing how passionate some folks can get about that little bit of difference.

We have MLB and you don't. We're better than you. Like I can't watch you stupid team from my house?!!!

We have a crazy-crossdresser and you don't. We're better than you. What? You don't think we have a crazy crossdresser too?

But we have more blacks in our city than you? We're better than you. I'm sitting in an office with seven other people and four of them are black. Who really gives a crap who's across town?

We have 14 Thai restaurants on one block. We're better than you. Oh really? Why do you need that many? Our eight suffice just fine.

And so it goes. It's really amazing and kind of childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin