Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Sure am glad our community is full of folks willing to make police the judge, jury and executioner. Frankly - and I say this as the father in law of a N Texas detective - I don't want to live in a place where that is OK.

Let's see how the investigation on this plays out. Probably were a whole bunch of North Charleston residents initially confident that Michael Slager "protected" them as well when he too shot a fleeing suspect.
You don't live in my community, you didn't know Lepine, and you didn't have this happen while YOUR family was sleeping in the middle of the night. Your opinions, despite your usual claim of in-depth knowledge due to (add qualification here) doesn't mean much to those of us who actually LIVED around this guy.

I hope you are never confronted with this type of event in your neighborhood, but if you are I'm sure you'll be the first to espouse opinions of how to correctly assess and react to a split-second encounter with a dangerous felon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
You don't live in my community, you didn't know Lepine, and you didn't have this happen while YOUR family was sleeping in the middle of the night. Your opinions, despite your usual claim of in-depth knowledge due to (add qualification here) doesn't mean much to those of us who actually LIVED around this guy.

I hope you are never confronted with this type of event in your neighborhood, but if you are I'm sure you'll be the first to espouse opinions of how to correctly assess and react to a split-second encounter with a dangerous felon.
I couldn't give you another official reputation point until I spread it around, Nor Cal, so please consider this one.

Luckily, I don't see his initial posts any more (he's on Ignore), but it never ceased to amaze me that no matter what the topic was, he'd claim extensive expertise in it. He has lived in every part of the city, state, country, and world; has done whatever job is being discussed; has a family member who is every ethnicity, religion, political leaning, and sexual orientation; personally knows every restaurant owner and cook; has talked to every politician and reporter; has driven every road at every hour of the day; has attended all the board meetings and read all the paperwork; has gone to every concert at every venue that ever existed; and either he or his family has attended every grade of school in every district. So that whatever thread he wants to weigh in on (meaning, all of them), we're supposed to believe him because he's an "expert", and nobody else can hold a candle to his all-encompassing qualifications. The obvious insecurity and bizarreness of his posts were actually kind of funny to me for awhile, but then the novelty eventually wore off.

That off my chest, I hope things have calmed down a bit in your neighborhood, Nor Cal, and that you and your family and friends aren't too badly affected by this.

Last edited by Paulmmm; 07-14-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
He ran off, and then came back and got in the seargent's car. The officer tried to get into the car, and in the process the officer was run over.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:37 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Not to mention that our neighborhood where this occurred is heavily wooded and rural, with no streetlights and few fences between homes due to us being on acreage lots. Ever see a trapped wild animal? They'll do anything to flee. This guy could have forced his way into a neighbor's home and there could have been a hostage situation and/or gunfight that would have involved a lot more innocent people.

With what I know, I'd say that officer acted swiftly and appropriately. Our neighborhood is a little safer today as a result. Thanks, APD.
As your neighbor on I agree wholeheartedly!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-14-2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Edited street name

Old 07-14-2015, 02:42 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Well, if that's true, that means we have a 10X greater distribution of crazies amongst us than New York.
Nonsense, it means no such thing. It only means that it is unpredictable when crazy behavior will manifest itself and it has lately been more than normal. Three examples does not make a trend or anything other than three examples.

Don in Austin

Quote:
Here's the part that troubles me:

If he was running away, how was he a threat that justified deadly force?
Because while he reached for a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: