Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 09:26 AM

31 posts, read 34,823 times

Advertisements

A little info first
All children are over 30
Initially I will rent as my wife will not be able to move as she is under contract
Do not need more than 2 bdr
Distance to work/traffic not really an issue as worked in Dallas Fort Worth for several years and a commute of 40+ miles not new.
Obviously I am a little on the experienced side of life so being close to downtown not an option
My work will be near Wells Branch unless they decide to include me in the 2nd wave of work force reduction. Then this is a mute point. Currently reside in Rio Grande Valley not sure how important that is LOL all opinions welcome as I want to be armed with as much info as I can have
Move is suppose to happen in Mar 2016

Thanks in advance for your assistance
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,112,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisok View Post
A little info first
All children are over 30
Initially I will rent as my wife will not be able to move as she is under contract
Do not need more than 2 bdr
Distance to work/traffic not really an issue as worked in Dallas Fort Worth for several years and a commute of 40+ miles not new.
Obviously I am a little on the experienced side of life so being close to downtown not an option
My work will be near Wells Branch unless they decide to include me in the 2nd wave of work force reduction. Then this is a mute point. Currently reside in Rio Grande Valley not sure how important that is LOL all opinions welcome as I want to be armed with as much info as I can have
Move is suppose to happen in Mar 2016

Thanks in advance for your assistance
Mike
If you can afford to buy, buy. Excellent place to park money for investment potential.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 AM

21 posts, read 25,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
If you can afford to buy, buy. Excellent place to park money for investment potential.
Do you say that because Austin is expected to continuously appreciate?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0

Old 07-12-2015, 12:22 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,112,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuen6o View Post
Do you say that because Austin is expected to continuously appreciate?

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0
That's a nifty calculator.

You definitely can't rent a $250,000 house in Austin for $884.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:45 AM

Part of my issue with buying is the property taxes and first have to sell house in the RGV not an easy task currently but appreciate the feed back.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,546,382 times
Rent for a year and then buy. I don't particular care for renting but I'm glad that we did to get a feel for the area and find out our homebuying desires/needs/wants.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 AM

198 posts, read 319,543 times
Buy = long-term you will come out ahead the vast majority of the time. I agree with riaelise though, rent first and get a few locals to show you around the areas and provide recommendations. Go with a short-term rental while you are trying to sell your other property then dive in when you are ready. You will have a stronger offer having your other property sold and offering on a home without a conditional clause.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Thanks as it will be a year or so before my wife can join me I am thinking of just renting a room until I get a feel for it. My step daughter and her family live in San Antonio so I have family near by. We really love our house in the RGV as what cost 800000 up in Austin is about 220000 in the RGV. That being said no high tech work until Space X finally moves in that will probably drive the housing costs up although property taxes are high but not Austin high LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin