Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 86,011 times

Advertisements

@Nor Cal Wahine

I moved from NYC to LA and plan on making moves to Texas (if this is the right place for me) and one of the reasons I can't stand LA is the traffic + very terrible drivers. If there were better drivers I think traffic might be more bearable lol. I'm really sad to see that this trend has made it's way there..but how bad is it really? LA is #1 and #10 worst in the world..I've looked up dozens of lists an austin really hasn't officially made the cut..yet. I checked the traffic this morning and afternoon, and it was mostly green with some bits of yellows and some bits of red..take a look at LA any time of the day! lol..

I really wanted to get away from a city with terrible traff + insanely bad drivers...but everything else over there should make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayndgo View Post
@Nor Cal Wahine

I moved from NYC to LA and plan on making moves to Texas (if this is the right place for me) and one of the reasons I can't stand LA is the traffic + very terrible drivers. If there were better drivers I think traffic might be more bearable lol. I'm really sad to see that this trend has made it's way there..but how bad is it really? LA is #1 and #10 worst in the world..I've looked up dozens of lists an austin really hasn't officially made the cut..yet. I checked the traffic this morning and afternoon, and it was mostly green with some bits of yellows and some bits of red..take a look at LA any time of the day! lol..

I really wanted to get away from a city with terrible traff + insanely bad drivers...but everything else over there should make up for it.
Austin traffic is horrible, but please come on over and help clog it up some more.

Took me a good 40 minutes to get from downtown Austin to Round Rock yesterday on a Sunday afternoon. The wife loves her some IKEA.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Austin traffic is horrible, but please come on over and help clog it up some more.

Took me a good 40 minutes to get from downtown Austin to Round Rock yesterday on a Sunday afternoon. The wife loves her some IKEA.
The traffic seems to be heavier on I35 on the weekends, past 11 am, than it is during the week!! I don't quite understand why. I drive I 35 during the workweek but do my best to avoid it on the weekend.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post

That !-35/University Blvd intersection in North Round Rock is going to be an Austin-style horror until the extensive rerouting work is completed.

And then they'll start the widening improvements on University all the way east to Sunrise Blvd.

Doing improvements piecemeal like that (and on 620 in Round Rock) is very annoying, but at least they ARE actively under construction instead of doing more "studies" which have to be "reviewed" for years or decades before breaking ground.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
The traffic seems to be heavier on I35 on the weekends, past 11 am, than it is during the week!! I don't quite understand why. I drive I 35 during the workweek but do my best to avoid it on the weekend.
We've started using 45 to 130 to 71/Ben White to get from Brushy Creek to the St. Elmo/S. 1st Street area instead of MoPac.
Haven't used I-35 for that in 10 years.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there's more total trips on weekends than weekdays (though not compressed into rush hour).

On a weekday, you go to work and come back. Maybe go out for the evening and come back.

On a weekend, you may exceed that just in running errands in the morning.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayndgo View Post
@Nor Cal Wahine

I'm Nor Cal Wahine. Not So Cal Wahine. They may as well be two different states and I can't speak at all about So Cal traffic.

My traffic experience in the SF Bay Area was simply too many cars on the road, not angry, aggressive driving. I commuted 100-plus miles some days and traffic backups drove me crazy but I didn't experience the "move out of my way or I'll run you off the road with my Ford King Ranch Quad Cab monster truck" aggression but on very rare occasion. Even my native Austinite hubby remarked that too many cars on the road was what he noted while there for three years - not mean people behind the wheel. Things felt different here to him when he returned to Austin. Everyone has a different opinion of this, but for me, the anger and aggression of the drivers here has been the biggest eye-opener.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:59 AM

52 posts, read 51,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Everyone has a different opinion of this, but for me, the anger and aggression of the drivers here has been the biggest eye-opener.
Yes, I've seen this a few times and experienced it firsthand a time or 2 as well. Normally with a monster pickup getting upset about something, accelerating and cutting in front of the other vehicle, and then slamming on the brakes. Makes you wonder what people are doing to risk incurring or causing bodily harm like that.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,510 times
Does anyone think the lack of enforcement may have something to do with the uptick in aggressive driving? I take the same inner city arterials to work every day and notice that posted speeds are usually exceeded by 10 mph or more by many drivers. It is as if the collective driving consciousness is making up its own rules as time goes by. There is zilch enforcement anywhere (or fear of such) in my travels but maybe I'm just not on the right roads.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:19 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,136 times
Yep. Can't recall the last time I drove by/through a speed trap here...was thinking this yesterday on 51st (near HEB Mueller) where people are doing like 50+. Just crazy.

Although they are enforcing the "don't block the box" campaign....lots of education still needed on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin