Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times

Advertisements

Okay, so this Midland Energy company moves its headquarters to downtown Austin, citing difficulty in recruiting talent to Midland.

Energy company shifts HQ to Austin, inks space at Colorado Tower alongside Aussie firm - Austin Business Journal

I sense an immense opportunity here. We could become the headquarters of all the energy companies in the Permian Basin, rivaling Houston in this industry. I think we could step up the efforts to recruit other Midland companies.

Who would've thought we may have a chance to beat Houston at its own strength!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
I hope that is at least a bit tongue-in-cheek about competing with Houston, but I know another HUGE company that is having lots of difficulty hiring professional staff in the M/O area (they have a regional office there).

Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I hope that is at least a bit tongue-in-cheek about competing with Houston, but I know another HUGE company that is having lots of difficulty hiring professional staff in the M/O area (they have a regional office there).
I'm surprised you picked up on it even though I didn't use an emoticon...

I don't see us realistically surpassing Houston, but I do think we could lure several companies from Midland/Odessa.

If we played our cards right, this could be the headquarters for Permian Basin exploration. That is a big "if".

I think San Antonio needs to try to do the same thing for the "Eagle Ford" shale region. They are the natural HQ for that region, although if they play it wrong, we could lure some of those companies as well.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Valero moving to SA a few years back was huge. I don't track company satellite or regional offices, but I suspect SA is doing quite well with the Eagleford Shale situation. I was in Cuero a couple of months ago, and for anyone that is familiar with Cuero, it has been going through a very, very slow demise for years now; however, the EF has resulted in three new motels/hotels under construction and a sprinkling of new businesses on main street. It is really nice to see, because it is kind of a neat little town.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Valero moving to SA a few years back was huge.
Valero has been in SA since its founding in 1980.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM

624 posts, read 907,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Valero has been in SA since its founding in 1980.

I thought this also, Tesoro Corporation and NuStar Energy as well.

Last edited by BillyH; 07-08-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM

587 posts, read 961,617 times
Carefull there, Austin could lose it's hippy cred.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'm surprised you picked up on it even though I didn't use an emoticon...

I don't see us realistically surpassing Houston, but I do think we could lure several companies from Midland/Odessa.

If we played our cards right, this could be the headquarters for Permian Basin exploration. That is a big "if".

I think San Antonio needs to try to do the same thing for the "Eagle Ford" shale region. They are the natural HQ for that region, although if they play it wrong, we could lure some of those companies as well.
I can assure you most of the independent exploration and production companies in the Permian Basin will always be headquartered in Midland.However, in the future, I may move mine to Austin when I have one but Idk yet though.I just think San Antone would be a more natural choice for fossil fuel companies due to the environmentalism of Austin.I live in Midland.However, yall could probably lure some companies but yall will never be the headquarters of the majority of West Texas wildcatting companies.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I can assure you most of the independent exploration and production companies in the Permian Basin will always be headquartered in Midland.However, in the future, I may move mine to Austin when I have one but Idk yet though.I just think San Antone would be a more natural choice for fossil fuel companies due to the environmentalism of Austin.I live in Midland.However, yall could probably lure some companies but yall will never be the headquarters of the majority of West Texas wildcatting companies.
The thing is, having good engineers/geologists/etc... are important as are having good CEOs. Selling top notch talent on Austin is "easy" whereas forcing them to move to Midland is not palatable at all.

Environmentalism plays no part, if Austin can attract the talent they need, those companies will move here. It will just be the white collar executive and engineering positions here and Austin does that kind of thing well.

Many of those oil folks may not culturally fit with the Austin vibe, but there are many parts of the metro, like Round Rock and Cedar Park, where those folks could settle and blend in quite well.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The thing is, having good engineers/geologists/etc... are important as are having good CEOs. Selling top notch talent on Austin is "easy" whereas forcing them to move to Midland is not palatable at all.

Environmentalism plays no part, if Austin can attract the talent they need, those companies will move here. It will just be the white collar executive and engineering positions here and Austin does that kind of thing well.

Many of those oil folks may not culturally fit with the Austin vibe, but there are many parts of the metro, like Round Rock and Cedar Park, where those folks could settle and blend in quite well.
I know but ATX will never be as important as Midland in the Permian Basin oil biz.I know they are just as important as CEOs.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 07-08-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin