Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:24 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
No, the music thing is real. We had a regular poster here for year from CT. He couldn't believe that the groups that liked -- that pretty much matched your list -- didn't play here at all or did but to little fanfare and in small venues. He was miserable here and eventually moved back.

I also agree that the work you will be looking will be harder to find than you think. I see these posts as "Texas Friendly," people sincerely warning you that what you are looking for doesn't really exist here.
Exactly. We're trying to be frank with what Austin is and isn't. If she's looking for hard rock bands, she's looking in the wrong place. If her husband is looking for saltwater fishing, he's also looking in the wrong place.

Austin's tastes are very singular. And as much as we may try, we cannot bring the Gulf any closer than 4 hours drive from here.

I actually think the OP would like Louisiana, there are a lot of Cajun "jam bands" that get down quite a bit and lots of rock bands perform in New Orleans. But she doesn't want to listen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
No, the music thing is real. We had a regular poster here for year from CT. He couldn't believe that the groups that liked -- that pretty much matched your list -- didn't play here at all or did but to little fanfare and in small venues. He was miserable here and eventually moved back.

I also agree that the work you will be looking will be harder to find than you think. I see these posts as "Texas Friendly," people sincerely warning you that what you are looking for doesn't really exist here.
Maybe include the link so she can read.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Oh I am getting a very narrow picture from some. I get the impression go home before I even arrive. Anytime someone hears a NY'er wants to move anywhere-it's Yankee go home. I tend to think your area is like Long Island-snobbish on itself. Sad as there is a wealth of things to make the area worth while.

On that note-we will be looking away from metro Austin, but like here-I can look a hour or so in any direction from a major city to find what I am looking for in a new home. Just like I can be to NYC in 90 mins or Albany in 90 mins. I am sure there's somewhere there like that which will fill what we are looking for.

I can do without hipsters-we are overrun from Brooklynites and Long Islanders here that are just like that. Just give me a nice little place to call home and work for another 20 years or so and we'll be fine.

So you've managed to show me a tad of what attitudes we'd encounter. I deal with that on a daily basis. Sad that it's spread to Texas.
I'm a yankee, and grew up not as far away from you as you'd think. Heck, I'm a Giants fan. In Texas. Married to a Cowboys fan. It's a strange world. No one's ever hassled me about it. Austinites are prejudiced against Californians, not yankees, and mostly in jest regardless.

I know yankees that have moved down here and loved it, and I've known people who have left fairly quickly. I think you will be the latter. Actually, whoever said the west side of Fort Worth was probably spot on as far as the best option for you in Texas. Victoria might be worth checking out, but I've never actually been there. Austin just isn't the place for you. You're not going to like it. But sure, come visit. If you want opinions on places in Texas that aren't Austin, ask on the Texas board. 90 minutes out from here isn't Austin. It's not a suburb of Austin. My spouse always comments on how different suburbs are in the Northeast. But it sounds like you won't believe it until you see it.

Fun fact for Austinites, the word dude comes from the phrase yankee doodle. Next time you hear some hipster call some other hipster dude, they're actually calling them a yankee. Right on, dude.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Default Positives for Central Texas

My husband is a native Texan. I was born in the Midwest. We were 38 years in New England and now 3 years in Central Texas north of Austin. We RV and travel a lot. We hike, fish, canoe, and enjoy the outdoors. We visit state parks, camp and visit small towns and explore the countryside. We love it here.

Positives for us:

We are within an hour of an international airport in Austin and a regional one In Kileen.
We have good, accessible medical care; a necessity as we age.
We have cultural amenities available if we want/need them, such as theatres, museums, sports, concerts, etc.
Texas has many great state parks for camping and outdoor enjoyment.
We have vast expanses of countryside when we want/need peace and quiet.
We are within a day's drive of Big Bend, Far West Texas, Palo Duro Canyon, the Gulf Coast and East Texas, all different culturally and geographically.
The people are, for the most part, amazing.
The weather, nine months of the year, is terrific.

Not so good things:

Traffic into and out of Austin is awful--as bad as Boston.
Homes in developments are clustered on small lots.
Outside of Austin, a car is a necessity and getting places often requires driving some distance.
Summer heat is oppressive and takes some acclimation.
Cedar fever can be a real issue for many.
School quality is inconsistent.
Drought and water restrictions are a fact of life.

Liberty Hill, Andice, Hutto, Leander, Jarrell, Salado, Harker Heights--all possibilities. Or, to the south, Kyle, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs.

Do come visit. It's not for everyone.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Fun fact for Austinites, the word dude comes from the phrase yankee doodle. Next time you hear some hipster call some other hipster dude, they're actually calling them a yankee. Right on, dude.
I agree with this observation. Growing up in Texas, "dude" was a pejorative term.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 AM

I think a small town in SE Texas within an hour of Houston may fit the OP better than here, to be frank. Close to saltwater fishing, dirt cheap houses, large treed lots, very conservative people.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMfan View Post
Not true. There are quite a few non-fixerupper homes right now in 78744, 45, and 47 for that and well under.
No there are not anymore in 45 like that.

There were until about spring of 2015 , they are gone now.

Yes there are still some in 44 and I don't know about 47.

44 though is a ghetto more or less or the modern version of one. So yes if you are ok with that you can find a home there and if not-not an option.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I think a small town in SE Texas within an hour of Houston may fit the OP better than here, to be frank. Close to saltwater fishing, dirt cheap houses, large treed lots, very conservative people.
So what's wrong with small towns in the area of Austin? Too expensive for us? Listen, I have more to spend that $250K, I just chose not to as I just sold another home here. I am paying cash for what we buy. Simple. Why is everyone thinking I need a dirt cheap house? Or a large treed lot? I said no larger than what I own- 1/3 of a acre= .29 That's not big at all-it's 80x160. That's all I've been living on for the last 23 years after building our house. It's owned, lock stock and barrel. Close to me means within 4 hours. Not within short distance-I don't like hurricanes much, been through too many here-Agnes did a number here and I haven't forgotten it along with others. We are Republicans-not very conservative-where did you get that idea?

I think we'll come and form our own opinion. You all are trying to say we don't fit, either monetary, education or what we like wise. You don't know us from boo really other than a few typed words on a page. Unless you are a 20-30 something, have gobs of money and are as liberal as Californians, we won't fit.

I thought I'd get people tell me about the area, not telling me it's not for us. I get when we wouldn't be welcomed, and I guess that would be the case here. Sad as I think it would be good outside of Austin for us as there is a lot we do like about the area. But we'd never be accepted or welcomed because we aren't what is wanted down there. That's what I get from this thread. Sad, really sad.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
So what's wrong with small towns in the area of Austin? Too expensive for us? Listen, I have more to spend that $250K, I just chose not to as I just sold another home here. I am paying cash for what we buy. Simple. Why is everyone thinking I need a dirt cheap house? Or a large treed lot? I said no larger than what I own- 1/3 of a acre= .29 That's not big at all-it's 80x160. That's all I've been living on for the last 23 years after building our house. It's owned, lock stock and barrel. Close to me means within 4 hours. Not within short distance-I don't like hurricanes much, been through too many here-Agnes did a number here and I haven't forgotten it along with others. We are Republicans-not very conservative-where did you get that idea?

I think we'll come and form our own opinion. You all are trying to say we don't fit, either monetary, education or what we like wise. You don't know us from boo really other than a few typed words on a page. Unless you are a 20-30 something, have gobs of money and are as liberal as Californians, we won't fit.

I thought I'd get people tell me about the area, not telling me it's not for us. I get when we wouldn't be welcomed, and I guess that would be the case here. Sad as I think it would be good outside of Austin for us as there is a lot we do like about the area. But we'd never be accepted or welcomed because we aren't what is wanted down there. That's what I get from this thread. Sad, really sad.
What's sad is that there were people offering you suggestions and you continue to latch on to posts that you find objectionable. I said to try Georgetown, which is not terribly far from Austin. Guess that got lost in your follow up defensive posts.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:13 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
We are Republicans-not very conservative-where did you get that idea?
Maybe from your statement where you said Democrats make you twitch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin