Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times

Advertisements

jhwest, I think I heard a financial analyst mention that same thing your friend who works at Dreyers Ice Cream said about corn. It sure explains those high milk prices.

jco, I buy a lot of produce too. I'm not into organic as much as the quality of the produce itself. I will have to take a second look at Whole Foods as they have several locations where I'm at now. I just feel sometimes I'm overpaying when I shop there, even though the staff are nice and they have a great variety. No offense meant to anyone who likes shopping there!

Neddy, interesting point about HEB Mexico and the organic produce. I never thought to care about where my produce was being imported from. I just assumed most of our out of season fruits (and some in season) were all from out of the country regardless. I guess it really does matter to some.

S6Sputnik, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:29 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
We find the food costs lower here than they were in Colorado.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Okay, I think I am going to the grocery store today, so I will try to get some prices, just for comparison. How about a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread? Maybe some produce..hmmm...maybe check out the bananas and oranges. Seems generic enough, probably Dole or Chaquita bananas everywhere, right? . Having lived here for forever and a day, I have no idea what food costs elsewhere, except when I visit my friends in Dillon, CO, and that is a tourist priced town. My friend actually drives in the Denver to shop.....

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
HEB is cheaper on just about everything compared to California grocery stores. I notice the largest price differences on frozen dinners (Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine), pre-packaged cheese, and Progresso soups. Other things are much cheaper as well.

There are very few Walmarts and Targets with grocery stores in them in California, so the pricing is similar to Randall's in Austin. Randall's is under the same ownership as Safeway and Von's so a "Randall's" type store along with its prices is what you normally see in California.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM

One thing I liked about Denver grocery stores as opposed to H.E.B nowadays is that they got nearly all of their produce from local growers. They would post a small little bio as well. Some of the farms they bought from also sold things at the Farmers Markets in town. H.E.B says they buy local, but nearly everything in there is from Mexico and South America.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM

138 posts, read 410,209 times
Ya'll need to grocery shop in Arkansas, then check out Austin. Arkansas has horrible produce most of the time and its high.

My wife and I loved Central Market and Fiesta. When we move back to Austin in April we will be EXTREMELY HAPPY to get back to those stores.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,572 times
Most of the food is more expensive here than in the Seattle area. We buy a lot of produce and dairy, not much meat though. I couldn't believe how much HEB had raised their prices for their cheese a couple days ago: The charge now almos $8 for their cheapest 2lb block of cheese!! Bananas are cheaper here though
Oh, yes, I agree that the quality of produce in HEB is awful... And when you complain they either ignore you or tell you that's how the whatever is supposed to look!! Pleease, who do they think they are fooling!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM

My neighbor goes to Arkansas several times a year to visit her parents and she said that she was surprised by how much things are costing there.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Okay, I think I am going to the grocery store today, so I will try to get some prices, just for comparison. How about a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread? Maybe some produce..hmmm...maybe check out the bananas and oranges. Seems generic enough, probably Dole or Chaquita bananas everywhere, right? . Having lived here for forever and a day, I have no idea what food costs elsewhere, except when I visit my friends in Dillon, CO, and that is a tourist priced town. My friend actually drives in the Denver to shop.....
I think what made my traveling buddy comment on the prices was when he saw that he couldn't get any apples in Austin under a $1.50/lb. We are lucky to be surrounded where we currently live by affordable fruit markets but the costs are starting to go up here too.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
There are very few Walmarts and Targets with grocery stores in them in California, so the pricing is similar to Randall's in Austin. Randall's is under the same ownership as Safeway and Von's so a "Randall's" type store along with its prices is what you normally see in California.

So, I could equate Randalls to Dominicks (Safeway) here in Chicago, which is what I felt it was like in Phoenix.

Well, I know which grocery to avoid now.

HEB did have some really nice and tasty Fuji apples though. They were worth the almost $2.00/lb. I didn't check the country of origin though. Maybe I should start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin