Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,238 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior and get asthma every couple of months if I don't get the shots. Nose runs, red eyes, head aches, turns to asthma, chest hurts and just can't breath. I am allergic to everything from the trees to the dust to my dog. I still have to work so getting shots every week is hard for me up and after a while I seem to fall to the way side. I'm unsure if the drops would work or should I go back to shots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I get the shots too. According to my doctor, there are some studies that suggest the drops aren't as effective, but those are still very preliminary. He also told me that the drops have not been FDA approved yet, so insurance won't cover them.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
I tried the drops for 1 1/2 years. They did nothing for me. I've never tried shots because I'm not committed to going to the doctor on a weekly basis to get them.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:09 AM

319 posts, read 610,370 times
I did the shots for about a year. Got near the end and had a near fatal event so they cut me off cold turkey. Never saw any benefit from it. Turbinate reduction, here I come!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:01 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
I did the drops too and did not help at all.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
My wife got the shots for a long time but I don't really think they did any good. We moved..... she got them here for awhile but I think she ended up wuitting. Seemed like a waste of money.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
There has been a new method developed for expediting the sequence of shots and the build up of immunity so you don't have to go in every week. I started last June going in for 3 hours once a week for multiple shots, had to do that for 8 weeks. Then it tapers off. Now 5 months later I'm down to going in for 1 shot every 3 weeks. Next month it will taper off to one shot every 4 weeks.

The shots have helped me a lot, been getting them for years. I was down to getting one shot every 4 weeks last winter. However it appeared that I may have developed a new allergen and needed to be retested, so I changed to a new Doctor in South Austin, Dr. Seth Hollander where I can get shots closer to my home. I was retested and found that I had developed a couple of new allergies so I had to start the sequence of shots over again. Dr. Hollander recommended this faster sequence of shot and it seems to have worked well for me.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:15 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There has been a new method developed for expediting the sequence of shots and the build up of immunity so you don't have to go in every week. I started last June going in for 3 hours once a week for multiple shots, had to do that for 8 weeks. Then it tapers off. Now 5 months later I'm down to going in for 1 shot every 3 weeks. Next month it will taper off to one shot every 4 weeks.

The shots have helped me a lot, been getting them for years. I was down to getting one shot every 4 weeks last winter. However it appeared that I may have developed a new allergen and needed to be retested, so I changed to a new Doctor in South Austin, Dr. Seth Hollander where I can get shots closer to my home. I was retested and found that I had developed a couple of new allergies so I had to start the sequence of shots over again. Dr. Hollander recommended this faster sequence of shot and it seems to have worked well for me.
That's what I am doing. I was getting 2 shots, 2 days a week, then it tapered to one shot two days a week, then one day a week, and now I am down to one shot every 2 weeks. Next month I will start with just one shot, once a month. That will last for about 2 years until I don't need any more shots (hopefully).

I won't really know the effectiveness until cedar season hits.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
That's what I am doing. I was getting 2 shots, 2 days a week, then it tapered to one shot two days a week, then one day a week, and now I am down to one shot every 2 weeks. Next month I will start with just one shot, once a month. That will last for about 2 years until I don't need any more shots (hopefully).

I won't really know the effectiveness until cedar season hits.
Yes, cedar season will be the big test for me too, its always the worst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: