Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 AM

455 posts, read 463,930 times

Advertisements

As a kid growing up in San Antonio, my mother took us to the pool as often as possible. We avoided playing outside in the afternoon heat if we weren't at the pool. Learn to dress comfortably and still be dressed appropriate for the situation. Wear sunscreen, it makes a difference in the long run. Protect your eyes from the glare. Keep a small cooler filled with bottled water in the car. If you are in a minor accident or your car breaks down on the side of the road and you're stuck in the heat for a period of time, it can make all the difference if you have children with you.

Finally, once you have taken these precautions, go with the flow and ignore the heat. Whining about it only makes it worse, I have learned to do the above and then just ignore the heat.

As mentioned above seek out swimming pools, water parks, and swimming holes. Or those amusement centers that are air conditioned.

Adapt to the climate, then ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 03:43 PM

102 posts, read 129,543 times
I have lived in Austin for almost exactly a year now so I have gone through one summer already.

First of all, it's like African Sahara hot lol But, I got through it pretty okay. The hardest part is that it's so long!

I moved from Seattle, which has super nice and mild summers. However, most houses and many businesses do not have air conditioning and when it does get hot it gets really awful. At least everywhere here has air conditioning.

I did what most people have posted - made sure to get out of the house and get things done in the morning, even things like grocery shopping or errands. I did a lot of swimming last summer as well but I'm very fair so I had to slather on the sunscreen like crazy. Invest in good sunscreen. I avoided peak sun hours as much as possible in order to avoid the strong sun rays.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post
I have lived in Austin for almost exactly a year now so I have gone through one summer already.

First of all, it's like African Sahara hot lol But, I got through it pretty okay. The hardest part is that it's so long!
Last August was about the shortest 'summer' we've had since arriving in '08.

It usually starts around May Day and lasts through Sept 30.

Buckle up

Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 AM

383 posts, read 343,470 times
Is this true that heat lasts 9 month (as has been written in Wiki)?
Does somebody know if every community has a own pool?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 AM

240 posts, read 272,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Like any Southern climate, summer starts ramping up in May and winding down in October.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
It is probably best to look at the actual data for average and record highs (rather than a bunch of anecdotal stuff from us ).
Intellicast - Austin Historic Weather Averages in Texas (78723)

On average, four months of the year will have average highs above 90 F. Conversely, every month of the year has a record high of greater than 90 with the exception of January, which is only 89 F .

No, not every community has a pool. One thing HOAs often maintain is a pool, but you do pay for that through your HOA fees. The city also has city pools, some of which charge a minimal entry fee and others which are free.

Almost all of the newer apartments/condos will have a pool, but not all and not the older ones necessarily.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 AM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
The old joke pepsik is that there were two only seasons in Texas. Summer, and Not Summer. Thats all. Heat is relative here. Eventually you get to thinking 80-90 degrees is "not too bad". You dont even start to think of it as hot until it gets over 95. To me the only "hot" months are June-Early September at which point it starts to settle down again. We may have some low 90 degree days in May but I have gotten used to it over the decades. June, July and August. Those are the months you will come to dread. For new residents the first 110+ degree August late afternoon is a real wake up call. Just remember to wear summer clothes, drink plenty of Ice Tea and use your AC. Also do no leave pets or youngins in a locked car alone unless you want your windows broke by some stranger like me. Box fans in every room you spend your time in is also another cheap and easy solution, remember to stay hydrated. Airflow and fluids are your friends when it gets warm.

We have a lot of pools in Austin for good reason but not all community's have them, mostly the poor neighborhoods do not. Try Barton Springs at least once during a heatwave for a very new experience, but go during the off hours or it will be packed.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 AM

102 posts, read 129,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Last August was about the shortest 'summer' we've had since arriving in '08.

It usually starts around May Day and lasts through Sept 30.

Buckle up
Yeah, I had people tell me that! It seemed to go through October last year so I'm prepared for that! Well, as prepared as you can get.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Anyone who moved to Austin in the winter/spring of 2010/2011 got a taste of Austin Summer Heat right out of the chute.

I found this interesting page (from the NWS) regarding the summer of 2011:

100 Degree Days - NWS Austin/San Antonio WFO

- 90 days that year with highs of OVER 100 degrees.
- Pretty much every day from 6/5 to 9/15 was over 100 degrees (with half a dozen cloud covered days interspersed in there so the temp peaked out at a chilly 98 or 99 degrees ).
- minimal rain that entire summer.

It was brutal & relentless. My kid played in 3 sectional and 2 national tournaments that summer and I'll never forget it. I bet a lot of newbies moved back home after that summer. We could have another summer like that this year or in 11 years....but it'll happen.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
2011 was BRUTAL! 2009 was no picnic either. To my mind however the summer of 2000 is the topper (25 summers in Austin). That is the year of the all-time record, 116, and my kids were toddlers who really felt the heat and I drove a car without tinted windows!!! (never again)

Last summer barely felt like a summer at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin