Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninjt View Post
ahhh, no love for 78753

"welcome to windsor hills, i think the gunshots have stopped."
Now that's a tag line if ever I saw one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Ahhh, no love for 78753

"Welcome to Windsor Hills, I think the gunshots have stopped."
lol - We bought our first home in Windsor Hills in 1971 - ours was the 5th NPC house to be built in that new neighborhood. It was pretty far out northeast in the sticks then, as Rundberg Lane had just recently been paved. It was a nice place to live until we escaped the exploding growth & moved WAAAYYY north to the Four Seasons neighborhood on East Braker in '76. Raised our 3 boys there until we got out of Austin & built a house in Brushy Creek in 1995, where we have retired. Love it up here.
Guess Windsor Hills went downhill sometime in there.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 12,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
There is no "best" neighborhood and those articles miss the mark on many Austin neighborhoods that can not only stack up to their income and education stats but are also much closer to desirable amenities, boast high walkability scores and are located near major employers. Many of those areas mentioned are very remote and full of bloated cookie cutter McMansions in master planned communities -- and the reason many people live there is they couldn't afford a similar home in the desirable interior areas of Austin.
I highly doubt affordability is the issue given the median income. Those zip codes do represent the highest median income incomes in Austin and the well to do areas.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:18 PM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
lol - We bought our first home in Windsor Hills in 1971 - ours was the 5th NPC house to be built in that new neighborhood. It was pretty far out northeast in the sticks then, as Rundberg Lane had just recently been paved. It was a nice place to live until we escaped the exploding growth & moved WAAAYYY north to the Four Seasons neighborhood on East Braker in '76. Raised our 3 boys there until we got out of Austin & built a house in Brushy Creek in 1995, where we have retired. Love it up here.
Guess Windsor Hills went downhill sometime in there.
A lot of Windsor hills is just fine, say from Braker to Floradale. Other than the proximity to the increadibly busy highway its a fairly peaceful place to live. As you get closer and closer to Rundberg however things start to go down hill and it gets "bad, for Austin". I wouldnt even compare it to bad neighborhoods in places like Chicago or Baltimore, but compared to the rest of Austin, yea its pretty run down. East 7th-11th used to take that honor for Austin as the "bad neighborhood", but the Magic of Gentrification has fixed that area so now its Rundberg in the spotlight. The pond is still here and people still fish out of it, although the city keeps threatening to get rid of it just about every other neighborhood meeting, annexation has not been pretty to put it mildly.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:45 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
best depends on what you are looking for.

If you want walkability then it is the central core (01-04)
If you want mostly rich white people and great schools, then 78746. If you cant afford 78746, then 78732 (steiner).
If you want the best schools without all the rich people (substitute asians) then parts of 78759 and parts of 78750
If you want to be near lake travis for a lake lifestyle then 78734
If you want to be on lake austin, then 78731
etc
& for those who are more visual.......

I know, I know....the map's not 100% accurate, but it's wonderfully politically incorrect and cracks me up.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM

390 posts, read 671,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice10 View Post
I highly doubt affordability is the issue given the median income. Those zip codes do represent the highest median income incomes in Austin and the well to do areas.

I was thinking the same thing. Some people actually want to live in a house that is more than 1500 square feet and like the amenities of a master planned community. It's a conscious choice, not a concession.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice10 View Post
Homes of that size would cost two to three times that amount in central neighborhoods such as Old West Austin and Tarrytown. People who make that mean salary aren't going to be able to afford that. Much of the salary data in central areas is skewed because of the number of students living in those zips and more apartments which tend to house lower earners. If one were to make an apples to apples comparison -- homeowners to homeowners -- the income comparisons would be quite different. Income is not net worth. A lot of people make the mistake of confusing the two.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:30 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Old West Austin and Tarrytown.
Right, that's where the old money lives.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:31 PM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
& for those who are more visual.......

I know, I know....the map's not 100% accurate, but it's wonderfully politically incorrect and cracks me up.
They left out the Jewish HEB on Far West, quite important.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:43 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
A lot of Windsor hills is just fine, say from Braker to Floradale. Other than the proximity to the increadibly busy highway its a fairly peaceful place to live. As you get closer and closer to Rundberg however things start to go down hill and it gets "bad, for Austin". I wouldnt even compare it to bad neighborhoods in places like Chicago or Baltimore, but compared to the rest of Austin, yea its pretty run down. East 7th-11th used to take that honor for Austin as the "bad neighborhood", but the Magic of Gentrification has fixed that area so now its Rundberg in the spotlight. The pond is still here and people still fish out of it, although the city keeps threatening to get rid of it just about every other neighborhood meeting, annexation has not been pretty to put it mildly.

Our house was on Kendal and backed up to the little two lane Dessau Road. The kids who lived across Dessau used to shoot dove from their porch, and the shotgun pellets sometimes rained down on my patio cover.
This was before Dobie Jr. High & the fire station were built. Not to mention all those apartments on the south side of Rundberg closer to I-35.
Haven't driven down that way in 20 years, so it must've changed a bit. Hope Ken's Tacos is still open, they were pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin