Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times

Advertisements

When researching my planned move to Texas and choosing different cities I've noticed one of the caveats people say about Austin, especially from Houston Dallas and LA, is that you'll get bored. How? Why? Isn't Austin full of recreational activities? Isn't there a festival or musical event every weekend? Doesn't the city have top notch bars and music venues featuring acts every weekend, and I'm sure daily too? And last I really like the progressive and libertarian culture there so there would many lectures and events hosted by famous academics, activists, journalists etc no?

I'm just wondering how someone would get bored? What do you think they mean? I'm not 22 anymore I don't need flashy lights and the electric daisy carnival happening every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Radio, you've posted exhaustively on the topic of Austin for two plus years now. Why don't you just get on a plane and spend some actual time here already?

Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Radio, you've posted exhaustively on the topic of Austin for two plus years now. Why don't you just get on a plane and spend some actual time here already?
If it were only that simple Nor Cal. I'm not making the same mistake again by moving to another city without figuring out all the cost/benefits. I'm making sure I get all the info before I make any trip to visit and then make the move. I apologize for asking so many questions but it's just I'm getting up there in age, I'm making a career switch and I need all the info I can to start a new life. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone and I missed out on Texas for a while because I wanted to see the world and live in a "world class" city.
And this Nov and Dec I'm making two trips where I'm going to extensively scout Austin, but also Dallas.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I just meant catch a flight out for a long weekend or two or more of visiting. Rent a car, drive around, check out some restaurants and clubs and other places that are of interest to you. Make a 'dry commute' run from an area you are interested in living in to an area that you think you could end up employed in. Check out local shops. Visit some parks and museums. Create your own opinion of the city rather than *only* asking others theirs, because at the end of the day, your own personal experiences will be all that matters to you. Just some friendly advice.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM

Hey you're not wrong there. You're right.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If it were only that simple Nor Cal. I'm not making the same mistake again by moving to another city without figuring out all the cost/benefits. I'm making sure I get all the info before I make any trip to visit and then make the move. I apologize for asking so many questions but it's just I'm getting up there in age, I'm making a career switch and I need all the info I can to start a new life. Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone and I missed out on Texas for a while because I wanted to see the world and live in a "world class" city.
And this Nov and Dec I'm making two trips where I'm going to extensively scout Austin, but also Dallas.
what are you looking for and what dont you like about where you are at now?

To me a place is ultimately about the people in your life. Everywhere I have lived I have made great friends and Austin is no different.

After the people in your life, it is things to do. With great people you can have a bbq and just hang out, you dont need anything else.

Anything beyond that is gravy.

Things I love about austin that are somewhat different than other places

1) great mountain biking trails with good technical features
2) decent weather
3) lots of foresty areas
4) lots of cool and interesting high tech people and companies
5) decent lakes
6) somewhat close to the gulf
7) lots of good restaurants and types of food
8) good at protecting the environment
9) cool festivals (although I rarely go)
10) ultimate frisbee is austin's first pro sport
11) lots of huge green spaces marked as preserves

Things I dont love about austin
1) not enough trails for mountain biking. Its hard to ride 30 miles because few trail systems have that much trail available
2) Natural beauty is limited or in private hands. Would be nice to have a large open national park
3) Would love to be 1.5 hours closer to the gulf
4) A little too liberal in restricting freedoms (anti smoking, anti bags, mandatory disabled construction, cant do this, must do that.. etc)
5) not enough direct flights to other places- means usually needing a connection
6) Not enough diversity in food options.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
I'd be at risk of getting bored more easily in large flat cities like Houston and Dallas since I'm not made of money and prefer to participate in my own fun rather than be entertained. There's no doubt there's more high culture and more niche activities to pay for in larger cities.

That's the thing about Austin that so many people don't seem to get. Though it's growing fast and coming more into the spotlight, it's still a relatively small city. You still have to participate in the culture for it to be sustainable and impressive for its size. You can't just observe it. You can't just attend an open mic night; you have to get up on stage at some point. You can't just go to Eeyore's birthday and complain there's nothing to it (I heard that in passing this year); grab a bongo and a pipe and make a goof of yourself. Go find a local band you like (there's probably one that fits your taste) and promote them rather than complain that Austin made up its live music reputation because you heard only crappy cover bands on Dirty 6th once. You think the farmer's markets here suck? Go grow your own vegetables and sell them! Is Austin not weird enough for you to be entertained? Be weird and watch how people embrace you. I could go on and on.

Point being, Austin is an active and open culture. It's not here to cater to you. Even then, it does have a great night life.

Compared to Houston and Dallas (and arguably LA because traffic makes it hard to escape the city), Austin has way better and way more outdoor recreation as well.

I tend to live by the saying "only boring people get bored", and if you run out of fun in Austin, I'm of the personal opinion that you have messed up priorities in life.

Last edited by Westerner92; 05-16-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 12:38 PM

At this point it's more about economic freedom and social mobility. The rest are just perks including friends. LA is very transient and people are too busy to hang or are flaky. I have a ton of family in Austin and Houston so hanging out with people is covered.
I live in a great area of the SFV in LA, I make decent money and I live a decent life but the reason why I get jaded is the thought of moving up. The city plays a game of chess with you, raising rents, costs, little fees and taxes, housing costs rise, more congestion. Every time i get a raise it just feels I've inched closer to what I want not gained something more substantive. In Texas cities it just feels as though nothing is too out of reach with a little ambition.

Although I do hear some issues with COL in Austin too but that seems to be confined to the inner core, no? I would think just being a bit outward you'd still find better deals. I've found some amazing apts brand new all new amenities 2x2 overlooking the hills a little outside of the city for the same cost I'm paying for my junior one bedroon (nicer way of saying studio) out in the valley.
And I've also heard that wages are a bit lower to due the high supply of young talent willing to work for less. But is that in the city too or all over the Austin area? So these are things I'm considering too. Pay is way higher in Houston and Dallas.

But you're right I could be happier anywhere, but that place at least has to give me a shot to get ahead.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
In general, yes wages are lower here for all jobs, pretty much anywhere in central Texas, exceptions are CA-based companies that pay everyone in North America on the same (CA-level) scale.

25 years here, took about 5 years to fall in love with Austin, had about 18 amazing years, now not as happy. Mainly because the congestion and crowding can make daily life less fun and much more stressful.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:07 PM

I can prolly get used to that. I mean how bad is it? It cannot be worse than in LA. Now I would be transferring jobs so the wage thing might not affect me because I'm sure my company will let me keep my CA salary. I hope. But what could I do starting off with a 70k salary in the Austin area? Once I make my career switch then i will worry about the wage difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin