Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times

Advertisements

An interesting recounting of the day from a former co-worker of mine.

Not sure if this will work, but I will try and see:
https://www.facebook.com/davidbcabe/...62160823824090
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,851 times
Default Domestic violence is a better predictor of mass shooting than is "mental illness," an overbroad category.

Another case of domestic violence run amok. First victims were the women in his life, just like the kid killer from Newtown, Conn. It's scary how many of these mass shootings have to do with men who can't live with women.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:36 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
This narrative account of the tragedy appeared in Texas Monthly on the occasion of the 45th anniversary, and I found it a powerful read.

96 Minutes

Old 08-01-2016, 06:02 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
RIP to all my fellow Longhorns. That was an ugly day, and the terrible memories are still fresh in my mind.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:24 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Another case of domestic violence run amok. First victims were the women in his life, just like the kid killer from Newtown, Conn. It's scary how many of these mass shootings have to do with men who can't live with women.
From what I read:

- It was the father of Whitman who beat his wife (the mother) & also beat young Whitman and his two brothers (& others) as kids.

- Whitman had actually rescued his mother from FL (from his father) & brought her to Austin a couple of months earlier before the shooting.

- Not sure if Whitman (the shooter) ever hit his wife (before the event). Maybe someone who's read one of the books can clarify.

- Whitman had more issues with being a failure & hating his dad (or maybe he was just a whack job) than issues with women (from what I've read).

I attended UT in the late 70s. Many students would glance up when crossing in front of the Tower while walking to class. (usually when walking by oneself). It was definitely on our mind 10-12 years after the event. I wonder if it still is for students? (glancing up even though the tower is closed....or looking around for a logical spot to run to, behind a statue or flagpole or hedge if a shot rang out?)

Old 08-01-2016, 07:18 AM

Default What do you call domestic violence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
From what I read:

- It was the father of Whitman who beat his wife (the mother) & also beat young Whitman and his two brothers (& others) as kids.

- Whitman had actually rescued his mother from FL (from his father) & brought her to Austin a couple of months earlier before the shooting.

- Not sure if Whitman (the shooter) ever hit his wife (before the event). Maybe someone who's read one of the books can clarify.

- Whitman had more issues with being a failure & hating his dad (or maybe he was just a whack job) than issues with women (from what I've read).

I attended UT in the late 70s. Many students would glance up when crossing in front of the Tower while walking to class. (usually when walking by oneself). It was definitely on our mind 10-12 years after the event. I wonder if it still is for students? (glancing up even though the tower is closed....or looking around for a logical spot to run to, behind a statue or flagpole or hedge if a shot rang out?)
He started his last day by murdering his wife and mother before he even went to the campus. That pretty much defines violence against the women in his life, right there. He might have learned his violent behavior toward them from his father; domestic violence is a learned trait.

When I was at UT in the mid-seventies, no one looked at the tower unless they weren't wearing a wristwatch.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 AM

283 posts, read 255,614 times
The Tower shooting was a bit before my time, but it's always interesting to me to read about the ordinary citizens who brought their rifles to campus and started shooting back. This forced Whitman to take cover and fire sporadically through the tower's rain spouts, almost certainly saving countless lives. Imagine if that happened today - those unsung heroes would be spending many years in jail for illegally discharging a firearm within the city limits.

The rifle fire also likely caused enough of a distraction to enable two officers and a civilian to get to the observation deck before Whitman realized what was happening. Imagine, an armed civilian spontaneously joined a group of law enforcement officers on what may well have been a suicide mission. And apparently nobody even thought twice about it at the time. Truly amazing how much things have changed.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
He started his last day by murdering his wife and mother before he even went to the campus. That pretty much defines violence against the women in his life, right there. He might have learned his violent behavior toward them from his father; domestic violence is a learned trait.
Over-simplification. He appears to have had a psychotic break and killed the two people he lived with and who were also (at least in his mind) dependent on him. Sure, maybe he did have a history of domestic violence, but he could have also been the perfect son/husband up until that point. I don't know. There may be people out there that do know more, but I really haven't read that much non-newspaper discussion of the event.

Even in the 80s, I thought about the incident when I looked at the tower, even though I never recall every having any worries about the tower. I remember being bummed I couldn't go up in it.....

Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Default Hard to overlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Over-simplification. He appears to have had a psychotic break and killed the two people he lived with and who were also (at least in his mind) dependent on him. Sure, maybe he did have a history of domestic violence, but he could have also been the perfect son/husband up until that point. I don't know. There may be people out there that do know more, but I really haven't read that much non-newspaper discussion of the event.

Even in the 80s, I thought about the incident when I looked at the tower, even though I never recall every having any worries about the tower. I remember being bummed I couldn't go up in it.....
Some of us simplify, others ignore the elephant in the room.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Some of us simplify, others ignore the elephant in the room.
And some just hallucinate .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin