Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:09 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBlue View Post
We're going to go with the position in Harker Heights. It is for the same salary, but the benefits were much much better. Honestly, I have no idea what we're going to do about the children's education. The fact it, and as much as people obviously get mad over this (I'm quickly learning that people from Texas REALLY love Texas), public education in most of Texas just isn't up to snuff. Not when you compare it on a national level. There ARE some very good schools in Texas, as in not just good FOR TEXAS, but good in comparison to other states, but none of those schools are anywhere near Harker Heights, or even Austin for that matter. With the exception of one school district in Austin (Eanes) none even come close to the level of performance found here. What I am most curious about, is why are people so quick to defend their lackluster school districts? You should stop being offended and start being concerned as to WHY your schools are not as good as their northern, eastern, and western counterparts? Shouldn't your children have the same level of quality education as that found here? As someone who both attended these fine schools, and now has children enrolled in these institutions, I don't think I'm being elitist or offensive just because I want my children to have the same level of education they are receiving here, but in the state of Texas. I want my children to have THE BEST education. What mother wouldn't want that for their child? ALL children should have access to excellent schools.

Perhaps it is simply a difference in family values. In my family, education is paramount. You get good grades in order to get into a top tier university. And even then, college is merely a stepping stone to one's profession, which in my family is either medicine, science, or law. There is great expectation placed on us, as there was on our parents, and their parents. I come from a long line of family, on both my mother's and my father's side, that excelled in school, worked extremely hard at their professions, and succeeded in life, all so they could give their children THE BEST life. I don't know, I think the U.S. in general is sliding down a slippery slope of mediocrity. We can no longer compete. Anyway, I suppose we're just going to have to go the private route. Which is something I really didn't want to do, because neither my husband or I are religious. But I don't what else to do and I'm not happy about this move in the least. Thank you to those who provided me with useful advice about utilities and whatnot. I'm sorry so many of you were offended. Don't mess with Texas, right?
Nashville is awesome!

I don't want to confuse your decision making process but did you know that in 1941, Nashville was the first city in the country to be granted a FM-broadcasting license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 AM

9 posts, read 7,525 times
1. The OP wants elite, top rated schools for her special snowflake(s) but also bemoans paying taxes. She will probably find both of these together in...uh...hmmm...anyone??
2. Someone who is picky, critical and discriminating should not move to a place like Harker Heights.

End well, this will not.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
OP, you have been warned that this is a bad move. A year from now you are going to be posting that texas sucks..

Old 09-10-2016, 07:59 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,579 times
Nashville, more like Awesomeville!

Elvis recorded over 200 of his songs at RCA’s historic Studio B on Music Row. A string of Christmas lights still hangs in the studio to this day. These lights were put up when Elvis had a hard time getting in the holiday spirit while recording a Christmas album.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:15 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
OP, you have been warned that this is a bad move. A year from now you are going to be posting that texas sucks..
She's already posted that ALL (but a handful) of Texas schools suck.....& that Chicago-land mothers care more about their children's education than mothers in Texas.

I agree that she must be a troll. No one (especially a prospective Harker Heights Attorney's family member ) could have this much trouble with critical thinking. She has basically said that the following High Schools (& ALL of their feeder patterns) ALL suck:

- LASA
- WWHS
- LTHS
- Anderson HS
- McNeil HS
- Vandy HS
- CPHS
- Vista Ridge HS
- Bowie HS
- McCallum HS
- Dripping HS
- Gtown HS
- Gtown - Eastside HS
- Liberty Hill HS
- Salado HS

She's either a troll....or has been stuck in some faux, progressive suburb too long, with the rest of her clueless, snowflaked, semi-copter, semi-stepford moms. (who apparently are also paragraph - & common sense - challenged)

I was going to recommend Belton, but Belton is a nice little town and deserves better. Instead, please move to TENN. The real estate taxes are lower, & it's not a "barren desert".

Old 09-10-2016, 08:16 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,825 times
OP:

This happens in any thread on this site. You'll get a lot of hate for being picking in what you want, and you'll get some solid responses. You can probably be happy in either however upon further evaluation of the thread I do believe you would throughually dislike the harken heights/Killeen area.. Like most people do.. I think you could be happy in the places I listed earlier (cedar park, Leander, Georgetown, liberty hill) but whoever is making that commute isn't going to be very happy- although traffic wouldn't be bad it's just a long drive twice A day to make. Also keep in mind that while Austin is an awesome city and has nice suburbs it does lack some things you'll be accustomed to.. Such as

*a nice zoo (nothing against the Austin zoo because what they do is great- however coming from Brookfield/Lincoln zoo it's not the same)

*amusement parks (aka six flags is in San Antonio And dallas) etc

*pro sports

*museums (there is a few but again the varsity and caliber arnt on par with what your used to)

*food variety (Italian beef sandwiches, cheese frys. Pizza, Chicago dogs, Perogis.. Etc) either not Available (can order Portillo's beef sandwiches online/cheese frys as we know em don't exist here) or not the same quality/variety.

And so on and forth but just make sure your ready to give that up/willing to make the drive to San Antonio, Waco, Dallas of Houston. Will Austin get some of these things in the future? Probably.. But as we speak no.

Is Nashville gonna have some things missing to.. Probably. I liked Franklin as I mentioned earlier but other then that Nashville wasn't super impressive to me.. But again it's obviously on your list for a reason. The taxes are much lower, housing in certain areas much more affordable, weather isn't as hot for as long.. Can't speak to the commute and don't know the Clarksville area/schools.

Good luck whatever you guys choose!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:22 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Waco is Waco. What do people think of when they hear the word Waco?
Baylor?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM

240 posts, read 272,070 times
I don't know about schools, but Clarksville, TN seems like the way nicer town/city. I assume that probably makes for better schools too.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM

772 posts, read 1,059,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I'm stunned! Shaking my head at Harker Heights, I'd live almost anywhere else in Central Texas before moving there. I've never known anything other than personal injury attorneys and divorce attorneys to be based in Harker Heights. Somehow I feel like we are being trolled especially when the thread in the Nashville forum didn't even go over a page. FWIW, the consensus was that living in Nashville while commuting to Clarksville was nuts. Nearly as nutty as living in Austin and working in Harker Heights. Couldn't find a place more like southern Illinois if you tried.
Lol.. your post made me curious and I went to read the OP's post in the Nashville forum. Totally different tone to the OP. Almost like a different person and more enquiring rather than "know it all" tone found in this post.

What was surprising to me was OP's budget. They are looking for 3/4 bedrooms with 1/2 to 1 acre for under $300k. If possible under $200k so that could buy it outright. Nothing wrong with what anyone wants to spend or can afford but I was surprised because with all the OPs wants, I'm used to seeing that wth really affluent people looking for $1M+ homes in places like Austin or $2M+ in West/East coast areas.

That budget is regular people budget not people who brandish whole sections of states as "blue-collar" and sub-par and seemingly look down on anything "regular". Regular people are also okay knowing that they cannot afford the"Eanes" of this world and instead go find the best that there can with what they have and get on with it.

But then, what do I know!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 AM

175 posts, read 226,278 times
Quote:

Perhaps it is simply a difference in family values. In my family, education is paramount. You get good grades in order to get into a top tier university. And even then, college is merely a stepping stone to one's profession, which in my family is either medicine, science, or law. There is great expectation placed on us, as there was on our parents, and their parents. I come from a long line of family, on both my mother's and my father's side, that excelled in school, worked extremely hard at their professions, and succeeded in life, all so they could give their children THE BEST life.
I suppose I can only shake my head that critical thinking wasn't part of that THE BEST education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin