Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

did you find that you were spending more in Austin? I'm wondering what's better: paying higher property tax and no income tax vs. living somewhere where the property tax is lower, but you have to pay income tax. Also, is the cost of living, taxes, etc. relatively cheaper in Austin than on the East or West coasts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
did you find that you were spending more in Austin? I'm wondering what's better: paying higher property tax and no income tax vs. living somewhere where the property tax is lower, but you have to pay income tax. Also, is the cost of living, taxes, etc. relatively cheaper in Austin than on the East or West coasts?
OK, I'll bite. Based on our current income and property taxes in Sandy Springs, GA(just outside of ATL), we will even things out when we move to Austin--JUST looking at these two factors. Unfortunately, DW is looking at houses costing $100K more than our current home so we will take a tax hit if she gets her way. Our prop taxes on our current ~$340K home are under $3K per year. DW's dream house in Avery Ranch will hit us for ~$11K in property taxes. I guess I won't complain unless our income drops dramatically.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Good to know. $11k--ouch!! Hopefully, your dw can fall in love with a less expensive house

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Good to know. $11k--ouch!! Hopefully, your dw can fall in love with a less expensive house
Don't I wish! I have to admit that I really like this house as well. It would be fun to find something with 20% less square footage with a comparable price per foot. That would help the numbers on both ends!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Could be worse. Property taxes in the suburbs outside New York often outpace $11,000 by quite a bit, and this in the state with the highest income tax in the nation. But it's mostly worth it.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
I can't find my post on this but here it goes again.

We pay about 2.69%, which becomes about $8,900 for the year on a ~3,700 sq. ft. home on 1/4 acre. We do, however, walk to two exemplary schools, so we see part of our taxes as supporting our girls education without having to pay for a private school in CA to be the same level. A private school doesn't lower our AGI either!

But, you probably want to see numbers. Well, we are single income, and I make an good 5 figure income. After our write offs, I never paid more than about $2K in CA state inc. tax, so here we save that, but we then pay much higher property tax. We see it as wash though because of the school mental "factoring" we include in our perception.

Also, the equivalent house, in an equivalent area, in Orange County, where we moved from, would be about $800K-$1 million, which would be about $8,200-$12,000/yr. property tax based on valuation.

So, we pay about the same property tax, and if we could afford a $1 million dollar home, our CA state income tax would no longer be $2K/year, more like $8K-$10K per year, and we would have to pay for private school!!!

So, I guess you have to factor whatever is important to you into the equation.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 AM

233 posts, read 1,046,216 times
All things considered I think I would rather pay the income tax. With income tax when your income changes your tax burden changes with it. It might not be pleasant, but when you are making money, you can afford to pay taxes. Property tax is totally unrelated to income (except in the sense that you have to have a certain income to buy into a property) and are based on a non liquid asset. If your income remains stable or goes down and you live in an area where property values are stable or rising your tax burden goes up. You are paying taxes on a gain not realized.

Take CalitoSteiners example of a ~300K house with a 2.7% tax rate. Austin continues to boom and Steiner becomes the most desirable place to live in Austin and 5 years down the road that house is now appraised at $550K.

2008 = appraised value $300K, taxes $ 8100
2009 = appraised value $330K, taxes $ 8910
2010 = appraised value $363K, taxes $ 9801
2011 = appraised value $399K, taxes $10781
2012 = appraised value $439K, taxes $11853

The homeowners exemption has kept the appraised value of the property $100K below the market value but the taxes on the property have gone up 33% since the property was purchased and have no relationship to income.

Granted, this is an extreme example by Texas standards but it is not out of the realm of possibility. It certainly brings home the point of why people are not always excited to see their property values go up.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM

22 posts, read 101,419 times
We will end up saving about $500/month in moving to Austin when compared to what we pay in MD.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
With a property tax, you can protest your tax valuation (I know, I've done it, successfully), and there are various exemptions and special valuations. With income tax, not so much.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM

327 posts, read 962,989 times
We're looking at moving to Austin from Seattle. Quick question: I think you can claim a deduction for property tax on your income taxes. Because Austin has outrageous property taxes, are you seeing any of that money come back to you in your income tax deductions? Does the higher property tax act as a good federal income tax shield for you than it would in other states where property taxes are more down to earth?

It just stinks that your property tax increases every year instead of staying locked for what you bought the home for. I would rather pay income tax in this case. People have been talking about wanting to establish a cap? Does anyone think this will happen anytime soon?

However, if you have kids and you see that your kids are going to fine public schools and the roads are really nice then I think one can justify the added expense. The road quality up in Seattle is terrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: