Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I live in Cedar Park. on 1431 within a one mile radius. There are the following restaurants..

There is a....1)Serranos 2)Dos Salsas 3) Tortilla Factory 4) Torchys Tacos 5)Taco Shack 6) Lupes Tortilla 7)Chueys (almost opened, just built) 8)Taco Cabana 9)Fuzzy's Tacos 10) Los Chilaquiles 11) Camino Real 12)Taqueria La Tapatio .....

So theres 12 tacos places one mile apart from each other . I eat at maybe 2 of them. I don't even know how some stay in business . I just think it stupid to have so many taco places on one street. Maybe the cities should give incentives to bring in more diversity in the restaurant department.

I lived in round rock... we always had to drive 20 minutes to get some food
It really depends on where you live in RR. Restaurants are spread out throughout the city. I live in far east Round Rock and there's the places along 79 and the chains and such in North Pflugerville (12 minutes away). Everything else is distributed throughout the city. Tex Mex and bbq are the dominant cuisine, as to be expected, but there are also ethnic places throughout the area. Most of them are small, in nondescript malls, and don't have a lot of fanfare but they're good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
My wife and I are seriously thinking about opening up a a small place that sells italian beef and such forth. It may be in the next couple years as I already own a online company that I manage, so keep en eye out. I worked and have experience in the Pizza/Beef restaurant industry back in Chicago about 12 years ago.
Excellent !!

But you'll have to teach us noobs how to "assume the stance" while eating them.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I always wondered what heaven looked like.....who knew it was in Cedar Park ??

(& you didn't even mention Mole Chicken Enchiladas (& 12 other types of enchiladas available) at Jardin Corona's on Business 183 !!)

I love Taco's myself but easily can do without 10 of those places as they don't get my money. Good Salsa is also key. Torchys is sometimes so slammed that the line wraps around two times to the bathroom..... they need to expand their establishment . It is too busy for that strip mall .

Another form of Heaven comes in Italian beef ,with Italian bread , Mozzarella Cheese , Italian Sausage, and red sauce / aju sauce on top .

I asked the girl at HEB one time about Italian beef and Aju and the girl looked at me like I was crazy LOL... Luckily I get that piece of heaven shipped in from Chicago at the moment.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Excellent !!

But you'll have to teach us noobs how to "assume the stance" while eating them.
That I can do. They can get messy with the right amount of toppings .... i have been researching this for some time. We may take the leap when the time is appropriate. So standby. We already introduced our local Austin friends here (that lived here their whole life) and they loved them!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 PM

64 posts, read 60,871 times
Quote:
I just think it stupid to have so many taco places on one street. Maybe the cities should give incentives to bring in more diversity in the restaurant department.
Welcome to Texas.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times
I looked up Chicago hot beef. I only looked at the pictures. Can someone explain what the main differences are between it and a Philly?

Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times
I've had the original French Dip in LA. Really liked it. Does the Chicago sandwich have the au jus on the sandwich instead of in a bowl?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
I've had the original French Dip in LA. Really liked it. Does the Chicago sandwich have the au jus on the sandwich instead of in a bowl?
I used to travel a LOT for business and would always eat at the locals "joints". (would make my customers take me to their faves).

Regarding the Chicago Hot Beef Sandwich - The end product (if one is a "dipper") is similar to the French Dip in LA (Phillipe's?) But the Italian Hot Beef (there are several semi-famous places in Chicago) doesn't give you a bowl of aus jus. & the sandwich itself has lots of peppers & onions etc along with beef that is fall apart tender (I think they marinate the ingredients together for the length of a Pro Basketball Season).

You order it either "wet" or dry. If wet, they dip the whole sandwich into the drippings & that's how you get it.....a huge honking sliced beef & peppers & onions sandwich on an Italian roll - falling apart and dripping all over the place.

Only way to eat it..... is to assume the position - best standing up......feet spread, leaning over the bar or a 4 foot high table that runs along a wall, stick your chin out & go for big bites. I'll try to find a pic somewhere. It's a messy slice of heaven.

Great for first dates....with Aus Jus pepper & beef drippings dribbling all over one's shirt & chin.

Jimmy, if i have any of this wrong, feel free to correct me.

Last edited by hound 109; 01-11-2017 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Edited to put a pic in there.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I used to travel a LOT for business and would always eat at the locals "joints". (would make my customers take me to their faves).

Regarding the Chicago Hot Beef Sandwich - The end product (if one is a "dipper") is similar to the French Dip in LA (Phillipe's?) But the Italian Hot Beef (there are several semi-famous places in Chicago) doesn't give you a bowl of aus jus. & the sandwich itself has lots of peppers & onions etc along with beef that is fall apart tender (I think they marinate the ingredients together for the length of a Pro Basketball Season).

You order it either "wet" or dry. If wet, they dip the whole sandwich into the drippings & that's how you get it.....a huge honking sliced beef & peppers & onions sandwich on an Italian roll - falling apart and dripping all over the place.

Only way to eat it..... is to assume the position - best standing up......feet spread, leaning over the bar or a 4 foot high table that runs along a wall, stick your chin out & go for big bites. I'll try to find a pic somewhere. It's a messy slice of heaven.

Great for first dates....with Aus Jus pepper & beef drippings dribbling all over one's shirt & chin.

You nailed it! The sandwich has sliced beef that is dipped in warm aju sauce with spices. It typically goes on a 6 or twelve in piece of italian bread.You can add cheese, dip it in gravy, red sauce, Italian sausage(which is amazing), giardiana, and or hot/sweet peppers. We also use to order it on our pizzas with Italian beef and giardiana .

Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:

Talk about a heart attack on a plate. Why don't they just batter dip and fry it to seal in the mess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin