Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homesteader View Post
Looks like you are a senior so this is a great city as UT is here. Lots of places to walk and enjpy gold, boating, fishing. Marble Falls, just to the west of us aia a small town with lots of retirees coming in. I am definitly going to retire here as the weather is perfect and views are enourmous. I grew up in New Canaan Ct and never want to see snow unless I am skiing on it!
Sheila
I beg your pardon! Who you callin' a senior??? We have a ways to go before we are seniors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
I think it depends on what you consider the drawbacks of a big city. Sure, cities like Chicago and Boston have neighborhoods with distinctive personalities, but they are still located in high density corridors, and you still have to jump on the city grids to get anywhere, whether you drive or commute. I think you are looking for a mellow atmosphere, maybe even bucolic-like, without the incessant hum of urban transportation corridors or pollution. Per Austin, I would not say that it has a small city feel, but it is more personable and grounded than many big cities, and people seem to get along and talk to each other more, which is similar to a small city. The traffic is anything but small city. It isn't the interstate traffic, as much as the local roads, which are usually pretty much humming night and day. There are quiet islands, like travis heights, hyde park, and such, but Austin is a pretty active and dynamic place. Madison, WIsc. might be closer to your ideal of a small city that still has enough going on not to stifle the soul.
We loved Madison, but it's tooooooo cold!!! Is the Univ area in Austin similar to Madison's Univ area?

Old 02-29-2008, 02:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I'm from a small town of 20,000 and Austin definitely feels like a "city" to me. It does not feel like a "big city" like Houston does, but it's not small by any means. I don't know what the person who said that downtown is "underutilized" is referring to, as I think Austin's downtown is extremely busy and thriving. It really feels me with energy to be among the downtown hustle and bustle. At the same time, Austin has a lot of trees... EVERYWHERE... and this can make even the inner-city neighborhoods seem small and quiet. I think that if we had fewer trees that it wouldn't feel like a small town in many areas.

Also, just to give you an idea, there are a ton of highrise projects slated for downtown that are either under construction or about to be under construction. See the following graphic for a glimpse of downtown Austin now, and what it will look like in only two years: Future Austin Skyline Panoramic Poster :: Austin Fit Magazine (http://www.austinfitmagazine.com/skyline/ - broken link)

You can literally see it go from medium city to big city from 2008 to 2010.
Pretty cool poster....yeah, no doubt it will look like that in 5-10 years......I just hope they don't high-rise the south congress and south lamar corridors. There are plans for moderate high rises down south cong and such right now, actually, so lets hope they dont ruin the First Thursday ambience too much. It won't be that quick, as I don't think that many projects have even broke ground yet, and there is a bit of a commercial loan tapping out now, but they will be built eventually, so that skyline should look like that somewhere between 2011-2015.......and it will be beautiful...

Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We loved Madison, but it's tooooooo cold!!! Is the Univ area in Austin similar to Madison's Univ area?
Yes and no....the isthmus is unique..between two lakes with a capitol dome at the end, it sure is unique......Diffferences.....UW is a VERY big part of Madison, geographically, culturally, even economically. It would almost be hard to imagine Madison without U of W. UW is more sprawled out as well, its own thing, so to speak. UT is overwhelmed by Austin, though there are more full-time students. I spent my first month and a half in Austin without even seeing the University area. I was overwhelmed the first time I drove and strolled down the 'lupe. It's like they plopped the campus down in the middle of a city, or, I should say, on the outskirts of a DT. Students blend in more
with the city here, and stray off campus far more than UW. Though guadalupe st. is hard core college atmosphere, with the cheap bars and eats and bookstores, the rest just blends in with the city. You will see college kids everywhere, from Eeyore's BD on down, every fest, every where. They seem to prefer to party on 6th most week-ends, at their own clubs that cater to the kids and music, so they barricade 6th and vincinity fri and sat nights most week-ends. It's a little wilder atmosphere than UW, and you get tons of alumni that party with the kids all over on game day/nights.
It's just a more urban campus than UW being smack in the midst of a DT area. I would say that the UW campus is more scenic, but the UT area, combined with the nearby Austin DT, is a little more dynamic and hopping. Both have their charms, but Austin wins in overall atmosphere. Simply bigger with more going on....

Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM

22 posts, read 82,176 times
Ya know, times, they are a changin' in the Austin area (, it really is growing, so who knows if this'll hold true in a few years), but I've always said that one of my very favorite things about Austin is that you're in a "big" city, but you wouldn't know it. If I had to try to translate that feeling I have about the city I love so, it probably has to do with the fact that the atmosphere is so laid back and tons of beautiful nature abounds. At least the way I see it.

I know what you mean about the prices, traffic, congestion, etc. in NY. I've lived half my life in NY (though on LI) and half my life in TX. Not being a true NYC'er, I may not really be qualified to speak about this, but of the times I've gone in, I remember feeling frustrated at how difficult it could be just to walk a straight line in some areas; it can be exhausting. A lot of times I'm more the kind of gal who likes just to stroll around, enjoy the day, and not have to stay on my toes, constantly dodging passersby.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
so that skyline should look like that somewhere between 2011-2015.......and it will be beautiful...
It will look like that in 2010. All the projects in the image have been approved and the majority are already under construction. The completion dates are all on or before 2010.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
It will look like that in 2010. All the projects in the image have been approved and the majority are already under construction. The completion dates are all on or before 2010.
I hope thats the case, and stand corrected if so. I know they have cancelled a number of new construction residential housing subdivisions, but I haven't followed each project per high-rises, and respective breaking-ground dates of such. If anything, they are long overdue per the population growth and number. Indianapolis has about the same population , and a FAR more extensive skyline, with several over 60 stories. I think it SHOULD look like that picture, if anything, and its a shock it took so long to get that way. Glad to hear those projects are indeed on-line, and look forward to seeing the new skyline in 2010.

Here's a pic of DT Indianapolis, which is pretty much what Austin will look like in 2010...

http://www.indyindiana.com/images/indianapolis.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I can remember when the law was that you could not build a building so tall that it obscured the view of the Capitol. That was a lovely time, and Austin had a unique and distinctive skyline, far different from your ordinary American city.

Then someone from "elsewhere" came in with enough money and got that changed, and now we're on our way to looking like the same old same old. Sigh.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I can remember when the law was that you could not build a building so tall that it obscured the view of the Capitol. That was a lovely time, and Austin had a unique and distinctive skyline, far different from your ordinary American city.

Then someone from "elsewhere" came in with enough money and got that changed, and now we're on our way to looking like the same old same old. Sigh.
Actually, THL, the scary thing is that it will look almost exactly like DT Indy, which isn't saying a bunch. I'll post a few more pics of DT Indy to prove that point. Just generica skyscrapers, the high-rise equivalent of a big-box store.
What's worse is if/when they start high-rising south congress and lamar. We used to have a really quaint mag mile on n michigan in Chicago, then they built the hancock building, water tower place, and such, and made it essentially an extension of the south loop. Some city areas, if not most, rely on low-rise development for their charm. I think Austin does more than most. Let's hope they don't overwhelm Austin with too much of it. Perhaps I'm wrong and it will be improved. However, long term residents like texas horse lady know better than I, and they seem to think it will put a damper on Austin's low-key ambience.........hard to say, you know?......

More pics of DT Indianapolis, which is where DT Austin is evidentally headed
post 2010.....

http://www.indyrealestatetalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/img-4916-20-283-29-small.jpg (broken link)

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Anna-Miller/Indianapolis-Skyline-at-Night-with-Fireworks-Photographic-Print-C12343471.jpeg (broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
Not going to happen. The neighborhoods won't allow it and as much as the Downtown Commission wants it, State Law requires compliance with the Capital Viewing Corridor. Comparing Austin to Indianapolis is about as valid as comparing Texas to Norway.

Pontificate all you want. City Council's goal in the late 90s and early 2000s was to increase the population by 25K downtown. The neighborhoods accepted this so long as the development was downtown. Some spill over will occur. But to think we will have high rises South of Riverside and West of I-35 is silly. Anyone remember the "Gotham" project? It was a 30 story high rise just South of the River. The neighborhood association killed it because of the Capital View Corridor provisions.

I agree with the TexasHorseLady in that we are changing and I wish we remained as a smaller city 20-30 years ago. Unfortunately, change is happening but at least we have some influence as to how our city will look for the next 30 years.

Old South Austin Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin