Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I don't know what the person who said that downtown is "underutilized" is referring to, as I think Austin's downtown is extremely busy and thriving.
Read my response explaining this (#22).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,009 times
Default how'bout new braunfels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We are currently in NYC and my husband would prefer us relocating to a smaller city with 150,000 or less people. I was telling him that every place can feel small no matter how big it is. Even in NYC, we are in Greenwich Village and it feels like a small town. His concerns are the hassles of urban living such as traffic congestion, crowds, high prices,etc. I'm trying to convince him to check out Austin.

as for congestion, austin is just as big as any other big city i ever lived in. as for culture (theatre, ballet, opera.....), it is still a small town. folks are still very nice, but you can feel the effect of population growth. driving around here 10-15 years ago other drivers were nice and courteous. not so much anymore.
you could consider new braunfels (about halfway between san antonio and austin) or, if you plan on retiring, a small town in the hill country area.

good luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Indianapolis looks nice enough, but I think the Austin skyline already looks better (forget about 2010)... also, according to emporis the tallest building in Indy is 49 floors, not 60. And although it's taller than anything Austin has right now, it's the only 40+ story building in the city, and no talls have been built since 1990.

Austin has a 44 story topped out, a 43 topping out this year, and a 56 topping out next year. In addition, 4 30+ story towers are under construction for completion by 2010.

"Proposed" gets even more crazy. 1 60+ story tower, 2 40+ story towers and 6 30+ story towers are in the works. I'm sure these won't all get built, but if even some of them do... we're going to run out of downtown blocks soon.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
And you talk about suburban sprawl

Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Not going to happen. The neighborhoods won't allow it and as much as the Downtown Commission wants it, State Law requires compliance with the Capital Viewing Corridor. Comparing Austin to Indianapolis is about as valid as comparing Texas to Norway.

Pontificate all you want. City Council's goal in the late 90s and early 2000s was to increase the population by 25K downtown. The neighborhoods accepted this so long as the development was downtown. Some spill over will occur. But to think we will have high rises South of Riverside and West of I-35 is silly. Anyone remember the "Gotham" project? It was a 30 story high rise just South of the River. The neighborhood association killed it because of the Capital View Corridor provisions.

I agree with the TexasHorseLady in that we are changing and I wish we remained as a smaller city 20-30 years ago. Unfortunately, change is happening but at least we have some influence as to how our city will look for the next 30 years.

Old South Austin Guy

I think you misunderstand me....I hope to God they don't build up/out per high rise corridors.....I've been there/done that with Chicago and Indy, and it ruins the ambience everytime. Just like Stalinist Russia, masses of slabs of marble and concrete render sterile environments, re my comment about them being generic high-rise equivalents of big-box stores. Personally, I think there is a bunch of confusion as to where Austin's "look" is headed the next 5-10 years. They have built a city of mega-apartment complexes NW since '90. I don't think they can screw up THAT bad with south congress/lamar/riverside, and lets hope the capitol view corridor holds. That can be overridden with city councils permission, so keep a tight watch on the council minutes/meetings.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
I think you misunderstand me....I hope to God they don't build up/out per high rise corridors.....I've been there/done that with Chicago and Indy, and it ruins the ambience everytime. Just like Stalinist Russia, masses of slabs of marble and concrete render sterile environments, re my comment about them being generic high-rise equivalents of big-box stores. Personally, I think there is a bunch of confusion as to where Austin's "look" is headed the next 5-10 years. They have built a city of mega-apartment complexes NW since '90. I don't think they can screw up THAT bad with south congress/lamar/riverside, and lets hope the capitol view corridor holds. That can be overridden with city councils permission, so keep a tight watch on the council minutes/meetings.
The thing is to get rail and public transportation you have to have density which means high rises. Mega apartment complexes are good as they are very dense.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Indianapolis looks nice enough, but I think the Austin skyline already looks better (forget about 2010)...
I agree with this. I think Austin's projected skyline looks very beautiful, and modern. But I do wish that they would build the occasional building in a traditional style. I like modern architecture but I think it can start to look a bit repetitive(i.e. glassy, geometric, phallic etc... I hope that the new library takes this into consideration.

I do agree though that too much high-rise will bland-ify the city if it isn't well considered. Actually there are many condos planned that aren't "towers". Hopefully condo and apartment buildings lower than 10 floors will be the meat and potatoes of the downtown urban neighborhoods. If you're familiar with Manhattan, the Downtown part of the city between 14th St. and the Financial District has many lower rise buildings(by NYC standards ). IMHO, this part of the city has the most interesting neighborhoods(Greenwich Village, East Village, NoHo, Nolita, Lower East Side, Chinatown etc...) You can have both.

Keep the major development downtown and vertical, not in the Hill Country or other older, historic neighborhoods.

Oh, and yea - PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austifornian View Post
Here's what you do Goldilocks,

Take him to Houston (pop. 5M) for two days (ooohhh! this city is too big!)
Take him to Bryan/College Station (pop. 150K) for two days (ooohhh! this city is too small!)
Take him to Austin (pop. 1.5M) for 5 days, (ooohh! this city is...)
You might as well go up Highway 6 to Waco instead of turning around just to get to Austin. That might make him reconsider small towns.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default Need info on Ellenwood, Clayton County

School Teacher living in New York City.....Need info on Ellenwood Ga. Thinking about relocating there. What are the crime stats like? ......Average home prices, school system and proximity to downtown Alanta. Thanks,
NYC Teacher

Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Austin doesn't really feel big except for the terrible traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin