Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
This system was set up 25 years ago by people that are mostly out of politics now and who represented parties that had different agendas at that time than the do now, for the most part. While it seems EVERYTHING must be put into red/blue categories and us vs them, it really is about equitable educational opportunities regardless of you economic situation. The only real issue is defining 'equitable'. It would be real nice if politicians could sit down and figure something out, and that the general public wouldn't scream 'traitor!' at every politician that worked together across an aisle to accomplish that goal.

Some days I really feel like humanity has passed from a 'golden age' into some sort of state of decline.
all old people feel this way. The golden age was when you were young and werent exposed to the reality of the world. Every generation says the exact same thing.

From what I can tell, things are better than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
all old people feel this way. The golden age was when you were young and werent exposed to the reality of the world. Every generation says the exact same thing.

From what I can tell, things are better than ever.
I'll let you know when I get old .

But it will be interesting to see how the internet age affects society at large long-term. To go with all the good, there is a lot of negative.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
I'll let you know when I get old .

But it will be interesting to see how the internet age affects society at large long-term. To go with all the good, there is a lot of negative.
I know whacha mean....on my street, those new fangled cars are scaring the horses.

& the music these days....if you listen real close, i think they're singing about sex.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I know whacha mean....on my street, those new fangled cars are scaring the horses.

& the music these days....if you listen real close, i think they're singing about sex.

Cars haven't made it to my neck o' the woods yet....

Old 02-13-2017, 10:30 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
Here is the article I got the original info from. I was referring to the latest news not the original Robin Hood plan which I support in general - btw.

https://www.austinisd.org/announceme...tes-del-austin

I just found it ironic because I see here all the time about the illegals, etc. getting things for free but this was the first time I realized all those conservative rural districts in Texas get a lot of money from us liberals here in Austin.

Also this on school finance reform:
https://www.austinisd.org/legislature

http://www.taxparencytexas.org/

I do think the systems needs reform. I would have to study it awhile to say how. I am not too privy to the specifics.

Last edited by creepy; 02-13-2017 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: add more info and a link

Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Yes!

Quote:
This system was set up 25 years ago by people that are mostly out of politics now and who represented parties that had different agendas at that time than the do now, for the most part. While it seems EVERYTHING must be put into red/blue categories and us vs them, it really is about equitable educational opportunities regardless of you economic situation. The only real issue is defining 'equitable'. It would be real nice if politicians could sit down and figure something out, and that the general public wouldn't scream 'traitor!' at every politician that worked together across an aisle to accomplish that goal.

Some days I really feel like humanity has passed from a 'golden age' into some sort of state of decline.
I agree with you on this one.

I found the info ironic and should have posted the link so folks would not specifically what I was referring too.

I feel all deserve an education whether conservative, liberal or other.

I also feel a strong belief in some things we all join together and solve. It is the mature, "right" or moral thing to do. All this fighting is wasteful and immature.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM

Default I went back and posted the link I was referring too. That way you can see the districts in North Texas too that take Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Friend View Post
I dunno but when I look at this map on page 2, I see a lot of ISDs in areas that are pretty blue like that El Paso, Brownsville, McAllen, Laredo, etc. But go ahead and make this about poor Republicans who are benefiting from old Democratic welfare policies - confirmation bias and all that.

http://www.texansforlocalschools.org...0_with_Map.pdf
I went back and posted the link I was referring too. That way you can see the districts in North Texas too that take Austin money.

Yes, yes we all know about the poor Hispanics who take money from richer ones. That is an old one, Plus we know about all the imagined illegals who go to shcool and take money and the real ones too.

There is such an ignorance though of the yanks looking at Texas and always noting the Spanish surnames and imaging all those with Spanish names are illegals. It just gets ridiculous where you see comment after comment from Yanks saying after a news story "Jimenez, Hmm another illegal takin' our money or committing a crime". Folks not from around here do not realize that the majority of those with Spanish surnames are Americans from the US sometimes going back many generations.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
the money doesnt matter. Learning basic logic, math, reading writing and science doesnt take a ton of fancy equipment. Books from 5 years ago or even 10 years ago are probably fine. The quality of teachers obviously matters some, but I bet doesnt really change much from school to school.

The issue is the parents arent involved and dont know how to be involved. The parents dont know how to value education.

In my area, asian parents have their third graders doing extra work until 9pm at night. The asian kids never play outside because they are grinding even in kindergarten. By high school even the kids with average intelligence have a huge math and science advantage.

I think it is overkill, but the point is their single minded focus on education works (to achieve that particular goal)

Old 02-13-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
In my area, asian parents have their third graders doing extra work until 9pm at night. The asian kids never play outside because they are grinding even in kindergarten. By high school even the kids with average intelligence have a huge math and science advantage.
..and you know that how? You are peeking in their windows to see what they are doing and when they go to bed?

Just curious, since it seems that the Asian kids are doing gymnastics, soccer, and riding up and down the street on their scooters just the same as our non-Asian kids.

Yes, education goes beyond what happens in the school - but routine, rest, good nutrition, and interaction with other kids goes further than grinding homework.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
OP, those rural Republicans are pretty much the only thing keeping us from a wholesale dismantling of public schools in favor of for-profit charters ala Betsy deVos!
That would be a very wonderful thing. Get the Feds totally out of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin