Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishspider View Post
We are looking for a 1 bedroom. They said she would be staying at the South Austin location. Just trying to find a safe location. Preferably an apartment that at least has w/d hookups and somewhat newer/clean.
I think Slaughter Ln would be a good bet, but I'm unsure how many sub-$1k per month rents you'll find both near Slaughter Ln as well as in Austin. You can probably find rent around Lamar and Rundberg/Rutland for under $1k, but it won't be a very nice complex, I surmise. But, since you mentioned S Austin, I'd aim for the Slaughter Lane area, with a budget around $1,000 per month. I think then you'd find a nice complex and location. That is true though that traffic is terrible if commuting from Slaughter Ln to N Lamar during rush hour (and various other times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
I really enjoy living in 78723 but the 183 construction is a negative impact on a lot of commutes until it is complete in 2019 I think.
I end up taking surface roads to get around...a lot of driving on Manor and Loyola for me.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 9,970 times
O sorry im totally unfamiliar with austin.....i see its a little bit north of 183...south of east rundberg lane..i dont know if that helps...would that be considered clear creek estates area?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:45 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
Quote:
O sorry im totally unfamiliar with austin.....i see its a little bit north of 183...south of east rundberg lane..i dont know if that helps...would that be considered clear creek estates area?
That's definetely north Austin. I would recommend southeast Austin (Oltorf/Wickersham). It was an easy drive down Airport Blvd when I used to live over there. Lots of cheap aptartments too.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You gotta get this "north" thing narrowed down. As mentioned, south Austinites consider anything north of the river as "north"...same for Lamar. Just over the river is North Lamar; but it runs over 10 miles north past Parmer Lane. HUGE difference in travel times, etc, depending on which 'end' of N. Lamar or somewhere in between. Closest major intersection is a good way to describe the location.
No, anything North of the river is not North. Who the heck told you that?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
coachrick is correct, at least for old Austinites. that's the way I've always considered north and south too. Realize the city has changed/is changing. I remember a dainty, wealthy, elderly woman in Tarrytown who would never, ever "go south" - meaning never go south of the river!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:37 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
We are looking for a 1 bedroom. They said she would be staying at the South Austin location. Just trying to find a safe location. Preferably an apartment that at least has w/d hookups and somewhat newer/clean.
Give nearby Cross Streets of this "South Austin" work location. Without this information, we're all just spit balling.

& if by "South Austin" you mean the Southpark Meadows or Circle C area....& then you end of working in "North Austin" at Dell or "NW Austin" near Parmer & 620....then I think I would just punt and look for a new girlfriend.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
coachrick is correct, at least for old Austinites. that's the way I've always considered north and south too. Realize the city has changed/is changing. I remember a dainty, wealthy, elderly woman in Tarrytown who would never, ever "go south" - meaning never go south of the river!
That's what I was told when I arrived here in 1969 and what it's been ever since then. North is north of the river, south is south of the river (there even used to be a tug of war across the river to highlight that fact!). There is central, which is immediately north of the river (downtown/UT), but that is still considered north.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:49 PM

122 posts, read 95,296 times
I hardly ever get North of 71 so in my mind North Austin is anything above that I don't have any other suggestions to add to what people have already said.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 9,331 times
If your job is a 9 to 5 type thing you'll have problems with traffic almost no matter where you live. If you can work non-standard hours you'll be better off. If you can't, just leaving home early and going to a gym near your place of employ before work can be a good option. I know people who live as far east as Lockhart and as far west as Spicewood and who commute daily into Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin