Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,726 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I'm moving from New York City to Austin at the end of August and am overwhelmed by the process. I have kind of an idea where I want to live but don't want to cut off any great neighborhoods I don't know about.

So I want to be within a 20 minute drive from UT and Pearl Street. Safety is a big deal for me. I assume it will be safer regardless seeing as I am coming from NYC...but I just want to make that clear.

I don't necessarily want to be in the middle of the college town, but I do want to be near bars and restaurants and cafe's of the sort. If you guys have any recommendations for me, that would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 PM

28 posts, read 22,885 times
What sort of price range were you looking for, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods that are not "downtown" that would be good for you. Depending on what you are looking for, you could be looking at around 250K to 1M or more. So it really depends on the price range a lot. There are not a lot of "bad" neighborhoods in Austin, so you can't go too wrong no matter where you go. If you give me an idea of what you are looking for as to condo, duplex, townhouse, single family, size, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, that would also help me point you in the right direction. Just let me know, and I can give you some tips on where to go.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:21 AM

283 posts, read 255,449 times
Why Pearl Street? That's pretty much nothing but student apartments and fraternity houses. Are you a student, or plan to work in that area? Because if not there's almost no reason I can think of that you'd want to be near there or need easy access to it.

While there are exceptions, as a general rule the UT area is not where the bars and restaurants are concentrated, although I suppose that depends on how one defines "UT area". Even roping in Hyde Park doesn't get you all that much.

Also, what you seem to be looking for is probably going to be exorbitantly expensive so be prepared.

Last edited by DashRiprock; 05-04-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
Price range and school requirements would help a lot.

Our neighborhood (Mueller) is 'near downtown' but only by otherwise "suburban neighborhood" standards in that we're 2 miles from the capitol as opposed to 10 -- and while we have cafes and bars you can walk to it's not quite the same thing as living in, say, Hyde Park or off Lamar. But those areas are more expensive than here and here is more expensive than most other suburban neighborhoods.

At any rate, we're NYC transplants and like Mueller just fine, minus the constant virtue signaling, but that's no different than Brooklyn these days!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:19 AM

436 posts, read 570,974 times
I agree with you, I think the worst areas of Austin you would find absurdly safe if you compared to some of the most dangerous areas of NYC.

With that in mind you probably have a lot of options depending on your budget. Since you mentioned "drive", that also expands the area considerably.

So what's your budget?

Old 05-04-2017, 03:18 PM

I'm looking to rent an apartment. Sorry I should of specified that! My budget is $800 a month, give or take though.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM

All I said was I wanted to be in range of UT and Pearl haha. I didn't mention really anything else that I am looking for besides safety. The only person I know lives at Pearl Street, so I would love to be accessible to her and not an hour drive away.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Default UPDATE: Best Apartments in Austin

Sorry I didn't mention more details. It was late at night and I didn't know this board was that active!

Here are some details:

I am looking to rent an apartment. $800 a month is my budget. I would like to be 20-30 mins away from UT (friend lives there). I am currently searching online and I know I can find some really nice studio places for $750-$900 (with pools, gyms, dog parks, hard wood floors, W/D hookups, A/C, balcony, etc)

I really just want to know which neighborhood would be the best to find an apartment in. I want to reiterate that safety is a big one for me.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 PM

436 posts, read 570,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moody15 View Post
I want to reiterate that safety is a big one for me.
What are you worried about? Tornado's? Rattlesnakes? Gang War Crossfire? Shark attacks?

All four of those are equally likely in the Central Austin area so relax. It's Austin, not East LA.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,829,120 times
20-30 minutes away shouldn't be too much of a problem but you're looking a bit further out than where we are. I know there is some new development out on 290 East near the toll road -- not a whole lot there but it's not that far out and the commute in wouldn't be too awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: