Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 955 times

Advertisements

I live in Kansas City and have begun job hunting in a lot of northern states. While I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Portland, he suggested also looking at Austin as he hears it is pretty progressive like Portland. I personally don't care so much how conservative or progressive a city is, but I never considered looking at jobs in Texas because 1) the heat, and 2) country/country music/cowboys/cowgirls.

Considering Austin is in Texas, how much of a Texas/country feel does it have? Is it more of a regular metropolitan city where you don't really notice, or because it is in Texas there's still lots of a country music and cowboys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM

420 posts, read 403,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWanderlust View Post
I live in Kansas City and have begun job hunting in a lot of northern states. While I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Portland, he suggested also looking at Austin as he hears it is pretty progressive like Portland. I personally don't care so much how conservative or progressive a city is, but I never considered looking at jobs in Texas because 1) the heat, and 2) country/country music/cowboys/cowgirls.

Considering Austin is in Texas, how much of a Texas/country feel does it have? Is it more of a regular metropolitan city where you don't really notice, or because it is in Texas there's still lots of a country music and cowboys?
Nope. We still commute by horse ‘round here.

That’s why this was the one city that embraced F1 racing in the US
Another reason SXSW blossomed into the behemoth it is
One of the founding “festival” concerts began in Austin (ACL)

Seriously. 20 seconds of research would have corrected many of your preconceived notions. That said, I’ll give you the typical Austin response.

Please don’t move here

Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM

202 posts, read 352,975 times
There's lots of progressives and progressive mindset to Austin, but it's still Texas and "country/cowboys" is still a part of the culture here. Not as prominent in Austin as other places....but....ACL fest was oringinally a country music show. Willie Nelson, George Strait, all the country greats used to perform on it. Austin was after all where lots of country outlaws like Willie and Waylon Jennings used to hang after after all...There's a lot of country concerts that come here, but not any more than the pop music or rap artists of today. You see cowboys or country folk around, but there's way more "hispters" walking around.

I'll probably get hate for this....but as you can see, I am a bit biased because I'm a definitely a country girl, but if you don't even wanna get down and sing "Deep In The Heart of Texas" at events or parades, you should just never come here lol

Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
There's lots of progressives and progressive mindset to Austin, but it's still Texas and "country/cowboys" is still a part of the culture here. Not as prominent in Austin as other places....but....ACL fest was oringinally a country music show. Willie Nelson, George Strait, all the country greats used to perform on it. Austin was after all where lots of country outlaws like Willie and Waylon Jennings used to hang after after all...There's a lot of country concerts that come here, but not any more than the pop music or rap artists of today. You see cowboys or country folk around, but there's way more "hispters" walking around.

I'll probably get hate for this....but as you can see, I am a bit biased because I'm a definitely a country girl, but if you don't even wanna get down and sing "Deep In The Heart of Texas" at events or parades, you should just never come here lol
Uh. Yeah. ACL fest was not a “country” festival. Unless G Love & Special Sauce count in your world.

You’re thinking of Austin City Limits, the PBS show.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:30 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Texas would be a good fit, but not in an urban area. Get outside of any metro area, say an hour or so, and you'll find what you're looking for. In the Austin area I'd check east of Austin towards Giddings.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Ryan Adams
Arc Angels
Asleep at the Wheel
Joe Bonamassa
Jane Bond
Blind Boys of Alabama
Caitlin Cary
Gary Clark, Jr., W. C. Clark
Shawn Colvin
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Karl Denson
The Derailers
Durden Family Singers
Eyes Adrift
Eric Johnson/Alien Love Child
Faithful Gospel Stars
Ruthie Foster
David Garza
G. Love & Special Sauce
Gospel Stars
The Gourds
Jon Dee Graham
Pat Green
Patty Griffin
Grupo Fantasma
Emmylou Harris
Caroline Herring
The Jayhawks
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe
Kevin McKinney
Li'l Cap'n Travis
Los Lobos
Luna
James McMurtry
Mighty Sincere Voices of Navasota
Ramsey Midwood
Monte Montgomery
Abra Moore
Allison Moorer
The New Deal
Nickel Creek
Olospo
Original Bells of Joy
Particle, Patrice Pike & The Black Box
Pauline Reese
Robert Randolph
Rebellion
Rebirth Brass Band
Reckless Kelly
Rana
Bob Schneider
Soulive
Sound Tribe Sector 9
South Austin Jug Band
Spacetruck
The String Cheese Incident
Topaz
Weary Boys
Gillian Welch
Kelly Willis
Wilco

original ACL line up. plenty of country singers.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM

And plenty of alt-rock. Pop. Indy-rock, Tejano.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:30 PM

32 posts, read 62,550 times
IMO it does not have a country feel in Austin proper and coming from someone originally from the northeast. With that said, head ~30-45 mins out and you get that country feeling. To me, it's still not quite the round em' cowboy type that you'd expect unless you are out in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

And with all of that said, the country folk I've come across have always been very friendly and welcoming so I don't think it's a negative thing to even be worried about! Be friendly and open minded and it will generally be reciprocated anywhere you go in the world!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM

202 posts, read 352,975 times
Austin City Limits is originally a PBS show, which is what sparked ACL festival. Obviously it's much different but ACL was the inspiration. I guess I spoke incorrectly but country is what inspired it.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
As someone from the Northeast, I think it definitely has a country feel. But that probably all depends on where you are coming from. For me, it seems pretty country, but someone from elsewhere may think it doesn't.

As far as the heat goes, it sucks. Nothing you can do about that.

I will also say that I really don't think Austin and Portland are very much alike. I know they get compared a lot because demographically, they are very similar. But I think they have a very different feel from each other. Just my impression. Not to mention the topography and weather are light years apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin