Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214 View Post
We are going to Dallas on our trip but something tells me it won't be a fit. Too big of a city. Nashville, Raleigh, Boise, Portland, Spokane, Cleveland are ALL on our list. We just happen to be coming to Texas for my workshop so we want to check out the area to even see if it's a fit for us.
Ooh, if you are looking at Nashville, check out Chattanooga too! Small city but nice amenities, great waterfront, great children's museum, scenic, just spent a weekend there. Affordable.

Edited to add: I DO live in central Austin and feel that Austin is also well on its way to becoming a city just for the rich. We have been here more than 25 years and thought we'd stay forever but that seems less and less likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,576,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214 View Post
We are going to Dallas on our trip but something tells me it won't be a fit. Too big of a city. Nashville, Raleigh, Boise, Portland, Spokane, Cleveland are ALL on our list. We just happen to be coming to Texas for my workshop so we want to check out the area to even see if it's a fit for us.
You will find a LOT more winter in virtually all of those cities compared to Austin. And you'll find a LOT more summer in Austin compared to ANY of those cities. Just a thought.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:44 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,055,404 times
First of all, same message I have posted to many lookers that inquire about "Austin". People here are weird about differentiating between Austin - the City of Austin - versus the Austin area. People who live in the City of Austin seem to hold very dearly to their identity as Austinites and don't want us suburban dwellers infringing on their special place in the universe.

So, looking at the greater metro area is a little different. There are a lot of areas that are still fairly reasonable to live and enjoy a pretty high quality of life if you are willing to be 30-45 minutes from something going on downtown. Our family moved here in 2014 and chose to live in northern suburbia due to cost of housing being affordable and a reasonable commute to the employment location. Most of the communities named already are northern burbs and will offer various versions of nice homes on small lots with HOA's dictating a standard of lawn care between the 6 foot privacy fences.

Clara gave good advice on areas to look at. I am personally a fan of old downtown Round Rock instead of downtown Austin for the rare occasion we are going out. I'm not young and cool though. Avoid commuting that involves crossing the river or through/around UT and by all means possible try to avoid I-35 whenever you can.

I also love October through May when it isn't hotter than the surface of the sun here. In lat July and August we try to leave to go someplace more bearable before the kids go back to school.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:36 AM

75 posts, read 81,235 times
If you do like the Mueller area, there's an affordable homes program for both buying and renting if you make below a certain amount.

Also, Dec. 6 from 4-8pm is Community Night at the Thinkery so you can get in for free.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM

43 posts, read 103,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Oh boy! Austin isn't really a low cost of living destination any more!

From Rent Jungle" "As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in Austin, TX is $1406 which is a 3.98% decrease from last year when the average rent was $1462 , and a 0.5% increase from last month when the average rent was $1399.

One bedroom apartments in Austin rent for $1229 a month on average (a 4.23% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $1562 (a 3.84% decrease from last year)."
And compare that to

As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in San Diego, CA is $2089 which is a 2.73% decrease from last year when the average rent was $2146 , and a 1.29% decrease from last month when the average rent was $2116.

One bedroom apartments in San Diego rent for $1782 a month on average (a 0.34% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $2237 (a 2.1% decrease from last year).

Odds are that a comparable apartment that the OP is living in now, similar type of area is going to be below $1400.

While it's not a huge difference, Austin is about $350 cheaper than San Diego.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,123,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Student View Post
And compare that to

As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in San Diego, CA is $2089 which is a 2.73% decrease from last year when the average rent was $2146 , and a 1.29% decrease from last month when the average rent was $2116.

One bedroom apartments in San Diego rent for $1782 a month on average (a 0.34% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $2237 (a 2.1% decrease from last year).

Odds are that a comparable apartment that the OP is living in now, similar type of area is going to be below $1400.

My god! I would hope Austin would still be a lower cost destination than San Diego! But the difference isn't as great as it once was and the OP has other places on her list of possibilities where the money will go MUCH farther than it will in Austin.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,576,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtaylor View Post
If you do like the Mueller area, there's an affordable homes program for both buying and renting if you make below a certain amount.

Guessing a lottery ticket would have better odds.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,791,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Student View Post
And compare that to

Which is about what the average family spends monthly on Tolls & AC/(heating) in CP or RR.

I like Austin. Have lived here 20+ years.

But I've also visited the OC & SD county twice a year for the past 25 years. (so i've had 40+ times to enjoy the weather of SD county or the OC vrs. Travis County.....20+ visits were scheduled logically in July or August).

Not sure I would recommend someone leave SD County in order to save $350 per month (by renting in Cedar Park/Round Rock vs. continuing to rent in SD County).

Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
My god! I would hope Austin would still be a lower cost destination than San Diego! But the difference isn't as great as it once was and the OP has other places on her list of possibilities where the money will go MUCH farther than it will in Austin.
Overall, San Diego isn't that expensive for California. Going north, the next large city in Orange County, Irvine is

Quote:
As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in Irvine, CA is $2266 which is a 4.1% decrease from last year when the average rent was $2359 , and a 0.09% increase from last month when the average rent was $2264.

One bedroom apartments in Irvine rent for $1951 a month on average (a 1.44% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $2497 (a 1.72% decrease from last year).
Then you go to a typical Bay Area city, I'll pick my hometown of Fremont

Quote:
As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in Fremont, CA is $2368 which is a 0.08% increase from last year when the average rent was $2366 , and a 2.03% decrease from last month when the average rent was $2416.

One bedroom apartments in Fremont rent for $2150 a month on average (a 0.74% increase from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $2554 (a 1.41% increase from last year).
San Jose

Quote:
As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in San Jose, CA is $2786 which is a 2.73% decrease from last year when the average rent was $2862 , and a 1.15% decrease from last month when the average rent was $2818.

One bedroom apartments in San Jose rent for $2475 a month on average (a 1.17% decrease from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $3005 (a 2.33% decrease from last year).
That's how asinine California is now.

BTW this thread is interesting to me as I'm also currently in San Diego and strongly considering a move to Austin.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Which is about what the average family spends monthly on Tolls & AC/(heating) in CP or RR.
You're making the assumption that they are currently paying $0 for AC/(heating).

I have no idea how common tolls are in Austin but I know that that gas is $1 cheaper.

Quote:
I like Austin. Have lived here 20+ years.

But I've also visited the OC & SD county twice a year for the past 25 years. (so i've had 40+ times to enjoy the weather of SD county or the OC vrs. Travis County.....20+ visits were scheduled logically in July or August).

Not sure I would recommend someone leave SD County in order to save $350 per month (by renting in Cedar Park/Round Rock vs. continuing to rent in SD County).
Absolutely, the weather in SoCal is great. But it comes with a cost.

But yes, overall the move from SD to Austin isn't that much of a cost savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin