Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM

15 posts, read 108,772 times

Advertisements

My neighbor has installed their pool pump and heater to the side of their house, which happens to be about 10-12 feet away from our house. We can hear the pump noise in our dining room, living room, and kitchen. It feels like we live next to a power station and is really unpleasant. I would like to have them put a cover over the pump and would even help pay for it. I have a question for anyone with experience in this area -- do pump covers even help with the noise? If I could cut the noise in half, it would be a big improvement.

Are there other things we could do to lessen the sound? Unfortunately, our wall that is next to the pump is a wall of windows.

Also, why do people attach pool pumps to the side of their home, instead of closer to the pool? I was shocked when they located it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

616 posts, read 854,348 times
ask your neighbor to go to Lowe's and get some of that wicker-style fencing that is easy to cut and put together, it mostly used for gardens... and ask them to build a small fance around the units to keep the sound down. I had the same issue and made that deal with my neighbor and he likes it too because it was annoying to him too.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, 512ATX. I'm about to approach my neighbor and would like to have a couple options to offer since I've seen in my research that pump covers can be expensive. The wicker-style fence might be a good alternative, especially if it can cut the noise.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,123 times
what kind of fence is between you? Perhaps landscaping would help absorb the noise?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:34 PM

That's a great idea, but unfortunately there's no room for decent landscaping. There's about five or so feet between our house and a wooden privacy fence. Then our neighbor's house (and pool pump) are another five feet or so on the other side of the privacy fence. If we planted anything, we wouldn't have enough room to get a lawn mower to our backyard.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,992 times
Have you spoken to your neighbor about it yet? I would probably start with that and I certainly wouldn't pay for a cover for their pool pump. If they aren't willing to work with you look into noise ordinances. I imagine there must be permits for installing this type of thing that should take noise into consideration.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM

I am going to talk with my neighbor soon. I've been researching noise ordinances. We live in Williamson County but have an Austin address. Williamson County doesn't have a noise ordinance, but Austin does.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyAustin View Post
That's a great idea, but unfortunately there's no room for decent landscaping. There's about five or so feet between our house and a wooden privacy fence. Then our neighbor's house (and pool pump) are another five feet or so on the other side of the privacy fence. If we planted anything, we wouldn't have enough room to get a lawn mower to our backyard.
You could plant something viney like Star Jasmine and train it to wires along the fence- that would be low-profile and help block the noise- plus it's pretty.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM

616 posts, read 854,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyAustin View Post
. The wicker-style fence might be a good alternative, especially if it can cut the noise.

and it looks good from the street. just have him treat it with some Thompson's Water Seal once a year to keep the wood protected and not dry out.(gray)

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
If you approach with the noise ordinance thing, from experience, talk more about the "night" time ordinance as those are lower than the day time ordinances. They might think they're in compliance during the day, but are they at night? To correct the levels at night, it will automatically help correct levels during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: