Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 19,772 times

Advertisements

Per my username I'm looking to get the hell out of this place. Florida has become the trash receptacle of the United States, with Oregon a close second, and it seems the politics will make this place worse in about 2 years or so. I plan to leave this place way before that.

I love the fact that Google Fiber is available, pro good guy gun rights of TX, and I plan to attend the Chabad at Venado Drive by Mesa Oaks area. I'd like to know what places would be best to live in Austin and what places to avoid. I don't mind paying 1K and up for a 2/2 since I plan to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:28 AM

436 posts, read 570,974 times
Safe zone? This is Austin, not Baltimore.

But you might be more comfortable in one of the smaller more rural towns in the areas outside of Austin, it sounds like they might mesh with you more.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Google fiber isn’t available in all of Austin. Check the coverage map before making any decisions. Also the search feature is a great tool. And safe zones, generally include all schools, hospitals, churches, marriages, funerals and protests. (It was immigration humor).

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
FYI:

Google Fiber is not available everywhere in Austin only in certain places -- mostly south of the river and east of MoPac.

Average rent in Austin (within a 10 mile range) for a 2/2 is $1551.

Most everywhere in Austin is safe when it comes to your person, property crimes are common, lock your car, don't leave valuables visable.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
What do you specifically mean, "safe"?

What characteristics, specifically, make Oregon and Florida a big "trash receptacle"?

I'm concerned you'll find those qualities in Austin, whatever it is you're referring to.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
I’m trying to figure out what Florida and Oregon have in common to make them both trash receptacles.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I’m trying to figure out what Florida and Oregon have in common to make them both trash receptacles.
I'm waiting for an answer on that one myself. And my guess is, whatever that is, would describe Austin.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM

668 posts, read 784,168 times
If you want to attend Chabad in Northwest Hills (and want to be in Austin's only sorta-Jewborhood) you should stay looking at apartments in 78731. That's where our kosher HEB is and the locus of most area synagogues. The Jewish community here is not huge but it is vibrant and diverse.

I suspect, however, that you may not like Austin if you are insinuating it is a liberal mindset that's making Florida and Oregon "trash receptacles." Perhaps that is not what you meant.

Not too many Jews in the smaller, rural towns outside of Austin, RunninJT, but that's otherwise an excellent suggestion.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Refugee View Post
Per my username I'm looking to get the hell out of this place. Florida has become the trash receptacle of the United States, with Oregon a close second, and it seems the politics will make this place worse in about 2 years or so. I plan to leave this place way before that.

I love the fact that Google Fiber is available, pro good guy gun rights of TX, and I plan to attend the Chabad at Venado Drive by Mesa Oaks area. I'd like to know what places would be best to live in Austin and what places to avoid. I don't mind paying 1K and up for a 2/2 since I plan to rent.
Austin is the most liberal and expensive city in Texas. Google Fiber is available in far fewer places than where it is not available. Their initial push was to place it in lower socioeconomic areas, which you may consider "trash receptacles." I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to expand. There are neighborhoods that were literally wired for it years ago and they still aren't even taking names. The Chabad Center is nowhere near any Google Fiber areas and is among the most expensive areas of Austin (Although the closest thing you'll find to a Jewish area here. Our Jewish population is small.) I'd suggest you do a whole lot more research on Austin before you fixate on it. We have a whole lot more in common with Portland than you'll likely feel comfortable with.

PS Austin is also pitbull friendly. Cross it off your list like you did Spokane for its "retard pitbull supporters."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida-Refugee View Post
You know I've been looking into Spokane because I had no idea where else to go in WA, while looking into business opportunities, but after seeing the complete retards who support pits I'm going to look elsewhere. Everyone should use pitbulls as a litmus test since everyone that supports them in spite of the truth is a certified ****ing retard. I question their judgement as it is and avoid associating with them. Judging from the comment thread it seems Spokane has been flooded with more stupid people recently as unfortunate as it is.

I completely understand now why California priced out all the stupid people and made them flock to other states. Stuff like that, along with various elements of stupidity that are starting to take hold in the NW, are making me consider a red state.

Last edited by A-Tex; 04-02-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Ugh...Austin needs one of these people like I'd need a root canal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin