Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 PM

60 posts, read 66,611 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have recent (within 5 years) experience with any of those private high schools? My son is in 8th grade at St. Francis School, which we wish had a high school, but does not, so we either have to find a fitting private school he can get into, or find a fitting public school for him (which would require a move).

I know Kirby Hall has had issues in the past, but that there has been an administration change & things may be different now. I'm also aware that Headwaters (formerly Khabele) has changed a lot, too. I'm interested in them both. Anyone have experiences there they would like to share? Does the Griffin School mainly want artistic types? Any information would be very welcome.

My son has thrived in St. Francis's nurturing environment with small classes, positive values, and traditional academics. I'd like to find something similar in a private high school. Nothing mega-competetive. He can't compete at elite academic levels, but with effort he's been an A & B student at St. Francis. Basically, he just needs to be well prepared for college.

Thanks in advance, in case anyone can help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
I can't speak to Kirby Hall, it went through a huge shakeup about 10 years ago and a bunch of families left and there was drama on Greatschools (a complete "grab the popcorn" type of thing for those not directly involved) and as the years have passed I have heard less and less about it. But it is still out there and an option.

You should visit both schools, I know Griffin has a regular series of fall Open Houses and I'm sure Headwaters does to, I know families with one kid at Griffin and another sibling at Headwaters! Only you will know which one is a fit! Khabele was not a fit for our family but that was "back in the day" and the entire place has changed now. Definitely visit. I'm not a fan of Headwater's whole "guides" instead of teachers, schtich, but that is just me.

All type of kids thrives at Griffin not just sterotypical arty kids (in fact, for anyone seeking an arts-based education would do better at McCallum Fine Arts Academy). The Head of Griffin School was himself a St Francis parent for many years and many St Francis kids do well at Griffin.

Start with the websites if you haven't checked them out:
https://griffinschool.org/

https://www.headwaters.org/page/high-school

But you and your child MUST visit! If you have an 8th grader, the time is NOW!

Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 PM

60 posts, read 66,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I can't speak to Kirby Hall, it went through a huge shakeup about 10 years ago and a bunch of families left and there was drama on Greatschools (a complete "grab the popcorn" type of thing for those not directly involved) and as the years have passed I have heard less and less about it. But it is still out there and an option.

You should visit both schools, I know Griffin has a regular series of fall Open Houses and I'm sure Headwaters does to, I know families with one kid at Griffin and another sibling at Headwaters! Only you will know which one is a fit! Khabele was not a fit for our family but that was "back in the day" and the entire place has changed now. Definitely visit. I'm not a fan of Headwater's whole "guides" instead of teachers, schtich, but that is just me.

All type of kids thrives at Griffin not just sterotypical arty kids (in fact, for anyone seeking an arts-based education would do better at McCallum Fine Arts Academy). The Head of Griffin School was himself a St Francis parent for many years and many St Francis kids do well at Griffin.

Start with the websites if you haven't checked them out:
https://griffinschool.org/

https://www.headwaters.org/page/high-school

But you and your child MUST visit! If you have an 8th grader, the time is NOW!
Thanks for the info. I contacted Kirby Hall and Griffin today to get the wheels moving for me to visit, and later, for my son to visit if I like what I see. Griffin looks great, and I think Kirby Hall has potential, too. I'm aware of mixed reviews & past drama about Kirby, but the right school really is about finding the right fit, and if Kirby is the right fit for my son, that would be great. I don't care about the past. I'm also an experienced teacher and therefore know that all schools, even the "best", have strengths & weaknesses.

I think I'm going to give Headwaters a pass because upon further inspection it does seem a bit too loosey-goosey for us. My son is an old school type of learner who would want a teacher, not a "guide", and I myself am not overly enamored of discovery learning in lieu of direct instruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin