Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykme20 View Post
Yep, I know about that. Unfortunately, this is where most of the game companies are at. Is Austin as blue as say NJ or Cali?
There is, quite literally, no greater mistake that you can make than continuing to label people in a binary fashion.

Austin is Austin. Most of it is pretty dang green - although this time of year some stuff does go dormant so it turns kind of brown.

Not sure about NJ, but the part that I visited was pretty grey. Cali is in ****ing Colombia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 AM

17 posts, read 16,177 times
That's exactly why I want to leave the blue States. Like in NJ, I can't spend a whole day without hearing people bashing conservatives. In addition, throughout college, I felt like I was only being taught liberal politics, and that's about it. I'm usually the guy that will talk about politics, only if the other person brings it up.

What I hope is just some relative peace & quiet.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
There is, quite literally, no greater mistake that you can make than continuing to label people in a binary fashion.

Austin is Austin. Most of it is pretty dang green - although this time of year some stuff does go dormant so it turns kind of brown.

Not sure about NJ, but the part that I visited was pretty grey. Cali is in ****ing Colombia.
Well, you learn something new every day, I guess what I want to say is that I'm hoping for a more different culture or attitude.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:02 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Have you been to Austin before?! Or are you basing this move purely on "most gaming companies are based in Austin so I'll move there"?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:46 AM

Mostly the latter.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:33 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Austin is as liberal as parts of California. If you want red areas, go up to Williamson County. Round Rock, Georgetown, and Pflugerville are all very conservative areas.

Austin is getting bluer by the minute. Even my precinct, in Steiner, was red for a long time but finally flipped to light blue in 2016. I'm more apt to find a Hispanic or Asian/Indian American Democrat in Steiner as I am to find a white Texan Republican. 10 years ago was the reverse.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM

I guess it's because Austin is famous for its college. And most colleges these days teach politics, rather than actual education. At least that was my experience, I just need to be in a place with people of the same mind. I'm getting tired of hiding my beliefs, or when they come out people give me the "how dare you?" Speech.

In addition to that, I like the heat and the summer in general. Winter just means broken backs to me.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:28 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
*shrug* Austin people generally won't put up with you being a complete asshat, but I can't recall anyone every giving/getting 'the speech'. I actually have had some good discussions with a co-worker that is on the other end of the political spectrum on most things but is a super nice/smart guy.

And all along the political spectrum, I know many nice people and get along with most of them. Even the people that seem to be extreme one way or the other are really moderates on many issues, even if they don't realize it. They are mostly old enough, though, to not have grown up with the 'agree with me completely on everything or your are evil!' dynamic that pervades everything today....or so it seems.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykme20 View Post
I guess it's because Austin is famous for its college. And most colleges these days teach politics, rather than actual education. At least that was my experience, I just need to be in a place with people of the same mind. I'm getting tired of hiding my beliefs, or when they come out people give me the "how dare you?" Speech.

In addition to that, I like the heat and the summer in general. Winter just means broken backs to me.

Actually no. Travis county voted against secession before the Civil War, in fact the map of counties that voted against secession almost perfectly matches the map of counties that voted for Obama. It has to do with migration patterns, land use patterns, soil conditions, and availability of labor as well as philosophy. And more persists from the 1860s than you might think.

You might do well here, hard to know. Where ever you go, you will bring yourself with you. Most folks I know who work in the Austin gaming industry are way more liberal than me and I'm a pretty blue central Austin resident. The ones I know who run/own companies in the industry are even more liberal than that!

Texas ain't New Jersey though, that is for sure! good luck!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Well despite me being an asshat, I live by NYC, and that is from my own experiences. Your experiences may differ than mine, but that's what I experienced. Either way, I appreciate the feedback and knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin