Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:07 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykme20 View Post
Hmm I guess, I can see how it is in the summer. Though if the weather is anything like how it is in Egypt. Then it shouldn't be a problem.
It’s not like Egypt at all. In 2011, we had a low of 7 degrees and a high of 113 with no rain all year.

2017 and this year? Floods and humid as heck.

The weather really won’t be what gets you. Your challenge will be that it’s quite a bit more progressive than you’re expecting, wages are repressed because of the sheer quantity of talent that UT generates and COL is high (although not nearly as high as NJ).

From a social aspect, you’re also going to be an outlier and likely encounter a bunch of jaded souls such as Ms. Ashbeeigh.

Personally, I would not want to be in my early 20’s in today’s Austin - and it pains me to say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 16,174 times
Hmm, so what would you recommend to say a traditional guy in his early 20s. If I should live in a place around Texas, where should I go?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It sems to me that Austin is more of a liberterian city slanting to the left about 12 to 15 degrees. You should be ok in Austin as a right wing conservative as long your not one of those who shove their politics down people's throats, which can be just as annoying and off-putting as a bill collector or an overly religous self-righteous person shoving his religion down people's throats. If you're a person who loves to talk politics, it won't be long until when people see you coming they will turn around and go the other way or all of a sudden they will get busy and can't talk. If that's how you are, you'll be considered a nuisance, a mennace and a pest by many people. But if you keep your politics low key, you should be ok in Austin.

If being around other mostly like-minded conservative is your number 1 priority issue, you would be much happier in an Austin suburb instead of inside Austin city limits. Georgetown, Round Rock, Lakeway, Cedar Park, Westlake, Dripping Springs, Buda, Kyle, Lochhart, Bastrop. There's no shortage of right wing conservatives in any of those towns.

And this applies whatever color your politics are. Basically, what matters most to folks in Austin (and Texas in general, really) is are you a good neighbor? Usually outside of signs or venues specifically for politics you won't even know the politics of your neighbors (though this election cycle may have stretched that one). But it's considered absolutely rude to, unasked, go on about your politics.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Hmm, so what would you recommend to say a traditional guy in his early 20s. If I should live in a place around Texas, where should I go?
Dallas. Or not Texas.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:32 PM

11 posts, read 23,636 times
Hi, ykme20, fellow republican,

My initial reaction to your post is - get yourself on down here to Austin, as quick as you can!

In reading through the previous replies, my reaction is still the same, but I’ll add - ignore the negative comments.

I’ve lived in Austin my entire adult life and while the political reputation of the city makes me roll my eyes, it doesn’t affect my daily life. There are plenty of like minded conservative Christians around here, even right inside the city limits. Someone suggested joining the Young Republicans - I second that idea. Also, make sure to choose your roommates based on your own values. You won’t have a problem finding good ones. I cringe when I think about having to live with a loud mouthed bleeding heart liberal. Don’t subject yourself to that. Ha! (Side note - I have posted on here about my husband and I looking to retire to some acreage in Tennessee, mainly for financial reasons, cost of living, low property taxes, etc), but I have also mentioned it is to get away from the liberal lunacy here in Austin. If I were a young, non-land owning person, I would be fine with us staying here. Don’t let the liberals scare you off. ��).

As far as finding a nice/safe apartment complex (not that you, asked, just my two cents), it used to be unwise to live southeast of downtown, the Riverside Drive area. However, with gentrification, that area has greatly improved. Lots of UT students, though, so if you’re looking for more of an adult atmosphere, and less of a party atmosphere, look elsewhere. You probably won’t be able to afford to live downtown/near UT, but you probably won’t be working down there, either. I would suggest looking northwest, out along highway 183 toward Cedar Park, or straight north up to Pflugerville and Rock Rock. Lots of tech companies out that way, and plenty of other businesses, retail, restaurants and such.

More unsolicited advice - I think if I was in my 20’s and in need of an interim job, before finding my first “real” job, I’d apply at HEB, our main grocery chain in Texas. They employ thousands of people here and the people I’ve known that have worked there over the years were very happy. HEB is good to their employees, to my knowledge.

My children are in their 20’s and 30’s and love it here. Austin is booming, it has been booming for a long time, and it will continue to boom. For young people, especially, there’s a great energy here. My son is 28 and has been a software engineer since the day he walked away from college. There was no interim job needed before he started his “real” job. He is currently looking to make a move to a different company, and he is getting plenty of interviews and offers, all in the Austin area, despite the fact that he never actually got his degree.

The weather is hot in the summer. Duh. That’s what air conditioning and swimming pools are for. Move to Austin and you will never again shovel snow or drive in a blizzard! This time of year is especially pleasant. It’s about 75 right now, sunny, breezy, no humidity. All my windows are open. How’s the weather in NJ?

I have conservative friends in NJ - they are dying to get out of there!

Someone mentioned the Beto signs everywhere in Austin. So what? The Cruz team determined that spending a fortune on yard signs is an unwise way to spend money. The Beto signs dominate some neighborhoods in other Texas cities, too, but go to the outskirts of town or to smaller cities and towns - you won’t see any. Whew.

Good luck to you - and a premature welcome to Austin. Get here as quick as you can, please. We need young conservative people and we certainly welcome your vote! ��

Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pameladeville View Post
Hi, ykme20, fellow republican,

My initial reaction to your post is - get yourself on down here to Austin, as quick as you can!

In reading through the previous replies, my reaction is still the same, but I’ll add - ignore the negative comments.

I’ve lived in Austin my entire adult life and while the political reputation of the city makes me roll my eyes, it doesn’t affect my daily life. There are plenty of like minded conservative Christians around here, even right inside the city limits. Someone suggested joining the Young Republicans - I second that idea. Also, make sure to choose your roommates based on your own values. You won’t have a problem finding good ones. I cringe when I think about having to live with a loud mouthed bleeding heart liberal. Don’t subject yourself to that. Ha! (Side note - I have posted on here about my husband and I looking to retire to some acreage in Tennessee, mainly for financial reasons, cost of living, low property taxes, etc), but I have also mentioned it is to get away from the liberal lunacy here in Austin. If I were a young, non-land owning person, I would be fine with us staying here. Don’t let the liberals scare you off. ��).

As far as finding a nice/safe apartment complex (not that you, asked, just my two cents), it used to be unwise to live southeast of downtown, the Riverside Drive area. However, with gentrification, that area has greatly improved. Lots of UT students, though, so if you’re looking for more of an adult atmosphere and less of a party atmosphere, look elsewhere. You probably won’t be able to afford to live downtown/near UT, but you probably won’t be working down there, either. I would suggest looking northwest, out along highway 183 toward Cedar Park, or straight north up to Pflugerville and Rock Rock. Lots of tech companies out that way, and plenty of other businesses, retail, restaurants and such.

More unsolicited advice - I think if I was in my 20’s and in need of an interim job, before finding my first “real” job, I’d apply at HEB, our main grocery chain in Texas. They employ thousands of people here and the people I’ve known that have worked there over the years were very happy. HEB is good to their employees, to my knowledge.

My children are in their 20’s and 30’s and love it here. Austin is booming, it has been booming for a long time, and it will continue to boom. For young people, especially, there’s a great energy here. My son is 28 and has been a software engineer since the day he walked away from college. There was no interim job needed before he started his “real” job. He is currently looking to make a move to a different company, and he is getting plenty of interviews and offers, all in the Austin area, despite the fact that he never actually got his degree.

The weather is hot in the summer. Duh. That’s what air conditioning and swimming pools are for. Move to Austin and you will never again shovel snow or drive in a blizzard! This time of year is especially pleasant. It’s about 75 right now, sunny, breezy, no humidity. All my windows are open. How’s the weather in NJ?

I have conservative friends in NJ - they are dying to get out of there!

Someone mentioned the Beto signs everywhere in Austin. So what? The Cruz team determined that spending a fortune on yard signs is an unwise way to spend money. The Beto signs dominate some neighborhoods in other Texas cities, too, but go to the outskirts of town or to smaller cities and towns - you won’t see any. Whew.

Good luck to you - and a premature welcome to Austin. Get here as quick as you can, please. We need young conservative people and we certainly welcome your vote! ��
I'll keep that in mind, and thanks I'm gonna try and avoid the downtown areas. So far I have a good resume with healthcare systems, so I might end up doing just that again. While looking for video game companies to work for. I'll sell my car here while getting a new one in Texas, I'll only buy a new one when I get a job there. I did find places to rent now, but I'll have to look for them again in January and see if there are any better ones.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
I'll keep that in mind, and thanks I'm gonna try and avoid the downtown areas. So far I have a good resume with healthcare systems, so I might end up doing just that again. While looking for video game companies to work for. I'll sell my car here while getting a new one in Texas, I'll only buy a new one when I get a job there. I did find places to rent now, but I'll have to look for them again in January and see if there are any better ones.
Many of our rentals are available in January and August. We are big on the semester schedule and things get hot in those time periods. During summer times there are many people looking for something temporary for the summer. I was trying to sublease my apartment in March/April this year and all I was able to find online was people looking for things for the few months of the summer. At the end of the day, I found a friend of a friend to take over the lease.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 11-03-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 02:29 PM

Alright that settles it, I'll finish my contract with my company, spend Christmas with my folks before heading there.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:02 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
I'm a recent graduate without any loans, and I'm currently working as a contractor for my current job as IT. However, I can't stand living in NJ anymore, and also my politics has changed drastically since HS (used to be left leaning, now I identify as a republican). I want to move to Austin specifically for my career in game development.

This is what I have studied in College, and I want to pursue my career, and enhance my portfolio. Though, I'm going to get any job that I can hang on to, and wait until I can get my foot in the door in the game industry. I know, that Cali has a lot of opportunities, I can't stand working there, cause it'll be like living in NJ.

So do you think, that 10,000$ is enough for me to survive without a job for 3 months?
If you’re conservative, why don’t you live in Ft Worth? It’s the most conservative of the big Texas cities.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:45 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If you’re conservative, why don’t you live in Ft Worth? It’s the most conservative of the big Texas cities.
His job market would be terrible.

He’ll have to decide if he can stand opposing opinions in the search of a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin