Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,576 times

Advertisements

Houston TX Over 65 Exemption where husband and wife are listed as owner on the Deed

THREE QUESTIONS:
------------------
Do BOTH spouse have to be 65 to receive 100% "Over 65 Exemption"????
Do BOTH spouse fill out form 11.13 with each specifying 50% ownership (both spouse turn 65)????
Or do we simply fill out ONE form specifying 100%

A FEW FACTS:
--------------
- We are married (husband and wife)
- Both of us own the house 50/50 (texas law)
- Both of our names are on the deed/title of house (Tom & Jane Doe)
- We both turn 65 this year 2019
- We both live there

REMARKS:
----------
- I do NOT suspect you get FULL 100% "65 Over Exemption" if only one spouse turns 65 for a given year??
- I suspect both of us fill out the form saying ownership 50% each???? (we both turn 65)
- Then when tax time comes around in January they will see 50% and another 50% for the
over-65 exemption which will equal 100% ???

Last edited by Trapez; 01-05-2019 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: delete this...wrong city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 01:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
When the first spouse turns 65 you can get the full exemption. You BOTH own 100% of the house, Texas being a community property state.

I know this not just as a real estate agent, but as someone over 65 whose husband turned 65 the year before I did. So personal experience.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,576 times
Thanks! Ill fill out the form with the spouse claiming 100% of ownership leaving me out completely and see what they say ... ill also double check by calling their number (713) 957-7800. Ill report back the good the bad and the ugly

But for some reason i thought the spouse marriage thing in TX was 50/50.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapez View Post
Thanks! Ill fill out the form with the spouse claiming 100% of ownership leaving me out completely and see what they say ... ill also double check by calling their number (713) 957-7800. Ill report back the good the bad and the ugly

But for some reason i thought the spouse marriage thing in TX was 50/50.

It's community property, which means you both own it and you are treated as a single entity. Sort of like the IRS when you file jointly.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's community property, which means you both own it and you are treated as a single entity. Sort of like the IRS when you file jointly.
If one person in the marriage owned the house entirely before getting married, then the house does not automatically become community property. Not based on my experience, but on a siblings . In any case, THL is correct, only one of you needs to be 65.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:52 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Allow me to slightly thread-jack with a related question: We had an Over-65 exemption at our house for a few years. We sold it this past year, and moved into a condo. I will re-apply for the Homestead and Over-65 this month, now that the filing period is open.

I had heard that there is a carry-over amount allowed for the Over-65 exemption. Some of the savings you were already getting, or maybe the amount frozen(?), is passed on to your new residence?

Has anyone heard of this? Does my question even make sense? I will confess to not being real familiar with the details of the Over-65 exemption, so I'm not sure what I'm asking.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
If one person in the marriage owned the house entirely before getting married, then the house does not automatically become community property. Not based on my experience, but on a siblings . In any case, THL is correct, only one of you needs to be 65.

This is true IF absolutely none of the other spouse's funds/income go towards payments on/maintenance of the house. Something that my mother and her second husband's attorneys made VERY clear when they married (both had grown children and grandchildren and inheritance was a factor). They ended up keeping separate bank accounts and paying for their own expenses as they had before getting married just to make sure there was no confusion about that as he owned the house they ultimately lived in and she owned land that she had inherited from my father that had been in the family since the 1800's and both wanted to make sure it went to their children with no community property conflicts (up until retirement they lived in parsonages so it wasn't an issue but he owned the house already).

Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Allow me to slightly thread-jack with a related question: We had an Over-65 exemption at our house for a few years. We sold it this past year, and moved into a condo. I will re-apply for the Homestead and Over-65 this month, now that the filing period is open.

I had heard that there is a carry-over amount allowed for the Over-65 exemption. Some of the savings you were already getting, or maybe the amount frozen(?), is passed on to your new residence?

Has anyone heard of this? Does my question even make sense? I will confess to not being real familiar with the details of the Over-65 exemption, so I'm not sure what I'm asking.

Thanks.

The way it was explained to me was that if a senior is in a property where a potion of the taxes (school?) have been frozen for a period of time and then sells that property and purchases a new property from another senior whose taxes have also been frozen, they 'inherit' the same frozen rate. If they purchase a new property from a non-senior, they start over with current-day rates, a portion of which are then frozen going forward.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:19 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
The way it was explained to me was that if a senior is in a property where a potion of the taxes (school?) have been frozen for a period of time and then sells that property and purchases a new property from another senior whose taxes have also been frozen, they 'inherit' the same frozen rate. If they purchase a new property from a non-senior, they start over with current-day rates, a portion of which are then frozen going forward.
Thanks, good info. I have scoured the HCAD site, and can't find anything. I'm going to call them today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: