Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe the main issue (that may be coming to Austin in general) is alot of out of state drivers from much larger cities where this kind of aggression is pretty normal and where it is understood the left lane is for passing on both surface and interstate-grade roads are meeting more laid back locals who have lived here for some time before Austin really became a large city and the mix is causing conflicts. Locals seem to want Austin to remain laid back, out-of-state drivers seem to be baffled by this behavior in general.

From most of the states I've driven in, It is heavily condemned to use the left lane unless you are passing traffic both on surface roads and also freeways. While it may be within legalities, obstructing the flow of traffic can flare road rage situations to a decree where exceptions may be made within those legalities.

In Atlanta, the speed limit on I-285 used to be 55 MPH - where within the last decade it was increased to 65 MPH due to a mix of people trying to do 55 in the left lanes and accidents resulting from such. These students here conducted an expirement in attempt to hold traffic to 55 MPH (the posted speed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoETMCosULQ

They were heavily fined afterward, even though they were within their legal rights, as although it was 'legal' it posed a potentially dangerous situation.

You can't control how people drive around you, best thing to do is move out of their way if they want to go faster. I personally value my vehicular property and try my best to stay out of dodge of morons on the road. If you flare the wrong person, they may go to the extreme...I've had and seen that happen.
If the kids in that video were doing that on a road with a lot of stoplights like 360, no one would notice much. They’d actually be helping out traffic a lot, assuming the signals are timed correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have said it before, will say it again - I will stay out of the left-most lane as long as it makes sense. I will NOT move to the right IF the traffic to the right is going much slower than me and I am going the speed limit or greater myself, unless I can do so briefly and then re-enter the left lane.

What I will not do is move to the right and force myself to slow down to that right lane traffic (and maybe get 'stuck' over there) just so some driver can zoom ahead to the next bumper a few car lengths in front of me.

The situations where there is a left lane driver driving the same speed or slower than the right lane traffic AND an open highway in front of them is almost nonexistent nowadays. People that think that is a common occurrence have tunnel vision.

This. Since getting involved in these discussions here some years back I have made a point of observing traffic, and you are absolutely, completely correct. The Need for Speed that some have clouds their perceptions of what is actually happening on the roads if someone, anyone, at any speed, is in front of them, especially if it's in THEIR lane.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
You can drive in the left lane everywhere but highways where noted for passing only. Otherwise you have to deal with idiots that think they are better than you and should get to their destination before you get to yours.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
On a positive note, speaking of the left lane on 360... The new left lane from north of Walsh Tarleton to S. Mopac has made a HUGE improvement in transit times south of Lost Creek. It seemed like they didn't have to do much, either. Would be great if they could make incremental improvements like that further north, but it seems they are moving on their long-term plan to remove stoplights instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: