Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:37 PM

10 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

Hello folks, we are a family of 4 just moved from out of state to Austin area for about 6 months. We are seeking for some suggestions from the area experts where to find our permanent home.

Some searching criteria:
1. Prefer newer homes (built in year 2000+) with 4 beds
2. Proximity to major roadways so I don't spent too much time commuting. My work is in East Austin (US-183 S @ FM-969), but I usually leave before 7am and back around 4pm. So it's slightly off rush hour. <40 mins one-way is acceptable.
3. Master planned communities are fine, actually they are preferred due to more modern design and layouts.
4. Decent schools. No need to be top-rated though, kids are still young (3 & 1.5) so it's not too urgent.
5. Budget: ideally < 600K, but can stretch a bit to maybe 650K.

We currently live in Pflugerville near SH-45@SH-130. Commute is not bad (~25 min each way) and the area are decent. The only concern is that we have to take toll roads for nearly every single trip. Also property taxes are relatively higher (~3-3.5%) in the area.

We are also considering Cedar Park/Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek/Round Rock. Any other suggestion/recommendation or something else we should be looking at? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
I personally despise 35 at pretty much any time of the day. I would avoid round rock for that reason.

I like avery ranch as it has easy access to mopac which is the best of the N/S roads. It does back up, but I think it mainly backs up after 183.

My parents live in parkside which is very quick access to mopac (but a toll).

For long term value at some point the big ranch will be developed into thousands of homes. During this time it will put downward pressure on the homes north of there.

A lot of the neighborhoods on mopac like scofield ridge, balcones woods, etc are older and have smaller homes, but they are still great neighborhoods.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 PM

We like Avery Ranch for the same reasons, [45+Mopac] for ~$2.5 still cheaper than I pay now [130+290]. For the past few months we've been seeing houses in Avery Ranch either go pending within days or stay for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
For long term value at some point the big ranch will be developed into thousands of homes. During this time it will put downward pressure on the homes north of there.
Are you talking about Robinson Ranch? Yeah but there doesn't seem to have any activity in the near future, and we just can't wait for now

We will look into other neighborhoods you mentioned, thanks!

Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 34,247 times
We live in Mueller and absolutely love it. Master planned community with parks, trails and close to almost everything.

My kids are older than yours and attend magnet middle and high schools in the area.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:50 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Mueller would be a good option here if you are okay with a smaller yard. I’m unsure of any other bears le commutes in even moderately okay schools. Agave off if MLK maybe? But the schools there are rough.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Mueller would be a good option here if you are okay with a smaller yard. I’m unsure of any other bears le commutes in even moderately okay schools. Agave off if MLK maybe? But the schools there are rough.
Mueller homes seem to be fairly expensive compared to the north. But yeah will also keep an eye on that area.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
I'm not exactly sure how the patterns are different for the inverse, but I used to live in the area where you work and commuted up to Parmer/45. It was 20 minutes in the morning and 40 in the evening. Avery Ranch and southern Cedar Park are your best bets.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Actually that area of pflugerville is very nice and increasing in value year over year. There’s lots of retail options nearby, including torchys, Costco, aldi...low crime and good schools.

You don’t need to use the toll road everywhere. We live just north of that area in round rock and we only use it to go to work.

Property taxes are high yes but purchase prices are lower. For 400k (base without options) you’d get a new home with amenities. Our friend paid more for his Blackhawk home but it’s very nice and loaded with lots of options.

Since you’re already on the east side pflugerville shouldn’t be written off your list in my opinion

Old 01-08-2020, 08:48 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaanyang View Post
Mueller homes seem to be fairly expensive compared to the north. But yeah will also keep an eye on that area.
Keep an eye on 'em and move fast if that's an area you like. I subscribe to a "secret market" e-mail just because I love the area and they go within 2 weeks usually. But, if a house is nice, it'll go super fast no matter what in Austin. My parents are trying to move to San Marcos from San Antonio and my father is very non-chalant about his search and I keep pressing him to move on things the second he sees them and he's missed out on a lot of great properties for that reason.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm not exactly sure how the patterns are different for the inverse, but I used to live in the area where you work and commuted up to Parmer/45. It was 20 minutes in the morning and 40 in the evening. Avery Ranch and southern Cedar Park are your best bets.
We stayed in an apartment unit near Lakeline Mall during the 1st month as part of my relocation package. Loved the area for its convenience and accessibility. Commute is 25 min morning and 40 evening. This is definitely one of our focus areas

We like Pearson Place at Avery Ranch and Highland Horizon subdivisions, since they are newer homes with excellent access to Mopac. But it rarely have new listings though.

Last edited by yaanyang; 01-08-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin