Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,650 times

Advertisements

As a single person looking to buy at under 270k, I'm looking at new builds in Del Valle. I know the area has been slow to develop and low-rated schools, but, with all the announcements of Tesla, Zoho, HEB, and a mixed-use development center in Del Valle, would it be good to buy there?

My main concern is just not wanting my property value to depreciate over the next few years or be difficult to sell if life changes. Appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 05:26 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
I’ve been driving out to Austin first church (just west of road road) and have wondered the same thing. I don’t think I’d buy out there until there’s a grocery store, myself; mostly because I need a grocery store.,I haven’t driven out that way pre-pandemic, but I know watching the traffic as I was heading north on 184 to airport, it looked pretty he’s y heading east. I don’t know if it’s as bad as 183 was pre toll road ir if there are plans to add more toll lanes, but I worry about that traffic as it grows.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,650 times
I heard that H-E-B is planning to start construction soon (to be done by Nov 2021), is that not true?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:07 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsyturvy1234 View Post
I heard that H-E-B is planning to start construction soon (to be done by Nov 2021), is that not true?
Your guess is as good as mine. I’m not up in Del Valle gossip outside of the bits I get when I go to my camp gladiator out there.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:28 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
I don't buy based on future speculation. Meaning I don't buy in marginal areas or areas that lack basic amenities RIGHT NOW. The area may be revitalized, it may not. The sad reality is (and I believe that's totally wrong btw) that as long as the area remains solidly lower income/working class there will be no development and don't kid yourself, that demographic is not going to be speedily pushed out as they were in East Austin. The Tesla workers may not want to live near the plant for many of the reasons that are well known. It is kinda farther out and I believe depends on 71. Airport noise. Nothing really to do.

Those mixed use things are like cockroaches - after the domain, it seems like they're popping up all over the place to varied success. And let's see if that planned development will actually take off the ground. The Leander one (lol) is still in the infancy stage.

Del Valle unfortunately is in the same quandary as Manor. It will probably be another ten plus years. Will it depreciate? Who's to say, probably not because it is so low.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:53 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't buy based on future speculation. Meaning I don't buy in marginal areas or areas that lack basic amenities RIGHT NOW. The area may be revitalized, it may not. The sad reality is (and I believe that's totally wrong btw) that as long as the area remains solidly lower income/working class there will be no development and don't kid yourself, that demographic is not going to be speedily pushed out as they were in East Austin. The Tesla workers may not want to live near the plant for many of the reasons that are well known. It is kinda farther out and I believe depends on 71. Airport noise. Nothing really to do.

Those mixed use things are like cockroaches - after the domain, it seems like they're popping up all over the place to varied success. And let's see if that planned development will actually take off the ground. The Leander one (lol) is still in the infancy stage.

Del Valle unfortunately is in the same quandary as Manor. It will probably be another ten plus years. Will it depreciate? Who's to say, probably not because it is so low.
I can't help but wonder how Domain is fairing against Covid-19. Ive only been out there maybe 4 times this year.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:05 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,067,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsyturvy1234 View Post
As a single person looking to buy at under 270k, I'm looking at new builds in Del Valle. I know the area has been slow to develop and low-rated schools, but, with all the announcements of Tesla, Zoho, HEB, and a mixed-use development center in Del Valle, would it be good to buy there?

My main concern is just not wanting my property value to depreciate over the next few years or be difficult to sell if life changes. Appreciate any insight.

If you plan to live in and hold the home 5+ years, go ahead and buy. There will always be demand for the lowest priced areas, and DV wil remain that forever due to bad schools and other structural issues. Meanwhile, if it improves while you are there, which I think it will, all the better.

Old 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
If you don't need good schools, it isn't a big risk, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin