Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 AM

19 posts, read 79,900 times

Advertisements

For those of you who moved without jobs, how did you secure an apartment? Most apartments that I've found require you to have a job that pays ~3x the rent, and also, without a job, you don't really know where to live. So, where did you live, if you don't really have any family/friends to stay with, and most people who craigslists' apartment/house sharing don't want couples, and it'll be my fiance and me.

Also, I am thinking about perhaps using a temp agency for a little while since I haven't been having the most luck in securing a job. I graduate in May and my problem is being overeducated (just got my Masters) and underexperienced (probably a year or less of experience in total). If I do a temp job, does that count in the apartment salary above?

I'm in San Antonio now, so it's not like I'm really far away, so I can drive for interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Most apartments are pretty casual (or used to be) about checking up on your income. I would list my grant/scholarship income, loan income, or previousl job income, or any that could possibly apply. Yes, temp. income could probaby count. Again, I was never required to bring in proof of income (back in the day), although I think once or twice I did have to bring in a bank statement showing that I had some balance. If you have any money in the bank at all, that should help a lot.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
We rented from Gables Great Hills in the Arboretum area without having jobs. They just asked for previous work history and told us to put "Looking for work" in the current employer area. They do a credit check, so as long as your credit history isn't bad, it doesn't seem like it's a big deal.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
You may need to start out with a roommate or private sublet from Craigslist. Or save up enough money to pay for several months up front.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM

45 posts, read 173,314 times
I don't think I would move without a job for at least you or your fiance. Since you are as close as San Antonio, start getting those resumes out and do some networking right now. The college you are graduating from should be able to help you make some contacts and help you figure it out. If nothing else, yes probably getting temp. working especially if it is for a couple of weeks or months might help you get your foot in the door and help you secure a place to live. What if you get a place and then your job is so far that you regret the location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin