Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 04:31 PM

73 posts, read 68,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well truthfully and honestly, while I am pro growth, I do think it is reckless to allow growth go unleashed completely ignoring environmental concerns. Houston is suffering the results of that with all of the flooding they have. Austin's probably won't be as extreme but uncontrolled sprawl won't come without consequence.
Well San Antonio and Austin have been ranked some of the top sprawling cities and cities where density is decreasing due to developers buildings homes way out of the city. I drove from SA to Castroville and saw so much new homes built and felt like it ended right before i got to Castroville. It is an environmental issue but Houston is much worse due to the land being so flat that the water has nowhere to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 PM

I started working in Wimberly between SA and Austin. I have noticed that both Austin and San Antonio both make their presence known in the town. You can see some people have cars they brought in San Antonio or Austin. People here drive to both towns frequently.

I know there's a lot of space left in between SA and Austin but its quickly filling in. There has been a lot of people talking about this issue and I feel that it does have some sense of becoming true. i35 between SA and Austin is a pain to drive and there's so much more houses and commercial properties being built. Once the suburbs near SA and Austin fill in, they will have to move to areas will fill in the gap between the two metros.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:23 PM

3,890 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoSaldana4 View Post
I started working in Wimberly between SA and Austin. I have noticed that both Austin and San Antonio both make their presence known in the town. You can see some people have cars they brought in San Antonio or Austin. People here drive to both towns frequently.

I know there's a lot of space left in between SA and Austin but its quickly filling in. There has been a lot of people talking about this issue and I feel that it does have some sense of becoming true. i35 between SA and Austin is a pain to drive and there's so much more houses and commercial properties being built. Once the suburbs near SA and Austin fill in, they will have to move to areas will fill in the gap between the two metros.
I can only imagine how much worse the traffic will be in the coming years.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:06 AM

11,810 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Supposedly there are planned upgrades for I-35 in NW SATX and S.Austin metro so hopefully that makes things easier. I kind of wish they could extend MoPac further south to Buda and farther North to Georgetown.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:09 AM

3,890 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Supposedly there are planned upgrades for I-35 in NW SATX and S.Austin metro so hopefully that makes things easier. I kind of wish they could extend MoPac further south to Buda and farther North to Georgetown.
I agree. I've heard that widening I-35 through downtown can't happen because of land restraints. Is that really true?

Old 11-03-2020, 08:14 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
I feel like Waco identifies much more so with the Metroplex than Austin. My mother lives up there and shes knows quite a few people who go to DFW regularly for work but few to Austin. The Temple/Killeen area is the opposite. Its much more tied in with Austin.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:36 AM

Meant NE SATX**

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I agree. I've heard that widening I-35 through downtown can't happen because of land restraints. Is that really true?
I haven’t followed too closely on what they are going to do but my understanding is they are going to dig it below grade level and leave future provisions to cap it in the future. There isn’t much land there though so it will be difficult to widen I-35 without taking away property. I’d say removing those access roads and adjacent occupancies tied to them would help a lot though. Those access roads in downtown are horribly designed. It would make it kind of like MoPac.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:51 AM

5,451 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I feel like Waco identifies much more so with the Metroplex than Austin. My mother lives up there and shes knows quite a few people who go to DFW regularly for work but few to Austin. The Temple/Killeen area is the opposite. Its much more tied in with Austin.
Exactly. Waco is MUCH closer to DFW than San Antonio (referencing the title of this thread). The Waco HS teams play in DFW area leagues not Austin-area leagues. And Wacoans are mostly Cowboys and Rangers fans, not Texans and Astros fans. This, for example, is the district that the large Waco high schools currently play in. It is six DFW-area teams plus the two big Waco schools.

UIL District 11 - 6A
Cedar Hill
De Soto
Duncanville
Mansfield
Mansfield Lake Ridge
Waco
Waco Midway
Waxahachie

All the youth soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc. select leagues that Waco teams play in area also DFW-area leagues. I spent 5 years driving my daughter with her Waco select soccer team up to league games in Arlington and Plano. Never once to Austin, much less San Antonio.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:43 AM

In north 281 they are extending the freeway all the way to Comal County, and they have it planned for the future to extend the freeway all the way to Blanco County line. They are also gonna do double decker on i35 in north San Antonio and expand the freeway all the way to Schertz.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoSaldana4 View Post
In north 281 they are extending the freeway all the way to Comal County, and they have it planned for the future to extend the freeway all the way to Blanco County line. They are also gonna do double decker on i35 in north San Antonio and expand the freeway all the way to Schertz.
If 281 were somehow able to be a Freeway all the way to Lampass, and they completed I-14 through Killeen, it would make a reasonable Austin bypass route for thru traffic to San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin