Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:14 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

Parents put in an asking offer and quick close on a house in San Marcos over the weekend. Of course there was an offer “considerably higher.” Parents aren’t willing to get in the game and that’s why they aren’t getting any of these offers. I don’t know what it’ll take for them to realize they need to actually put in over asking to get a house. House was listed Thursday, they saw it Saturday and they stopped accepting offers yesterday. Ugh.

Posted this here since this was my thread about my specific needs instead of the other one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 09:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Parents put in an asking offer and quick close on a house in San Marcos over the weekend. Of course there was an offer “considerably higher.” Parents aren’t willing to get in the game and that’s why they aren’t getting any of these offers. I don’t know what it’ll take for them to realize they need to actually put in over asking to get a house. House was listed Thursday, they saw it Saturday and they stopped accepting offers yesterday. Ugh.

Posted this here since this was my thread about my specific needs instead of the other one.
I guess you could say I have mixed feelings on this phenomenon. DW works for one of the major companies helping fuel this explosive growth and the attendant housing situation. I hope said company continues to flourish; but I'm having trouble seeing what's what in the next 3-5 years.
Meanwhile, WE would like to downsize and wouldn't mind moving a little farther north(currently in Avery Ranch) to do so. UNfortunately, the market even 10 miles farther out is absolutely crazy(talking ~30 miles from downtown).

DW has some contact with her company's new arrivals and I figured we could sell our place to one of them in about five minutes!! Then, of course, WE would have no place to go!!!

I just can't imagine what 2025 will bring

Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I guess you could say I have mixed feelings on this phenomenon. DW works for one of the major companies helping fuel this explosive growth and the attendant housing situation. I hope said company continues to flourish; but I'm having trouble seeing what's what in the next 3-5 years.
Meanwhile, WE would like to downsize and wouldn't mind moving a little farther north(currently in Avery Ranch) to do so. UNfortunately, the market even 10 miles farther out is absolutely crazy(talking ~30 miles from downtown).

DW has some contact with her company's new arrivals and I figured we could sell our place to one of them in about five minutes!! Then, of course, WE would have no place to go!!!

I just can't imagine what 2025 will bring
https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...spiked-prices/

Yup, that’s the crappy thing about selling right now. There’s not many places to go.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:20 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Like Hutto isn’t really on any of our top 5 lists here. Lol

Caveat - my youngest son bought a house in Hutto Park almost 10 years ago and likes it. But that was after he had lived in Austin apartments and a Taylor duplex for over 10 years before being able to barely afford getting into home ownership. His house has more than doubled in value since he bought it.
Weird thing is, his monthly payments are a lot less than the average 1 bedroom apartment rentals in the Austin/RR burbs.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:24 AM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Like Hutto isn’t really on any of our top 5 lists here. Lol

Caveat - my youngest son bought a house in Hutto Park almost 10 years ago and likes it. But that was after he had lived in Austin apartments and a Taylor duplex for over 10 years before being able to barely afford getting into home ownership. His house has more than doubled in value since he bought it.
Weird thing is, his monthly payments are a lot less than the average 1 bedroom apartment rentals in the Austin/RR burbs.
Did he put down a large down payment or extend the loan terms beyond 30 years?

Old 05-06-2021, 10:47 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Minimum down payment for a 30 year mortgage, IIRC.
The house was a foreclosure, so he got it well below appraisal.
It is a 4/2/2 with 1880 sq/ft. Built in 2007.
Just he & his SO live there... and two yappy little dogs.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:12 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...spiked-prices/

Yup, that’s the crappy thing about selling right now. There’s not many places to go.
Interesting article. And spot on re: people building on the higher sold prices. At first, people were asking for the high 500s/low 600s at the tale end of 2020, then a home in 2021 hit the market for 675k. That home sold, and then two more homes hit the market for 675-685k. then the home that was priced at 675k closed at 875k. Another home or two hit the market, and they were now asking for 700-750k, with the 750k home being dated. The 685k home closed at 836k, so now we have two comps that are in the 800s. One of the 700k to start homes went under contract over the weekend with multiple offers, wouldn't be surprised if it closed at 800k or so, given that it was updated and had a pool house. It is a little over 3000 sq ft between the two homes. The homes I've mentioned are in the 3000 sq ft and up range. So now there's a floor selling price of 800k now.

As the shocked transplant laments, the days of getting a really large home in a sterling school district for 500k-600k are over.

In my neighborhood and surrounding area, smaller homes (2800 sq ft) are asking for 500-550k, and getting far more. One recently closed on another street for 700k. So if you're expecting 3000 sq ft, be prepared to spend 700-800k and while the schools are good, they're not the best of RRISD.

It's not affordable to live in Austin or the inner ring suburbs any longer.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:31 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Update in 2023: The house mentioned above had something like 32 offers. Not sure what the selling price was (it might have been the one mentioned a few pages back they was sold at 447k). But, the guy who bought it is currently trying to sell it for $639k. He tried to sell at this price once last year as a FSBO and is trying this year with a realtor. I don’t understand why a smart realtor would even suggest going in at this price. But that’s not my problem.

My parents are in the process of purchasing in Plum Creek. This was a sharp right turn from what they originally set out for, but they’ve recognized that they don’t need the extra yard space anymore. The prices in plum creek are on the lower end for the kyle area, but still about average/above things pre covid. The obvious change in market conditions helped too as the house they’re going to buy was on the market for about three weeks and had a few price drops.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-25-2023 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin