Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 01:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I tried to find the article, but it’s not up yet. I heard on KVUE today that out of staters moving to Austin, on average have had a budget of about 830k to buy a home, which is about 32% higher then those in state. I’ll keep an eye out for the article.
I can say that the owners of the 800k homes recently purchased in my neighborhood are from out of state, specifically california and colorado. No sooner do the homes hit the market they are snatched up and are at least 100k over asking now. I'm wondering if the people from 2020 wish they held onto their homes one year longer lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 01:28 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
I do think that the absurd cost of construction right now is a factor. If not for that you might see more teardown and renovation projects that would help relieve some of the demand in the central neighborhoods. The supply of freshly renovated homes seems very low.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I can say that the owners of the 800k homes recently purchased in my neighborhood are from out of state, specifically california and colorado. No sooner do the homes hit the market they are snatched up and are at least 100k over asking now. I'm wondering if the people from 2020 wish they held onto their homes one year longer lol.
Some friends sold their condo a year ago, so maybe missed out on $30K ??? BUT, they got into their new build at a fair price...I'm sure it's not so fair now!!!

Old 06-07-2021, 02:02 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I’m sure my brother could’ve gotten another $50k-$100k if he had waited to sell his old house near Mount Bonnell now instead of 10 months ago, but his new house in G-town would’ve negated the extra windfall if he was buying that one today.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:04 PM

283 posts, read 255,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I dunno, the current situation seems like uncharted waters to me.
This. Something weird is going on. I don't see how this is sustainable.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I do think that the absurd cost of construction right now is a factor. If not for that you might see more teardown and renovation projects that would help relieve some of the demand in the central neighborhoods. The supply of freshly renovated homes seems very low.
I saw an article saying that the cost of lumber alone would add $37,500 to the cost of an 'average' home compared to one year ago.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:09 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I tried to find the article, but it’s not up yet. I heard on KVUE today that out of staters moving to Austin, on average have had a budget of about 830k to buy a home, which is about 32% higher then those in state. I’ll keep an eye out for the article.
"An earlier Redfin report found that local buyers have an average budget of $644,771, but out-of-towners are coming with more money to spend, an average budget of $852,276 to buy a home."

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/e...d-8a6d384c6cf4

Old 06-07-2021, 04:13 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Yeah and none of the "expert" economists thought anything was wrong in 2007 either
Big differences:

Tighter lending standards (no liar loans)

More equity in homes

Business Expansion in the Austin area (fueling a population explosion and lots of money coming this way)

I also suspect there will be no false neighborhoods. In other words, people living in homes and not out-of-state investors. I don't think it's profitable in this market for an investor to buy up and try and make a profit renting out a home. Sell and hold (or flip) sure, but not rentals.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:41 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I saw an article saying that the cost of lumber alone would add $37,500 to the cost of an 'average' home compared to one year ago.
I believe that for sure. I got some quotes for construction recently and it was extremely high. If prices do fall some in the Austin market I think normalizing construction costs would be the primary driver. (That or complete economic collapse, but it's very difficult for me to imagine that after we just exited--at least locally--the worst global pandemic in a century).

Old 06-08-2021, 05:25 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Big differences:

Tighter lending standards (no liar loans)

More equity in homes

Business Expansion in the Austin area (fueling a population explosion and lots of money coming this way)

I also suspect there will be no false neighborhoods. In other words, people living in homes and not out-of-state investors. I don't think it's profitable in this market for an investor to buy up and try and make a profit renting out a home. Sell and hold (or flip) sure, but not rentals.
How is it not profitable to invest right now? There are bidding wars on rentals in hot areas of the city and investors are buying homes well over asking, in cash, site unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin