Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 04:56 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Savers and Ollie's
There used to be several Savers in Austin. They closed right before the pandemic. There is still one in Cedar Park. The only other Texas location is in El Paso. Upon googling it looks like Austin was not the only place where they closed either.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 08:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
They are regional, and have a very very much higher knowledge of what exactly their markets want, and provide that at low prices. Among other things (they are often lauded for their management, nationally during the COVID crisis.) National chains have difficulty competing when they depend on consistency across all their stores for efficiency.

This. HEB has ALL the demographics and knows how to use them. I'm a grocery store groupie, having been a personal chef in a past life (or vice versa, not sure which came first), and have shopped at most of the HEB's (and other stores) in the area and have favorites for one thing or another all across Central Texas. HEB tailors their stores to the area they are in (or are about to be in - no real estate agent worth their salt doesn't pay attention to what HEB is doing because that's a good way to predict the market).

HEB buys land and holds it, sometimes for decades, until they judge it is the right time to build because the market is/will shortly be there. And then they sell what that market wants.

Add that to the fact that in disasters they tend to beat everyone, Red Cross, FEMA, everyone, to the area with help of all kinds - food, water, assistance in figuring out insurance claims, you name it (they have a fleet of semis for just this), and brand loyalty is created, and that's really hard for other chains to compete with.

It's not that they are aggressively running other chains out, just that they are working hard to serve their customers in ways both grocery and beyond grocery.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:21 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Kroger never had a very big presence here in Austin to begin with; it isn't like they got run out, they just never grew beyond one or two stores and eventually focused elsewhere.

The people that own/owned HEB are actually very GOOD people in the sense that they have historically cared about helping people out - whether customers or employees or just people in general. That, combined with being a private company that doesn't have to worry about shareholders, gives them an edge on many other big grocery stores.

I will disagree with THL a little - they are very aware of the competition and make decisions based on what the competition may or may not be doing. Those properties they hold for decades? Part of the reason is to obscure what they are planning to do and make it difficult for the competition to know where an HEB may pop up one day.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:54 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
My tiny Oak Hill HEB is closing in the next week or so.

I’m actually pretty sad about it. Sometimes you don’t want to run the gauntlet of a huge parking lot and massive-sized store to buy milk and eggs. The Oak Hill HEB is old and decrepit but full of soul. I will miss Ophie, HEB’s longest-time employee, who has been there greeting customers forever.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:06 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post

I’m actually pretty sad about it. Sometimes you don’t want to run the gauntlet of a huge parking lot and massive-sized store to buy milk and eggs. The Oak Hill HEB is old and decrepit but full of soul. I will miss Ophie, HEB’s longest-time employee, who has been there greeting customers forever.
The OH HEB is closed as of Tuesday, I think? And the new one opened the same day or the next? I have not been to the new one, so not sure. They were busing employees from the old store parking lot to the new one, I think.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I'm so sorry to hear that it's closing. Long ago, when we lived in Barton Hills and our daughter went to the Waldorf School in Oak Hill, I shopped there often.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that it's closing. Long ago, when we lived in Barton Hills and our daughter went to the Waldorf School in Oak Hill, I shopped there often.
THL, you’d be disgusted if you saw what’s happening in Oak Hill. Massive swaths of trees felled in the middle of the night along a three mile stretch of 290 and about a mile up 71 … for the Oak Hill Parkway project. Which is why they decided to shut that HEB down. It’s going to be swallowed by this project.

It’s a little heartbreaking. So many trees.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
THL, you’d be disgusted if you saw what’s happening in Oak Hill. Massive swaths of trees felled in the middle of the night along a three mile stretch of 290 and about a mile up 71 … for the Oak Hill Parkway project. Which is why they decided to shut that HEB down. It’s going to be swallowed by this project.

It’s a little heartbreaking. So many trees.

I see that in so many places these days. Determinedly destroying everything that makes a place worth living in, in obeisance to almighty mammon. Heartbreaking, indeed.

Old 10-30-2021, 10:50 AM

I feel like my part of town is going to need a new name once they kill all the oaks and grade the hills into flat mesas.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:07 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,893,911 times
Quote:
I feel like my part of town is going to need a new name once they kill all the oaks and grade the hills into flat mesas.
Oak Kill. It’s pronounced the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin