Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:23 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I've personally been waiting to see if Birmingham would end up catching the growth virus after all the 'premier' mid-sized cities either grew too large or became too expensive (or both) .. .. but yes you are right, B'Ham actually has some nice areas surrounding it.
I did a stint out there for work, back when the city was going bankrupt. Lots of crooked politics going on there and quite a bit of crime, or at least there was at the time. The area is beautiful, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 10:30 AM

11,855 posts, read 8,077,832 times
Main issue for me with Chicago is the weather. I couldn't handle their winters for very long.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:46 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,074,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemc View Post
What would you do if you couldn't afford your ideal home in Austin? Would you buy a smaller home in Austin or move to the outskirts?

Or would it make more sense to move to Ft Worth/Dallas/San Antonio/Houston to get a larger home?

(Budget is @ $450)

First world problems, I know.

There is no "right" answer, as it depends a lot on your commuting needs, lifestyle, and a lot of things you haven't stated. Also, a "good decision" today may not age well as our needs all change over time.

But it is worth computing the entire Cost of Ownership for your various options. In the old days, the real estate saying "driving until you can afford it" actually worked very well for many. Not so much anymore as the actual cost of commuting (when properly computing all of the elements) often washes out the "cheaper" purchase price of a home for 2-income commuting couples.

And if you really want the "vibe" of living "in" Austin, it's better, as mentioned upthread, to my the smallest house you can affordin an area you want and learn to live with less space.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
There is no "right" answer, as it depends a lot on your commuting needs, lifestyle, and a lot of things you haven't stated. Also, a "good decision" today may not age well as our needs all change over time.

But it is worth computing the entire Cost of Ownership for your various options. In the old days, the real estate saying "driving until you can afford it" actually worked very well for many. Not so much anymore as the actual cost of commuting (when properly computing all of the elements) often washes out the "cheaper" purchase price of a home for 2-income commuting couples.

And if you really want the "vibe" of living "in" Austin, it's better, as mentioned upthread, to my the smallest house you can affordin an area you want and learn to live with less space.
It really does depend WHERE you live in Austin, though, to get that "vibe" (whatever that is any more).

Simply having an Austin zipcode doesn't make for having the "vibe". Who can really tell the difference between parts of Austin adjacent to Cedar Park and Cedar Park? SW Austin and Dripping?

And with remote work, that saying doesn't really apply anymore. I know very few in my neighborhood commute into Austin or commute at all. I'm the only one on my block, and that is three days out of the week, not 5. I've cut my car wear and tear bill and transit costs too.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
Birmingham's murder rate outpaces Chicago, Washington DC, Detroit

https://abc3340.com/news/local/birmi...-washington-dc

but hey, at least it's not Jackson, MS. Highest per capita murder rate in the US.

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/01/01/anal...ks-highest-us/

seriously though, I've heard nearby Chatanooga was underrated.
Almost all violent crime is committed by people known to the victim. I use actual real life experience.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:26 PM

539 posts, read 443,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Almost all violent crime is committed by people known to the victim. I use actual real life experience.
All the more reason not to get acquainted with you.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:31 PM

1,085 posts, read 696,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
All the more reason not to get acquainted with you.
SMH. Go back to your outdated stats and rants.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:32 PM

319 posts, read 347,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The taxes will accrue over time (with 8% simple interest) but they will be paid out of the estate (if you die) or the sales price (if you sell).
I think the interest rate is 5%, not 8%.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:54 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,686,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangergrit View Post
I think the interest rate is 5%, not 8%.
I believe you are correct. I think it was 8% some long time ago, but I did notice Harris county was 5%. I did not check whether that was a state-mandated interest rate or could vary somewhat by county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin