Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 AM

240 posts, read 838,247 times

Advertisements

So I'm truly not a dog hater, I actually like dogs, but I don't want to live next to one, or rather I don't want to live next to anyone who lets his or her dog bark and bark and bark. I'm in that situation now, where the neighbors just don't seem to give a you know what. Understandably dogs will bark, but that in and of itself is not the problem.

The problem is that my current neighbors let their dogs bark whenever and sometimes for rather extended periods of time. Read: hours. Want to sleep in? Forget it. A barking dog will wake you up before 7AM. Go to bed at 11PM? Hey, no worries, someone's dog will bark at midnight and wake you up. Open your windows to get some fresh air? Bark, bark, bark. Oh, and let's not forget using your own yard. You'll get barked at until you retreat indoors.

While I've tried a number of things, from talking with the neighbors to bark control devices, nothing works, so I've come to the conclusion that, if I want to be free of this barking, I need to move. That poses a potential problem though. I don't want to move only to find myself living next to someone else who lets his or her dog bark and bark and bark. So, is there any place in or around Austin that I can go bark free?

Work will be at the UT, and I'd like a 20-30 minute commute time. I'd prefer an established neighborhood, one that is quiet and walkable. I really enjoy taking a walk though a park on weekend mornings, stopping by the local coffee shop to grab a cup of joe, and then later picking up some lunch at the local deli. I'd like to purchase a 3/2/2 that is away from a busy street and under 150K. Of course I'd like it to be safe, but schools are not a concern, as the kids are grown.

Does such a place exist, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:18 AM

122 posts, read 407,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
So I'm truly not a dog hater, I actually like dogs, but I don't want to live next to one, or rather I don't want to live next to anyone who lets his or her dog bark and bark and bark. I'm in that situation now, where the neighbors just don't seem to give a you know what. Understandably dogs will bark, but that in and of itself is not the problem.

The problem is that my current neighbors let their dogs bark whenever and sometimes for rather extended periods of time. Read: hours. Want to sleep in? Forget it. A barking dog will wake you up before 7AM. Go to bed at 11PM? Hey, no worries, someone's dog will bark at midnight and wake you up. Open your windows to get some fresh air? Bark, bark, bark. Oh, and let's not forget using your own yard. You'll get barked at until you retreat indoors.

While I've tried a number of things, from talking with the neighbors to bark control devices, nothing works, so I've come to the conclusion that, if I want to be free of this barking, I need to move. That poses a potential problem though. I don't want to move only to find myself living next to someone else who lets his or her dog bark and bark and bark. So, is there any place in or around Austin that I can go bark free?

Work will be at the UT, and I'd like a 20-30 minute commute time. I'd prefer an established neighborhood, one that is quiet and walkable. I really enjoy taking a walk though a park on weekend mornings, stopping by the local coffee shop to grab a cup of joe, and then later picking up some lunch at the local deli. I'd like to purchase a 3/2/2 that is away from a busy street and under 150K. Of course I'd like it to be safe, but schools are not a concern, as the kids are grown.

Does such a place exist, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
You will have to move to the country and get some land. However, you can't for 150K unless you live in a trailer on your land. Seriously, you might move to a "bark free zone" and then have a neighbor sell and move in with a dog. There are no guarantees, and you hopefully, HOA won't start dictating that we can't have our pups.

Make sure you have dual paned windows, which will block outside noise.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
I think you're more of an irresponsible dog owner hater.
Stop Dog Barking With The Ultimate Dog Silencer Pro - Safe, Humane Anti Bark Control Product

Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Are there city/HOA noise restrictions? It is technically disturbing the peace where I live (not Austin). The problem is the police can take hours to respond to something that is not an emergency and this would mean that the dogs would have to still be barking when they finally arrive and, if you are like me, you wouldn't call until they've been barking for at least an hour in the first place. I, as s dog owner, hate people like your neighbors as they make us all look bad.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:54 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
Are you in a subdivision that has a homeowners association? If so, report it to them and they will write a letter. This is one incidence where the HOA can do some good. You could also call animal control and they (I think) can contact the owner. At least they will be able to give you advice on what to do next.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,793 times
Austin does have rules on noisy animals.

§ 3-2-2 NOISY ANIMALS.
An owner or handler may not keep an animal that makes frequent or long, continued noise that is disturbing to a person of normal sensibilities.

Source: 1992 Code Section 3-3-6; Ord. 031009-9; Ord. 031211-11.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Yeah, this dog owner needs to get their dog under control. I adopted a dog who likes to bark. But when she barks more than a few times I command her to stop. Usually she will. Its about be responsible and courteous. Unfortunately, these two traits are severing lacking and disappearing in America- and thats not just when it comes to dogs too. I would throw kids in there as well. I was at my sisters college graduation and this couple had 4 kids screaming and yelling and running wild right behind me.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:40 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
You know how it works.... you'll find the perfect house with no dogs next door and within a year both houses beside you will sell to dog fanatics.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You know how it works.... you'll find the perfect house with no dogs next door and within a year both houses beside you will sell to dog fanatics.
There is nothing wrong with dog fanatics as long as they properly train, discipline, and care for their dogs.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It doesn't work. Animal treats and a high pressure water hose works much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin